Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still reckon he needs a year in ISC. Didnt do Inglis any harm at all.
The genie is already out of the bottle. Unless he tanks, he won't spend any considerable time in Queensland Cup.

GI is the exception, not the rule. He was 17 when he was tearing teams apart in QCup, so he was already far advanced of where he should have been. By the time GI was Coates' age he was in the Australian team and right up there with Hodges and Gasnier as the most dangerous player in the competition. I don't think Melbourne were necessarily patient with him, GI just bought himself that development time with his ability.

The genie is already out of the bottle. Unless he tanks, he won't spend any considerable time in Queensland Cup.

GI is the exception, not the rule. He was 17 when he was tearing teams apart in QCup, so he was already far advanced of where he should have been. By the time GI was Coates' age he was in the Australian team and right up there with Hodges and Gasnier as the most dangerous player in the competition. I don't think Melbourne were necessarily patient with him, GI just bought himself that development time with his ability.

Plus Slater being suspended so often.

Put him on Addo-Carrs vacant wing position in 2022 getting fed ball by Munster. Kids a freak in the making.
Probably, doesn’t mean we need to get sucked into paying overs.

Honestly just **** him off. He wants to play these shit games of making sure he is seen having coffee with rivals then just get rid of him. The culture is shot and the last thing we need is entitled brats like him that think the owe the club nothing and deserve the world after a handful of tries scored and triple that amount let in.
Dude this smells very Brodie Croftish to me. Could be a bit of retaliation or just a **** you to Brisbane

I think he needs it. He makes so many fundamental errors i think he is quite a liability when we are under pressure. He isnt that good yet. Its the same with Niu, Paix, Bullemor etc. They need to learn their trade and ISC is the best place for them imo. Doesnt really matter that Inglis was more advanced than they are, he still took a lot away from his time in QCup, and i feel we have a number of blokes who would as well.

I think he needs it. He makes so many fundamental errors i think he is quite a liability when we are under pressure. He isnt that good yet. Its the same with Niu, Paix, Bullemor etc. They need to learn their trade and ISC is the best place for them imo. Doesnt really matter that Inglis was more advanced than they are, he still took a lot away from his time in QCup, and i feel we have a number of blokes who would as well.
It does matter because GI only spent time in QCup because of how far advanced he was when he was 17. Once he was promoted into the NRL system, he never looked back, so the comparison doesn't match.

Coates is considered one of the best prospects in the competition despite his flaws. I agree that he should have spent more time in QCup, but that was largely out of the club's hands. It's too late now and he'll play far more NRL than QCup unless he tanks.

To change tack completely, You learn numbers to leave numbers and skills to leave skill. GI would have drilled and drilled those foundational skills in QCup, and then never looked back because of HUGE amounts of repetition. 10,000 hours is a similar idea, the first thing was from a IM chess player speaking as why great chess players see more, but it is transferable to everything. C Smith, has put in so much work that what he does looks sublime because he is so far ahead of the rest in his skill set. L Bird was another in the same mould, E Johnson, M Jordan, A Langer, the list of skilled and disciplined players goes on and on. We can get there, but none of out kids have the gumption to put the work in to hit 100 drives between a shed and house without having to reset for hitting either. (Bradman btw)

It does matter because GI only spent time in QCup because of how far advanced he was when he was 17. Once he was promoted into the NRL system, he never looked back, so the comparison doesn't match.

Coates is considered one of the best prospects in the competition despite his flaws. I agree that he should have spent more time in QCup, but that was largely out of the club's hands. It's too late now and he'll play far more NRL than QCup unless he tanks.

I dont think it matters one little bit tbh mate. Inglis developed at a different rate to others, but he still got benefit from playing for the Devils. To me the age doesnt matter, it whether it helps their game and if it was the best thing for the player at that time. I dont think you are wrong about Inglis, i just dont think one size fits all.

Coates wasnt really that good for the Bronco's in all honesty this year. He good moments, but i think his game lacks a lot. You cant really blame the club for throwing him in, and its not the Broncos fault there was no ISC. I'd personally just like to see us try to develop him in the centers. Thats where he will end up long term i believe.

