Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
I reckon given everything going on at Cronulla, some of their players are gettable. SJ in particular was highly critical of the decision to go for Fitzgibbon over Morris and the way it has all gone down. I'd be going for him and trying to strike while the iron is hot.

I wonder if Fitzgibbon will go the way of Seibold. He is going into that club already being perceived as a traitor / backstabber.
I like the look of Will Kennedy

Whilst I do agree that we have the talent and we have a lack of structure and knowledge with the new rules and the 6 again era... however the talent we have even with a non ball playing lock should be performing far better... the execution is just plain and simple shithouse and that’s our problem
I've said it before and i'll say it again, we have lots of athletes but very few (i would ague none) football players.

so would be interesting to see if hook has any other real plans other then *i will get every player i have coached in the past*.
If that plan works then what does it matter.

Their pack is competitive now.
Add McGuire and possibly DeBelin and that pack is top shelf especially if he gets Merrin close to his best as well.
I wish we had someone at the club who could be as decisive with how to take us forward.
I think they are a top 6 side given the draw .
The last 6 weeks are brutal but they could be in a position to sneak a top 4 spot if they stat injury free .

In reality:
Broncos don't consider NZ rookie halfback good enough for the $300k contract he is demanding. They have instead opted to promote a member of their elite pathways program (likely Cobbo) to the now vacated development contract following departure of Walsh.

Without having seen this kid play, it seems that the consensus is that he WOULD be worth a gamble considering the pretty modest contract he would demand.

We are crying out for quality playmakers, with every club raiding ours and we are handed the opportunity to sign a promising young half to potentially nullify the spine player we were all so upset about losing... and we decide to just say 'no thanks'? Don't we even have a spot in the Top 30 sitting there open waiting for this type of opportunity? Seems like an absolute gift that we were just too stupid to grab with both hands.

Maybe the Broncos really didn't rate him and believe him unworthy of a Top 30 spot (which would fly in the face of what it seems many other clubs believe), but if that was the call then I can understand... BUT THEN... with the deal having fallen over, to then go ahead and send Walsh early anyway? Just to be good guys???

I understand these swaps are complicated and there's a lot of moving factors so there may be reasons why the Turner trade didn't / couldn't work out... but to then go ahead and send away our leverage anyway? It's unspeakably poor management.

No wonder clubs go hell-for-leather trying to sign our players... not only is there every likelihood they can poach the player, but chances are they'll probably get the player a year early too, without having to give anything in return. This is the message we're sending to the league right now.

Pathetic.

Add McGuire and possibly DeBelin and that pack is top shelf especially if he gets Merrin close to his best as well.
I wish we had someone at the club who could be as decisive with how to take us forward.
The last 6 weeks are brutal but they could be in a position to sneak a top 4 spot if they stat injury free .
Says a lot about our rention and recruitment.

If teams like the Dragons and Titans can be competitive and go from bottom of the ladder to potentially top 4 in a couple of seasons using all Broncos unwanted / offcast players, while we are still fighting for the spoon - then either we are keeping and getting rid of the wrong players, or we really have no idea how to use the talented players we have.

Whilst I do agree that we have the talent and we have a lack of structure and knowledge with the new rules and the 6 again era... however the talent we have even with a non ball playing lock should be performing far better... the execution is just plain and simple shithouse and that’s our problem
The problem is that a number of our players are intellectually dumb and can't understand structures or game plans. Peter Gentle alluded to this last season when he said he had to draw pictures for some of them.

Without having seen this kid play, it seems that the consensus is that he WOULD be worth a gamble considering the pretty modest contract he would demand.

We are crying out for quality playmakers, with every club raiding ours and we are handed the opportunity to sign a promising young half to potentially nullify the spine player we were all so upset about losing... and we decide to just say 'no thanks'? Don't we even have a spot in the Top 30 sitting there open waiting for this type of opportunity? Seems like an absolute gift that we were just too stupid to grab with both hands.

Maybe the Broncos really didn't rate him and believe him unworthy of a Top 30 spot (which would fly in the face of what it seems many other clubs believe), but if that was the call then I can understand... BUT THEN... with the deal having fallen over, to then go ahead and send Walsh early anyway? Just to be good guys???

I understand these swaps are complicated and there's a lot of moving factors so there may be reasons why the Turner trade didn't / couldn't work out... but to then go ahead and send away our leverage anyway? It's unspeakably poor management.

