Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
People are surprisingly risk averse on signings considering the alternative means playing the guys already on our roster, and we all saw how that roster performed this year.
It’s a balance for sure. You don’t want to panic sign anyone who’s available, and you don’t want to ignore decent opportunities because they aren’t Harry Grant or Tedesco.

I think Widdop at 500k falls perfectly in the middle. A little risky but many upsides.

Hi, welcome to the NRL. Would you like to learn from scratch to play one of the most important positions on the field in the most difficult circumstances possible now?
Gutho was a centre/winger when he came into the NRL.. He won Dally M fullback of the year this year...

You don't come out of the womb born with 1 position.. Bit of a weak take.. I am backing Herbie as I believe he is just a "genuine footy player". He seems like the kind of player with the ability to maintain composure. He's not small either.. 190cms tall.

Last edited:
It’s a balance for sure. You don’t want to panic sign anyone who’s available, and you don’t want to ignore decent opportunities because they aren’t Harry Grant or Tedesco.

I think Widdop at 500k falls perfectly in the middle. A little risky but many upsides.
Exactly right. With the money we have available you simply aren't going to get options that don't carry some reasonable amount of risk. Some will be age/injury, others will be attitude and some will even be down to quality or potential.

In the state we're in, we simply have to be prepared to accept some risk in anyone we recuit.

Last edited:
Gutho was a centre/winger when he came into the NRL.. He won Dally M fullback of the year this year...

You don't come out of the womb born with 1 position.. Bit of a weak take.. I am backing Herbie as I believe he is just a "genuine footy player". He seems like the kind of player with the ability to maintain composure. He's not small either.. 190cms tall.
He may have debuted in the NRL as a Winger/Centre, but I think you'll find he was very much a Fullback coming up the grades. That's wildly different to what you're suggesting.

if you had 500k free though would it be better spent front loading some contracts to free up money for 2022?

if you had 500k free though would it be better spent front loading some contracts to free up money for 2022?
Have people honestly not looked at our other Fullback options if we don't sign someone soon?

Have people honestly not looked at our other Fullback options if we don't sign someone soon?
who a busted widdop?
may aswell put paix at 6 and milford at fullback and watch him roll around next year

Last edited:
Slim pickings for 21 not 22 . Brimson, RTS, branden Smith , schuster , manu just to name a few for 22 . Didn't actually compare them but im definitely not a big fan of widdop , just think he has a good boot on him .
All those players you’ve named are contracted until the end of 22. Meaning we sign them November next year but can’t have them until 2023. Again, Widdop on a 2 year deal is gone before Brimson is even available.

There seems to be a lot of confusion around how the player market works.

* = Off contract player we could sign

1. Herbie Farnworth
2. Edene Gebbie*
3. Dane Gagai*
4. Kotoni Staggs
5. Xavier Coates
6. Gareth Widdop*
7. Thomas Dearden
8. Payne Haas
9. Jake Friend*
10. Thomas Flegler
11. Brendan Piakura
12. Jordan Riki
13. Patrick Carrigan
17. Eddie Blacker*

Released:

Tevita Pangai
Corey Oates
Ben Te'o
Alex Glenn
Jesse Arthars
Andrew McCullough
Brodie Croft
Anthony Milford
Jake Turpin
Matthew Lodge
Rhys Kennedy

Last edited:
So you front load contracts now and keep the team that won the spoon until 2023 when decent players are available?
there was a reason dragons fans were happy to see the back of widdop

1. Herbie Farnworth
2. Edene Gebbie*
3. Dane Gagai*
4. Kotoni Staggs
5. Xavier Coates
6. Gareth Widdop*
7. Thomas Dearden
8. Payne Haas
9. Jake Friend*
10. Thomas Flegler
11. Brendan Piakura
12. Jordan Riki
13. Patrick Carrigan
17. Eddie Blacker*

Released:

Tevita Pangai
Corey Oates
Ben Te'o
Alex Glenn
Jesse Arthars
Andrew McCullough
Brodie Croft
Anthony Milford
Jake Turpin
Matthew Lodge
Rhys Kennedy

Aside from Gagai and arguably Widdop, how is that a better team?

1. Herbie Farnworth
2. Edene Gebbie*
3. Dane Gagai*
4. Kotoni Staggs
5. Xavier Coates
6. Gareth Widdop*
7. Thomas Dearden
8. Payne Haas
9. Jake Friend*
10. Thomas Flegler
11. Brendan Piakura
12. Jordan Riki
13. Patrick Carrigan
17. Eddie Blacker*

Released:

Tevita Pangai
Corey Oates
Ben Te'o
Alex Glenn
Jesse Arthars
Andrew McCullough
Brodie Croft
Anthony Milford
Jake Turpin
Matthew Lodge
Rhys Kennedy
Gebbie isn't off contract- he doesn't have one.

Aside from Gagai and arguably Widdop, how is that a better team?
In 2022 most of these players will be a lot better. They will improve dramatically. I'd rather keep cap space free and upgrade whoever we need to. Widdop and Friend would be able to steer the ship.

Names like Bullemor, Blacker, Schonig, Piakura, Farnworth and Gebbie may not read so impressively on paper at the moment.. But in my opinion they could all have very bright futures in the NRL.

Our main issue has been our spine. We only need a couple signings to fix that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Galah
  • broncsgoat
  • lynx000
  • Thelmus
  • Sproj
  • GCBRONCO
  • Xzei
  • Rowdy124
  • Waynesaurus
  • Justwin
  • The Don
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.