Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think his time has gone tbh. He had already been in our system. He strikes me as a player like Marmin Barba who thrived in ISC for the Jets but didn't really have what it takes to play NRL. I can think of heaps of players like that who are good ISC player but not NRL players, Cullen, Page, Reuben, Anderson, Cleveland etc.
Yeah, but I really think Cullen could have made it as a half in the NRL. When Ben Hunt left we should have replaced him with Cullen. It would have saved a lot of pain. Page would have looked at home in the NRL if given a regular spot. Reuben I will always want to see in the NRL.

Those players you just named I really think would have been better options for the Broncos than we have taken. Reuben over Copley any day.. We're not gonna win by playing Copley, so what's to lose? Haha

Have you ever wondered what became of Aaron Whitchurch?

No? Well there's your answer.
Aww poor lad.. I feel sorry that he played the way he did when he got a chance.. But he was very bad.. He played on the wing for us though when I thought he was more of a backrower.

@Wolfie will have a better answer than me, but I think a ball player needs to have it naturally rather than being able to learn it.

I think you can teach ball playing to an extent, but it would be all about teaching structures and game situations so when it happens in front of them they recognise what to do... finishing a 3v2, putting a grubber through, dropping a short ball to the 2nd rower, etc. but I don't think you can teach a guy to instantly pick out the right play when they have 3/4 options outside them and the defensive line rushing up on them. You only have a split second to read the defence, pick the play and then be able to execute it (needing a bullet pass for cut out balls, etc.).

You look at the great ball players like Lockyer, Johns, etc. and they can look at the line and pick the play whether it's pass long or short, run or kick. Cody Walker is just everywhere and finds the right play and has been throwing 30m cut out balls straight across the face of his players this year. Part time fullbacks who are just naturally skilled footy players like Latrell, Inglis and Hodgo just pick the right play. Even a young guy like Walsh is clearly skilled with his ball playing, albeit erratic at times... but he's shown more in a handful of games than Isaako has across seasons.

But then you think of a guy like Cronk... I don't think anyone would consider Cronk a natural ball player; however he is able to recognize weaknesses or lapses in the defensive line and communicates and executes simpler plays to take advantage. I would say Slater falls into that as well with his ball playing as I would never consider him to be a natural ball player.

So in that respect I think you can teach some ball playing, but I think it will be limited as you will lose that natural vision to instantly recognise what the correct play and the ability to then be able to execute it.

I'd say Cronk looked at the defensive line and went into a play with an idea in his head for his plan A, but also knowing his plan B and C based on what the defensive line does... but Cronk was the best example of a manufactured ball player there is and I'd say there were question marks at times about whether he had another gear when the Plan A game plan wasn't working.

Then there are other guys who only have a Plan A or B on any given play... or sometimes they just go through with Plan A even if it's not on. Think Val, A Johnston, etc. when they're coming off the sweep. If they don't have the 3vs2 on a platter they end up running sideways, stopping and propping back infield or just throwing a poor cutout pass to a covered winger or the first row of the grandstand ... even Billy used to throw it into the first row of the grandstand until the storm structures were finally embedded into his brain.

Your answer is better than mine!

All this talk of Herbie as a young soccer player... I was trying to think if any other soccer players had ever played for us.

Obviously most would remember Denan Kemp.

Does anyone remember that we used to have a Steve Irwin playing for us on the wing? Back in early 2000's around the time Stuart Kelly was playing here. Irwin grew up as a soccer player too.

This was the same Irwin whose biggest claim to fame seems to have been the time he got in Todd Carney's car after Carney had lost his licence... Carney got pulled over by the cops, stopped the car and bailed on foot leaving Irwin alone in the passenger seat when the police approached the vehicle. Irwin reported to the cops that Carney was driving illegally.

The next day the Raiders sacked Irwin but kept Carney.

Let's hope Herbie can surpass such a startlingly high bar set by Broncos ex-soccer players.

Your 17 would be:

1. Kennedy
2. Isaako
3. Isaako
4. Kennedy
5. Isaako
6. Isaako
7. Croft
8. Kennedy
9. Croft
10. Kennedy
11. Isaako
12. Kennedy
13. Croft

14. Croft
15. Kennedy
16. Kennedy
17. Isaako

Coach: Flanagan
Probably would win more games! Mind you, I'd make ONE change, Hass would push out Kennedy for the 8 position😁

All this talk of Herbie as a young soccer player... I was trying to think if any other soccer players had ever played for us.

Obviously most would remember Denan Kemp.

Does anyone remember that we used to have a Steve Irwin playing for us on the wing? Back in early 2000's around the time Stuart Kelly was playing here. Irwin grew up as a soccer player too.

This was the same Irwin whose biggest claim to fame seems to have been the time he got in Todd Carney's car after Carney had lost his licence... Carney got pulled over by the cops, stopped the car and bailed on foot leaving Irwin alone in the passenger seat when the police approached the vehicle. Irwin reported to the cops that Carney was driving illegally.

The next day the Raiders sacked Irwin but kept Carney.

Let's hope Herbie can surpass such a startlingly high bar set by Broncos ex-soccer players.
I actually thought Kemp could have gone on to be really good but then got destroyed by one of the giant Warriors wingers toward the end of his first Broncos stint, went to the Warriors seemingly to avoid being tackled by them (who wouldn’t) and then just fell away. Came back, but by then it was too late.

Shame really.

I actually thought Kemp could have gone on to be really good but then got destroyed by one of the giant Warriors wingers toward the end of his first Broncos stint, went to the Warriors seemingly to avoid being tackled by them (who wouldn’t) and then just fell away. Came back, but by then it was too late.

Shame really.
At least he'll always have the 4 try, on the buzzer winner against Parra.

Shame really.

He's made a great fist of a post-playing career and doing really well with BIAB, so I think in the grand scheme of things he's come out ahead of a lot of other former NRL players!

He's made a great fist of a post-playing career and doing really well with BIAB, so I think in the grand scheme of things he's come out ahead of a lot of other former NRL players!
He's a top bloke too. I work in the same complex where BIAB is and run into him all the time and he is super friendly and down to earth. BIAB is a top little spot btw.

Well here's a weird one, nrl.com reporting Copley is going to be released to the Roosters immediately.

Reactions: Gaz
Well here's a weird one, nrl.com reporting Copley is going to be released to the Roosters immediately.
yeah they were after some cut price backs. may as well go there because he's not getting a run here. might even play finals. good for you dale.

Roosters are grasping at straws ... they've got a few injuries in the outside backs.

sounds like Copley is a we'll take what we can get scenario ... they want Coates, but we've told them to **** off as it's of no benefit to us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Fitzy
  • cento
  • Jedhead
  • Aldo
  • Battler
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Johnny92
  • BroncosAlways
  • bb_gun
  • barker
  • Foordy
  • scobie
  • The True King
  • levikaden
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.