Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
We also already have other options currently at the club. I’d like to land Reynolds and a centre + back rower plus some depth this off season. I think that puts us in good stead for next year. I still don’t understand why we are so keen to offload Lodge unless you get a Papalii or a top shelf 9 as a result.
In the space of 5 - 6 months we have gone from Lodge nearly named captain, but not because of optics.
Now we want him gone when he is leading our pack - I really think Haas even plays better when Lodge plays well, TPJ loves having another fire brand in the team.

Lots of people saying we now need to target a FB since we have landed AR.
Personally I'd like to see the effect AR has on Isaako. He had a lot of possitives, his quick, had a wicked step and a good pass.
I think AR could teach him to be a better support player, even ask him to change how he plays to suit AR more.
AR is a half back not a magician.

I'd like to persist with Isaako, I think a lot of his rocks v diamonds is mental rather than anything structural. A lot of these younger guys coming through are of a different generation...while you wouldn't think things change too much between generations, the kids starting to come through are definitely 'different' to those who came before them. In my opinion you need to get the best out of them in different ways to the older players.

Worth remembering he was the NRL rookie of the year...then a bit of 2nd year syndrome, then the clusterfuck of his dad getting crook and passing, covid, etc. I legitimately think he'll come good with the right mentoring/training, and I suspect the club is on the right path with that now too.

I'd like to persist with Isaako, I think a lot of his rocks v diamonds is mental rather than anything structural. A lot of these younger guys coming through are of a different generation...while you wouldn't think things change too much between generations, the kids starting to come through are definitely 'different' to those who came before them. In my opinion you need to get the best out of them in different ways to the older players.

Worth remembering he was the NRL rookie of the year...then a bit of 2nd year syndrome, then the clusterfuck of his dad getting crook and passing, covid, etc. I legitimately think he'll come good with the right mentoring/training, and I suspect the club is on the right path with that now too.
I agree somewhat. I think there's a good footy player in there. I really liked seeing him back up through the middle last weekend, even though he dropped the pill, that support play is what should be expected of a decent fullback.

I would be willing to have a interim fullback in 2022 if we could get papenhuyzen for 2023.

TBH, as much as Paps is an elite fullback (top 3) he would cost an absolute packet ... and IMO, we'd be best spending that cash elsewhere ... namely an elite hooker.

we could get a quality fullback that will do a job for us (like Hynes or Dufty), they would come at half the price of Paps and we could spend the rest of that cash on a hooker, or improving other positions

TBH, as much as Paps is an elite fullback (top 3) he would cost an absolute packet ... and IMO, we'd be best spending that cash elsewhere ... namely an elite hooker.

we could get a quality fullback that will do a job for us (like Hynes or Dufty), they would come at half the price of Paps and we could spend the rest of that cash on a hooker, or improving other positions
Not a fan of turpin? Plays well above his pay packet.

I agree but I don't support the rocks and diamonds analogy. I think he's either very good or average but I haven't seen a bad game from him for a long time. Making fullbacks look bad happens in every club. The other night we saw Souths get trounced and I didn't hear about their fullback. In fact, I haven't seen such a relentless campaign against a player for quite some time.

I know Isaako is not the complete fullback but **** me dead, I've never heard of a golfer becoming world class after playing in his rookie season either. The guys learning on the job in a wooden spoon team and being crucified for everything he does and receiving cursory acknowledgement for moments of brilliance.

Posters on here want him sacked barely a third of the way through his first season in the fullback role and I think that's what wankers do. He's young, athletic and dedicated and yes, raw but he's not an issue we need to address. All I can see is a young star heading for great things and while healthy criticism is okay, childish vitriol is not. We don't become highly experienced drivers 3 months after we get our licence.

I agree but I don't support the rocks and diamonds analogy. I think he's either very good or average but I haven't seen a bad game from him for a long time. Making fullbacks look bad happens in every club. The other night we saw Souths get trounced and I didn't hear about their fullback. In fact, I haven't seen such a relentless campaign against a player for quite some time.

I know Isaako is not the complete fullback but **** me dead, I've never heard of a golfer becoming world class after playing in his rookie season either. The guys learning on the job in a wooden spoon team and being crucified for everything he does and receiving cursory acknowledgement for moments of brilliance.

Posters on here want him sacked barely a third of the way through his first season in the fullback role and I think that's what wankers do. He's young, athletic and dedicated and yes, raw but he's not an issue we need to address. All I can see is a young star heading for great things and while healthy criticism is okay, childish vitriol is not. We don't become highly experienced drivers 3 months after we get our licence.
First time I’ve ever heard a bloke who has played 66 games of NRL and is in his 5th season of A grade called a “rookie” but okay. Let’s just come up with our own definitions… 😂

Not the complete fullback indeed. Absolute understatement of the year. Even the club was aiming to replace him with Walsh in the near future…

I haven't seen such a relentless campaign against a player for quite some time.
Oates...
Boyd...
Milford...
Flegler...
Croft...

I think Isaako has the potential cut it as a decent fullback - he just makes some crucial errors at times where it's costing us. That dropped ball in the cows match being a prime example - he wasn't alone I fully agree a lot of other errors lead to that result - but that was a massive momentum shift against us. You're right though, he rarely just has an all round terrible game, just frequently has a few very costly errors at key moments - not unlike some other of our dick fingered or lazy in defence teammates. It's one thing to be great on attack and less great in defence, but you need your fullback to at least be solid back there and take catches, clean up loose ball etc.

As much as people lord Ponga - when he has a dirty game in defence, it costs them matches and he's often good for a dropped ball or a poor defensive read too. His cieling in attack and individual brilliance to cut through lines is probably more consistent and threatening against good times than Isaako is - good teams tend to shut Isaako down most of the time. Some more consistency in eliminating errors from his game and most of the noise around him would dry up quickly - even without the flashy footwork etc in every game.

On that point, ball control / errors - has there been a worse team in recent years than the broncos in unforced errors? Kicking dead off the kick off? Kicking it dead in goal on the 2nd/3rd tackle? I'd say we'd be close to the top in each of those categories and have been for several seasons.

First time I’ve ever heard a bloke who has played 66 games of NRL and is in his 5th season of A grade called a “rookie” but okay. Let’s just come up with our own definitions… 😂

Not the complete fullback indeed. Absolute understatement of the year. Even the club was aiming to replace him with Walsh in the near future…
He's having his first season as a dedicated fullback but you knew what I meant. Of course you'd know what the club was intending with your seat at the table at Red Hill. You're such a negative niggling prick that I think it's time I stopped seeing your posts. You have the perfect job.

He's having his first season as a dedicated fullback but you knew what I meant. Of course you'd know what the club was intending with your seat at the table at Red Hill. You're such a negative niggling prick that I think it's time I stopped seeing your posts. You have the perfect job.
No clearly you are right. The Broncos long term future for their highly touted up and coming fullback., was clearly to wait the next 8-9 years Isaako realistically has in his career, before selecting Walsh at fullback…

Your posts are hilarious. I hope I still get to see them…

I hope we are looking to resign gamble regardless of what happens in the halves. Given his size, and pretty decent defence, i think he could be that really good ball playing 13 that we were hoping asiata would be (or a 14 to cover halve, hooker, backs and back row injuries).

He has shown himself to be a very good first receiver, taking it to the line and being able to put forwards into gaps (i.e carrigan although the pass was forward) or isolate defenders for them (kennedy's try), or throwing it out the back to a running half on a sweeping play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Organix
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.