I could be totally wrong and he kills it this year, i really hope he steps up. I just worry he will get thrown in the team because our options at center are so bad that we have to play Farnworth there instead of on the wing, which is where i think he is better. At Coates age, unless he is playing the house down i think the best way to manage Xavier is to use him sparingly. He is still only 19.

Last edited:
Now that Coates was picked for QLD, there's no way he's going to be sent to QLD cup. If he is, he's going to leave for sure and there would be no point to actually putting him in QLD cup.

I'm not a huge fan of him as a player right now, I think he's about as close to the next GI as Croft is to the next Cronk and Milford to the next Thurston. If people believe he's got potential though, the Broncos pretty much have no choice but to play him in first grade and hope he stays.

Last edited:
To me the age doesnt matter

In GI's case it does because one of the key reasons he played as much QCup as he did was because he was too young to be a full-time footballer.

It's different from the Coates situation where he's already established himself in the NRL and then sending him back to QCup for a season. I'm struggling to think of any player who went through that process and actually made a name for themselves.

What makes it especially unlikely is that the Broncos don't have a lot of other options to replace him. If they had a better player lying around then maybe but at this stage I don't think they have that option.

maybe worth seeing what is on offer for 2022 for outside backs

In GI's case it does because one of the key reasons he played as much QCup as he did was because he was too young to be a full-time footballer.

It's different from the Coates situation where he's already established himself in the NRL and then sending him back to QCup for a season. I'm struggling to think of any player who went through that process and actually made a name for themselves.

What makes it especially unlikely is that the Broncos don't have a lot of other options to replace him. If they had a better player lying around then maybe but at this stage I don't think they have that option.

I would hardly say Coates has established himself yet, but this year is a bit of an anomaly as well due to Covid. There hasnt been a year of footy comparable to this year to use as a yardstick. I can't see any negative in letting players like Coates or Niu get some ISC under their belts in 2021. If their form demands it anyway, they will be in the NRL side. I just hope we dont get caught in the trap of giving them game time just to try to keep them here. They need to earn it, not be given it to make them sign a contract.

I actually think we have options ( based on what i saw this year, things could change for 2021 depending on form ) who would offer us more consitency and steadiness than Coates. Farnworth is a winger imo, and i think he is a better option but we will probably play him center. Kennar, while im not a fan is a bit more reliable than Coates. His highs are nowhere near as high as Coates, but his lows arent anywhere near as low either. He's just the safe, steady option. I guess if Kevvie is prepared to let Coates develop and make his mistakes in the NRL, and he thinks he can handle it then i'd agree and say we will be seeing him on the wing all year.

Is Coates supposed to be back at training already?

Also Foordy I wish I could be as positive as you about this but Bellamy rarely misses out on players he chases.
Dude this smells very Brodie Croftish to me. Could be a bit of retaliation or just a **** you to Brisbane
I’d be surprised if the Storm even remember Brodie Croft

Saw a quote from Tom Trbojevic and his brother about re-signing with Manly. Said both knew there was maybe big money on offer elsewhere, but told their managers they don't even want to look around - Manly is where they want to be and as long as the offer is reasonable then get the deal done, they were happy and wanted to stay loyal.
Was touching and refreshing to see considering every player we have wants to innocently 'test the waters of the open market' before they're even off contract. It's half the grubby managers and half these poorly guided players.
This 'its just a game' / 'its all business' type mentality is eating away at the fabric of our game and it's good to see a couple of talented young fellas use a bit of common sense and old fashioned loyalty to make an easy decision in everyone's best interests.
Good on them, wish we had more players like that here.
The Way we were!

Blake Ferguson... Low 30’s cheap experienced still has representative potential
Always thought it would be worth checking out what semi radradra is up to

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• broncsgoat
  • Dash
  • Foordy
  • Broncosgirl
  • Johnny92
  • I bleed Maroon
  • BroncosAlways
  • winslow_wong
  • jarro65
  • Fozz
  • Sproj
  • Aldo
  • Strop
  • Scorchie
  • barker
  • Thelmus
  • bert_lifts
  • ChewThePhatt
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.