Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Staggs is moving to 6 by all accounts. Herbie has done well in attack and is all effort but I still think dont he isn't a center. His attack is better than Tom, but the rest of his game there isn't. At the moment you would say we would have a player like Tom in at right center in our current center. He would help shore up our right side defence. At the price I think we may get him for he is a good squad option
Yeah agree on Herbie, think he is a great option for wing . But I can see Coates moving into the centers and still undecided on Staggs, think him and Coates could be a great center pair . Cobbo will be another option, but wouldn't be against Opacic to replace Kenner not sold on arthars either.

Kurt Capewell on being cap squeezed out of Penrith:

“I have plenty of options and at the moment I am keeping it all open. Why would I want to leave a team like Penrith? They are flying and there is such a good culture at the club and I am loving every day at training. Ultimately, the goal is to continue playing for a team like that. I will see how it goes. I’m not really too worried about next year yet, it’s hard to worry about next year when you are in week-to-week mode throughout the season because you are so consumed about the next game. The other stuff will take care of itself.”

“Being a Queenslander … that (money and location) won‘t affect my decision at the end of the day. I want to go to a club that’s got the same culture as me and believes in the same sort of stuff, which is hard work and having that team culture. When you are making a decision like this, it’s not about money so much or where you have to live. That comes into it a bit, but as long as the club aligns with my values, that’s what I will look for.”

McHunt
There's a lot of quality players we might look at it, but by and large if they aren't in the spine I probably pass.
A guy like Capewell may be the exception though, for the highlighted. If he comes at the right price, and KW is smart enough, we should get a guy like that in and sit him down, and the first thing we think is "What can we learn from you?"

No probably not but I’d pick him over Niu at the moment if Staggs does end up in the halves. I’d pick him at left centre and shift Herbie to the wing if Oates moves on.

Depending on his asking price I would sign him over Kennar/Copley/Arthurs.
Forgot about Niu, I think we should have him as a fullback option anyways. Think he is much better at 1 than isaako just a little raw atm

Yeah agree on Herbie, think he is a great option for wing . But I can see Coates moving into the centers and still undecided on Staggs, think him and Coates could be a great center pair . Cobbo will be another option, but wouldn't be against Opacic to replace Kenner not sold on arthars either.
I'd be siging him as a squad player but I think he could have a lot of benefit for the next 2 years in the first 17. Depending on his contract value of course. I think $250k a year tops on a 2 year deal would be good value.

Exactly. We need good value signings. Tom isn't going to be a game breaker, never has been and never will be. He has his flaws, but he's generally solid and reliable. At the moment, that's what we need and it would allow us to develop a better player for the future knowing we have somebody we can rely on in there right now.
He is exactly the kind of player this club needs, and to be fair is the reason we signed Copley, but unfortunately he is an injury magnet

Brent Read says several player managers have told him the Broncos are trying to release up to eight players to free up cap space. Sounds like that includes some players who will be under contract in 2022.

Release or just not re-sign, but release sounds more dramatic.
"the club has asked player managers to be patient as they prepare to start tapping players on the shoulder in a bid to reshape their salary cap and free some cash to make a splash on the open market. It has been suggested as many as eight players could be told they are surplus to requirements or free to find another club if they so choose."

Player managers are like real estate agents, though. They always have "buyers looking for houses in your area."

originally it was round 6. So I'm guessing he should be available anytime now.
How long is Copley out for exactly?
I'd read he was back a couple of weeks ago (sooner than expected) and took him out of the casualty list. He's not listed for the Devils this weekend so I don't know what's going on. If anyone has new info that says he's still out please edit the opening post of the casualty thread.

"the club has asked player managers to be patient as they prepare to start tapping players on the shoulder in a bid to reshape their salary cap and free some cash to make a splash on the open market. It has been suggested as many as eight players could be told they are surplus to requirements or free to find another club if they so choose."

Not hard when we have about 15 off contract or with player options but that’s not as dramatic.

Milford
Glenn
Copley
Mead
Teo
Kennar
Palasia
Asiata

Not saying that there aren’t a few on contract players that he is moving on but 8 isn’t exactly that spicy of gossip considering the amount off contract.

Not hard when we have about 15 off contract or with player options but that’s not as dramatic.

Milford
Glenn
Copley
Mead
Teo
Kennar
Palasia
Asiata

Not saying that there aren’t a few on contract players that he is moving on but 8 isn’t exactly that spicy of gossip considering the amount off contract.
Plus Coates, Dearden and Staggs. I think Tesi Niu is off contract too though he's said he wants to be a "Bronco for life."

I think Tesi Niu is off contract too. Unless he's renewed recently. I can't remember or find anything.
Yeah he is. I was just pulling any random 8 names out of the list. I’m not sure about how I feel about Niu. There’s some real raw skill there and potentially a good player down the line but we can’t just keep re-signing the young guys and expect much change. Hopefully he’s willing to re-sign on a short cheap contract.

Forgot about Niu, I think we should have him as a fullback option anyways. Think he is much better at 1 than isaako just a little raw atm
I thought Isaako had his best game at 1 against Penrith.

And sure, he could absolutely do a few things better than he did the other night, but all in all, I was pretty impressed with his performance.

If he could stay on that trajectory, he could prove a lot of us wrong, including me.

Opacic is a no brainer. He’s experienced, he’d be pretty cheap, he loves the club and more importantly, he is good defensively at excellent at putting in extra efforts. With Staggs moving to 6 and maybe Herbie to 1, we need a centre or two and Opacic is exactly what is needed. We don’t need and can’t afford superstars in every position and outside the 17, we aren’t the Roosters.

This looks good for 22:

1. Herbie/Hammer/Niu/Cobbo/Isaako
2. Coates
3. Opacic
4. Herbie/Niu/Hammer/Cobbo/Isaako
5. Oates
6. Staggs
7. Reynolds/Croft/DCE
8. Lui
9. Turpin
10. Lodge
11. Capewell
12. Riki
13. Haas

14. Paix/Hetherington
15. Carrigan
16. Bullemor
17. Piakura/Flegler

18. Flegler/Piakura

This side is starting to take shape. It isn’t a finished product as there are still issues in the spine but it is looking a lot better.

Yeah he is. I was just pulling any random 8 names out of the list. I’m not sure about how I feel about Niu. There’s some real raw skill there and potentially a good player down the line but we can’t just keep re-signing the young guys and expect much change. Hopefully he’s willing to re-sign on a short cheap contract.
Tesi is exactly where he needs to be right now.

6. Staggs

This side is starting to take shape. It isn’t a finished product as there are still issues in the spine but it is looking a lot better.
Does anyone believe this is actually going to happen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Bucking Beads
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Mr Fourex
  • Waynesaurus
  • I bleed Maroon
  • broncsgoat
  • Fitzy
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Xzei
  • broncos4life
  • bert_lifts
  • Footy Fanatic
  • GCBRONCO
  • Wolfie
  • Bish
  • Morkel
  • FACTHUNT
  • Galah
... and 7 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.