Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just goes to show how fucked our recruitment and retention is. I hope the first thing new ceo does is sack Peter Nolan and anyone who has had anything to do with our recruitment over the past decade or so
That list should include Kurt Richards, Simon scanlon and the Parle family. These lot have been at the heart of the problems for over 10 years. Somehow they escape the scrutiny everytime and its no coincidence the last 10 years, excluding the year Bennett got to the gf have been dog shit.
All coated in Teflon!!!!
If you go to junior footy carnivals, they walk around like they own the joint, arrogance through the roof.

That list should include Kurt Richards, Simon scanlon and the Parle family. These lot have been at the heart of the problems for over 10 years. Somehow they escape the scrutiny everytime and its no coincidence the last 10 years, excluding the year Bennett got to the gf have been dog shit.
All coated in Teflon!!!!
If you go to junior footy carnivals, they walk around like they own the joint, arrogance through the roof.
So who are these people and what influence do they have on our club's recruitment structures? Who do they report to?

So who are these people and what influence do they have on our club's recruitment structures? Who do they report to?

Parle is a former teacher who joined the Broncos after he retired from the classroom in 2016- he does the education and welfare for the Broncos- so helps guys with uni/tafe/work.

It's not his fault if Paix can't pass to the left.

Scanlan is the Elite player manager- has been with the Broncos since 08- so he manages the players once they're at the Broncos from 13 to ISC- reports to Nolan.

Richards is Queensland U18 coach and Kevvie's assistant.

Parle is a former teacher who joined the Broncos after he retired from the classroom in 2016- he does the education and welfare for the Broncos- so helps guys with uni/tafe/work.

It's not his fault if Paix can't pass to the left.

Scanlan is the Elite player manager- has been with the Broncos since 08- so he manages the players once they're at the Broncos from 13 to ISC- reports to Nolan.

Richards is Queensland U18 coach and Kevvie's assistant.
So, just to be clear he has no direct influence on player recruitment and retention as inferred by @The real talanoa ?

So, just to be clear he has no direct influence on player recruitment and retention as inferred by @The real talanoa ?
They are the scouts I believe he was saying. They find our “superstars” the Recruitment and Retention Committee (Lockyer, Nolan, Coach and CEO) decide who we choose and the financial lady (Louise maybe?) handles the financial side, can we afford ‘xx’ player at ‘xx’ money, as well as probably heading up the payroll side, ie: making sure everyone actually gets paid.

I assume Broncs also have in-house or engaged lawyers to actually handle the contractual side of things...

Not the NRL squad no, Scanlan handles the guys from 13 up to making the NRL squad. He has something to do with bringing the players to the EPD- Edwards too.

Richards works with the NRL squad but not in bringing guys to the club. He's on Kevvie's staff.

Parle like I said makes sure the guys are working/uni/Tafe.

I am not saying they don't deserve accountability but I am saying you have to get the right person for that accountability. Blaming the guy who makes sure players are getting an education for poor kicking game isn't fair.

Look at it like a chain, Edwards/Scanlan find the 13 year old- player is involved with the Broncos from 13- at school age they have about 10 per age group. Can't be signed until January 1 of the year they turn 15. Then you can exclusively work with them.

Out of school they have about three players. They are in the program and hopefully out of that comes to Nolan, Lockyer, CEO and Coach ready for the NRL squad.

Saw on another forum, a rumour perhaps that our recruitment team are in cohorts with player managers.

Could explain a lot of things, especially given after Peter O'Sullivan went to the Warriors and soon after the Warriors owner wanted to cut all ties with a certain player manager who had strings on half of our squad and a few in the NZ outfit such as Blair, Green, Nikorima.

The thing that really irks me about Simpkin is that he’s at the age in his development where if Turpin doesn’t show more then he currently is, could have been a viable replacement. Let’s be real turps isn’t bad but weren’t winning a Comp with him, I know he’s only 24 but he doesn’t seem to have the engine. So we lost a kid who didn’t get a crazy deal from another club, that’s another spine player yet we fork out a shit load of cash for someone like flegler when we already have decent young props.

It’s this kind of foresight that’s really letting the club down.

This is just from the outside looking in, would really like to be proven wrong.

Not the NRL squad no, Scanlan handles the guys from 13 up to making the NRL squad. He has something to do with bringing the players to the EPD- Edwards too.

Richards works with the NRL squad but not in bringing guys to the club. He's on Kevvie's staff.

I am not saying they don't deserve accountability but I am saying you have to get the right person for that accountability. Blaming the guy who makes sure players are getting an education for poor kicking game isn't fair.

