Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
BroncosFever

BroncosFever

State of Origin Rep
Jun 6, 2014
You can't judge Hodgson based on this year, the Raiders are a mess, I had them being one of the teams battling it out to win the comp

They've got issues that are bit deeper than on-field performance

HarryAllan7

HarryAllan7

QCup Player
Jul 20, 2017
I could be mistaken, but I thought he was.

I only know this because I thought exactly the same until I looked it up properly the other day.

He has played for the NRL all-stars rather than the Indigenous team on numerous occasions and there's an interview online where he talks about the fact that his partner and most of his best friends growing up in Redfern are indigenous, but he is not.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
You can't judge Hodgson based on this year, the Raiders are a mess, I had them being one of the teams battling it out to win the comp

They've got issues that are bit deeper than on-field performance

He is also coming from a blown knee, that takes time.

N

Nightwatchman

NYC Player
Aug 16, 2016
He is also coming from a blown knee, that takes time.
That's the biggest risk in my opinion signing Josh Hodgson he has done two ACL's. I think its even more of a risk then the potential downside with the view he overplays his hand and stifles the attack.

If Hodgson came here it better not be for top dollar. The days of Jack Bird's contract sucking up the cap while he is injured on the sidelines are not a too distant memory.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
Wasn't too long ago Hodgson was the 2nd best hooker in the game and his creativity was pretty invaluable.
I think odds are against him to recapture that form but who knows.

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
I'm dead against signing anyone on huge money. I don't want a half committed half on mega dollars. I'd like to see Ponga and Walker signed but again, not on massive cash.
Please, no to Reynolds or SJ. I hope they all knock us back and do us a favour. I'd love A Taylor on 400-500 a season.

BroncosFever

BroncosFever

State of Origin Rep
Jun 6, 2014
Ash Taylor has been a complete failure for the Titans, you rarely hear about it but seriously.. he's been on 1m a season, he was supposed to be the guy they build their team around

If Milford has been horrible for us, Ash Taylor for the Titans has been just as bad, at least every once in a while Milford will do something brilliant, I can't re-call anything from Taylor. The try assist for Oates on Friday night was nice though.

Skyblues87

Skyblues87

QCup Player
Feb 9, 2017
If Reynolds and Hodgson are signed it wont be because they want to be here but because we are offering too much money to refuse. Just my opinion but I dont want that type of player at the Broncos.

lynx000

lynx000

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 28, 2008
I'm dead against signing anyone on huge money. I don't want a half committed half on mega dollars. I'd like to see Ponga and Walker signed but again, not on massive cash.
Please, no to Reynolds or SJ. I hope they all knock us back and do us a favour. I'd love A Taylor on 400-500 a season.
I'd like to win $50 mill or so in the lottery, but that is not going to happen. The current iteration of the Broncos are not going to sign the ilk of Ponga, Walker or even Reynolds and SJ on reasonable contracts. It is just not going to happen I am afraid.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
I'd like to win $50 mill or so in the lottery, but that is not going to happen. The current iteration of the Broncos are not going to sign the ilk of Ponga, Walker or even Reynolds and SJ on reasonable contracts. It is just not going to happen I am afraid.

Yep, this is the reality of being a cellar dweller, it is just as a club, we aren't used to being down here. But as a Lions' fan, I am well versed in how difficult it is to get good players to come when you suck.

lynx000

lynx000

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 28, 2008
Yep, this is the reality of being a cellar dweller, it is just as a club, we aren't used to being down here. But as a Lions' fan, I am well versed in how difficult it is to get good players to come when you suck.
And the thing that pisses me off Sprojie, is that once again, rather than a targetted and systematic recruiting process, we seem to be throwing darts at a board and hoping we hit a bullseye. If we sign someone like Reynolds or Johnson and we do not have a young halfback who is intended to be the 10 year half for the Broncos to be mentored by them, in 2-3 years time we are looking for a new halfback again.

If we had that player, this scheme makes some sense, because at the end of the 2-3 years, hopefully that half is ready to take over. I thought that was supposed to be Dearden, but they let him go. I fear that we are constantly looking for the short term fix and not looking long term.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
And the thing that pisses me off Sprojie, is that once again, rather than a targetted and systematic recruiting process, we seem to be throwing darts at a board and hoping we hit a bullseye. If we sign someone like Reynolds or Johnson and we do not have a young halfback who is intended to be the 10 year half for the Broncos to be mentored by them, in 2-3 years time we are looking for a new halfback again.

If we had that player, this scheme makes some sense, because at the end of the 2-3 years, hopefully that half is ready to take over. I thought that was supposed to be Dearden, but they let him go. I fear that we are constantly looking for the short term fix and not looking long term.

Looking for the short-term fix without looking long term and failing at the short-term fix as well unfortunately.

N

Nightwatchman

NYC Player
Aug 16, 2016

Spot on. In fact Kalyn Ponga is on massive money right now at the Knights. If we came to his manager and said 'ummmm he can come here on $500,000 a year on a two year deal with a third year option in our favor'. We would be laughed out of the room.

The only one of those names that you mentioned I don't think has great leverage is Shaun Johnson. I actually don't know if he has been as great at the Sharks as some people make out. The Sharks never really went to the promise land when he was healthy. Johnson tenure at the Warriors didn't end that well either. So I don't think he has the luxury of being that choosey.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Spot on. In fact Kalyn Ponga is on massive money right now at the Knights. If we came to his manager and said 'ummmm he can come here on $500,000 a year on a two year deal with a third year option in our favor'. We would be laughed out of the room.

The only one of those names that you mentioned I don't think has great leverage is Shaun Johnson. I actually don't know if he has been as great at the Sharks as some people make out. The Sharks never really went to the promise land when he was healthy. Johnson tenure at the Warriors didn't end that well either. So I don't think he has the luxury of being that choosey.

assuming we are even discussing Ponga ... where did you pull the 500k a season figure from?

N

Nightwatchman

NYC Player
Aug 16, 2016
assuming we are even discussing Ponga ... where did you pull the 500k a season figure from?

I was giving an example using the figure the poster provided. The poster suggested Ash Taylor on $400k or 500k. And suggested if Ponga was to come here it shouldn't be for big money. The fact is we don't have leverage to be offering Ponga a moderate figure or a lowball figure. Ponga is reportedly on 1.1 million a year. To suggest Ponga would come here not on a massive big money offer is not plausible.

NSW stables

NSW stables

NRL Player
May 3, 2019
too many blues in the team,

i hate the thought of having staggs and reynolds as our halves pairing
If we are running staggs at 6, reynolds would be about the best half available as a halves pairing. Reynolds has a history playing with walker (albeit with more ball and kicking skills) who is largely a runner of the ball. So his game would not need to change too much.

SJ is currently partnered with a more traditional half and i am not sure about widdop's half partner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Galah
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Sproj
  • Astro
  • Johnny92
  • Mighty Bronx
  • Rowdy124
  • Fozz
  • davidp
  • Manofoneway
  • Jedhead
  • Old Mate
  • Justwin
  • Rambstien
  • Battler
  • Aldo
  • BroncosAlways
  • Brocko
  • Mr Fourex
... and 30 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.