No wonder clubs go hell-for-leather trying to sign our players... not only is there every likelihood they can poach the player, but chances are they'll probably get the player a year early too, without having to give anything in return. This is the message we're sending to the league right now.

Pathetic.
I watched him play for the Warriors against Manly on the weekend. Didn’t do anything special, also didn’t do anything wrong...

Looks like a kid who can play NRL, without being a superstar. Hence why I suspect we’re not interested in him. We aren’t interested in having solid NRL first graders in our team.

They all have to be the over-hyped ‘next big thing’...

Merrin looks like he spends all week at a buffet

Pathetic.
And what if Turner is asking for 3yr at $300k-$350k?

He's in a similar boat to Dearden in that he's young, off contract and reasonably rated (although not as highly as Dearden). If the contract he's after is the same as what Dearden is after then maybe we're choosing between one or the other, and the Broncos would prefer to invest in the guy they've had at the club since he was 15 instead of a blow in from across the ditch that maybe they haven't scouted all that much because they weren't considering him necessary for the squad.

Alternatively you could take his current 12 month contract and chuck him into the top 30... but there's every chance he's just depth and then we'd have to work on re-signing him or he could just piss off to a different club. Would mean we got rid of Walsh for potentially nothing anyway.

The indication that Walsh has gone for nothing is not necessarily accurate if they intend to fill his spot with a guy in our pathways program. Big Pete suggested Cobbo could take the spot who is a fullback that's been in our systems.

I would like to see a statement from the Broncos about how they are intending to fill the void left by Walsh, but potentially they are looking to lock Cobbo down as it's his first real contract.... upgrade to development this year and then 2yrs inside the top 30.

Anyone have the historical data to prove that this is the most active "blind hoping for the future to be better" thread this forum has ever had?

And what if Turner is asking for 3yr at $300k-$350k?

He's in a similar boat to Dearden in that he's young, off contract and reasonably rated (although not as highly as Dearden). If the contract he's after is the same as what Dearden is after then maybe we're choosing between one or the other, and the Broncos would prefer to invest in the guy they've had at the club since he was 15 instead of a blow in from across the ditch that maybe they haven't scouted all that much because they weren't considering him necessary for the squad.

Alternatively you could take his current 12 month contract and chuck him into the top 30... but there's every chance he's just depth and then we'd have to work on re-signing him or he could just piss off to a different club. Would mean we got rid of Walsh for potentially nothing anyway.

The indication that Walsh has gone for nothing is not necessarily accurate if they intend to fill his spot with a guy in our pathways program. Big Pete suggested Cobbo could take the spot who is a fullback that's been in our systems.

I would like to see a statement from the Broncos about how they are intending to fill the void left by Walsh, but potentially they are looking to lock Cobbo down as it's his first real contract.... upgrade to development this year and then 2yrs inside the top 30.
Yeah, it's funny that most people that are whinging about this haven't even seen him or new he existed prior to the swap deal.
Instead they jump on the media train (the mole of all the fucking idiots you could pick to believe) and start pointing fingers and saying we fucked up.
I think you're right and that it's a decent size contract he's looking at and would almost be inplace of Dearden, or at least make it harder to keep him.

Yeah, it's funny that most people that are whinging about this haven't even seen him or new he existed prior to the swap deal.
Instead they jump on the media train (the mole of all the fucking idiots you could pick to believe) and start pointing fingers and saying we fucked up.
I think you're right and that it's a decent size contract he's looking at and would almost be inplace of Dearden, or at least make it harder to keep him.
and perhaps our salary cap can't accommodate what he's asking for.

the thing is his plan is i'm going to go with what i know.

and hook couldnt get the best out of those players in the past it was bennett that got them all playing at there peak.

so would be interesting to see if hook has any other real plans other then *i will get every player i have coached in the past*.

i will give hook some credit though I thought what he did at panthers was good and he was unfairly sacked
I think the ex players thing is a bit overblown. No doubt Hook pushed for them but all three are bargain basement prices. Birds braining it, Macca reliably keeps things moving and well controlled and now an extra forward with proven form. It looks like everyone in that club is going to have a better season than I.

The Dragons won't win the title but they will be up to their necks in it this year unless there are injuries, I'd have them in that second rung now under the Panthers, Storm, Roosters and Rabbits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• Manifesto
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Xzei
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Fozz
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Bish
  • Broncosgirl
  • Shane Tronc
  • Mr Fourex
  • broncoscope
  • john1420
  • Strop
  • Harry Sack
  • Foordy
  • Maroon4life
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.