Look at it like a chain, Edwards Scanlan find the 13 year old- player is involved with the Broncos from 13- at school age they have about 10 per age group. Can't be signed until January 1 of the year they sign 15. Then you can exclusively work with them.

Out of school they have about three players. They are in the program and hopefully out of that comes to Nolan, Lockyer, CEO and Coach ready for the NRL squad.
Thanks for the run down matey. Something in this structure badly needs rectifying though as it is evidently not serving the purpose it was set up to achieve. Unless of course that purpose was mediocrity.

Look at it like a chain, Edwards Scanlan find the 13 year old- player is involved with the Broncos from 13- at school age they have about 10 per age group. Can't be signed until January 1 of the year they sign 15. Then you can exclusively work with them.

Well, whatever they’re doing, it’s not bloody working so the system needs a complete overhaul.

All 3 form part of the recruitment and retention process.
Richards is supposedly the skills coach (not sure what skills though when you look at the last few years) and currently assistant to kevvie. He was also seibolds assistant too -that should have been enough and he has been part of the hierarchy for a long time now.
Scanlans record speaks for itself and parle is a bobblehead.

Saw on another forum, a rumour perhaps that our recruitment team are in cohorts with player managers.

Could explain a lot of things, especially given after Peter O'Sullivan went to the Warriors and soon after the Warriors owner wanted to cut all ties with a certain player manager who had strings on half of our squad and a few in the NZ outfit such as Blair, Green, Nikorima.

if you believe that i have a bridge to sell you

if you believe that i have a bridge to sell you
Like I said 'rumour'.... this is the rumour thread, so please read slowly if you have to before jumping over that bridge

Watching the Dragons carve up with these ex-Broncos in their side is going to be a very very hard watch for me, given nearly all of them were players we developed

The way they beat Parramatta, they do that every week they will be hard to beat every week
They won't do it every week though, teams will either figure them out or they will have off weeks like most other sides.

Those ex Broncos that used to get us into the 6-8th positions and then fail in week 1 or 2 of the finals will do the same for the Dragons.

The thing that really irks me about Simpkin is that he’s at the age in his development where if Turpin doesn’t show more then he currently is, could have been a viable replacement. Let’s be real turps isn’t bad but weren’t winning a Comp with him, I know he’s only 24 but he doesn’t seem to have the engine. So we lost a kid who didn’t get a crazy deal from another club, that’s another spine player yet we fork out a shit load of cash for someone like flegler when we already have decent young props.

It’s this kind of foresight that’s really letting the club down.

This is just from the outside looking in, would really like to be proven wrong.
Turps isn’t bad but if every other piece of the puzzle is good enough especially in the spine we could go close to winning the comp with him at hooker... he is at that just good enough to the not quite good enough section

@Smokin' Joe

I know that you are seemingly choosing to remain vague but I can only assume at this point that your recent catchphrase of “things are going to get worse before they get better” isn’t about specific player signings.

I assume this because we have re-signed Riki, and look to be re-signing Staggs. Of course, you could mean we are losing Coates and/or Dearden but at this point I don’t think anyone really cares that much anymore because we are struggling with them in the squad and te-signing them won’t necessarily help that - plus Walsh already broke our hearts. So I don’t think losing them necessarily means are worse. You definitely don’t mean results because it can’t get worse than a spoon.

So if you believe that things are going to get worse from here, one can only assume you mean there is a looming major controversy.

@Smokin' Joe

I know that you are seemingly choosing to remain vague but I can only assume at this point that your recent catchphrase of “things are going to get worse before they get better” isn’t about specific player signings.

I assume this because we have re-signed Riki, and look to be re-signing Staggs. Of course, you could mean we are losing Coates and/or Dearden but at this point I don’t think anyone really cares that much anymore because we are struggling with them in the squad and te-signing them won’t necessarily help that - plus Walsh already broke our hearts. So I don’t think losing them necessarily means are worse. You definitely don’t mean results because it can’t get worse than a spoon.

So if you believe that things are going to get worse from here, one can only assume you mean there is a looming major controversy.
Maybe it's just a case of, we're going to be shit for a while yet before things get better, because things take time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• ivanhungryjak
  • Johnny92
  • Lurker
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Allo
  • broncos4life
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • RolledOates
  • Fatboy
  • Bucking Beads
  • HarryAllan7
  • Wolfie
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Santa
  • jd87
  • Dash
  • Xzei
  • phoenix
  • barker
... and 9 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.