Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was on something like 700k.

This is from the official Titans press release
"Prop Shannon Boyd has been granted a release from his contract with the Gold Coast Titans and will retire to the family farm in Cowra."

Seems legit.

Wasn't the thing his family farm was worth 100 times his football contract and if he kept getting injured and couldn't help on the farm it was stuffed?

Wasn't the thing his family farm was worth 100 times his football contract and if he kept getting injured and couldn't help on the farm it was stuffed?
I don't actually know the story other than what was publicly announced but anyone giving up 700k for 1 (might have been 2) year rings serious alarm bells.

I don't actually know the story other than what was publicly announced but anyone giving up 700k for 1 (might have been 2) year rings serious alarm bells.

Understandable but aren't farms worth 100's of millions?

Yeah we all know farms are super earners these days...

God damn farmers in their fancy suits and luxury cars.

Rienhardt sold over $300 million worth of her cattle stations and that was only 20% of what she owns- she seems to be doing alright.

Demand for Australian farmland is running hot thanks to low interest rates, strong agricultural commodity prices and a sharp turnaround in seasonal conditions.
Records for rural property have tumbled across most states and territories this year amid an investor rush to capitalise on the industry’s strong footing, which experts say has defied the Covid-19 pandemic.
Major transactions this year have already included the $500m sale of NSW cotton giant Auscott Limited to Canada’s PSP Investments and the $357.35m sale of the Vitalharvest business — which owns citrus and berry farms leased to horticulture giant Costa Group – to Macquarie Infrastructure and Real Assets following a drawn-out bidding war with Roc Partners.

Additionally, Stanbroke Pastoral Company last month sold its 438,000ha Miranda Downs Station in Queensland’s Gulf Country to the Hughes family of Hughes Pastoral Company for $180m.

My point is I am pretty sure at the time he said the farm makes him/family a lot more than 600k and a lot of farms do- so he might have made the smart financial decision.

Yeah we all know farms are super earners these days...

God damn farmers in their fancy suits and luxury cars.
Yeh, sorry, but this suggests you don’t know much about farming.

Just because they don’t drive Lambo’s and wear fancy clothes, doesn’t mean a lot. Most of the farmers I know have relatively new $150k Sahara’s as their town car to use at their town house, which is normally bigger than it needs to be and in a nice location. A lot also send their kids (which they normally have a few of) to private boarding schools, which costs a penny. And that doesn’t take into account what their enormous properties and all the equipment / stock they have is worth.

You are right though, some are certainly doing it tough, but the ones who’ve had a bit of luck with drought / other natural disasters are worth heaps. They just don’t flash it around like the big-dicks in the cities.

Just because they don’t drive Lambo’s and wear fancy clothes, doesn’t mean a lot. Most of the farmers I know have relatively new $150k Sahara’s as their town car to use at their town house, which is normally bigger than it needs to be and in a nice location. A lot also send their kids (which they normally have a few of) to private boarding schools, which costs a penny. And that doesn’t take into account what their enormous properties and all the equipment / stock they have is worth.

You are right though, some are certainly doing it tough, but the ones who’ve had a bit of luck with drought / other natural disasters are worth heaps. They just don’t flash it around like the big-dicks in the cities.
I know a lot of orchard farmers. Dad is a cane farmer. Some farms are deal in the 10s of millions but most don't. They are usually family owned and run. Intergenerational thing. They usually run big overdrafts. A lot depends on what your farmer as to the land you will need. Dairy farming requirements are different to grain needs. Water access is huge.

We are not talking beach front properties converted into a dairy farm. Use real estate search engine to look for yourself. It's not an easy life but they wouldn't swap it. My mate is running cattle. Put up a shed on a property outside of Bendigo -$600k. Now it's setting it up. Don't need to be fancy..but you do need cash behind you for the unexpected.

I know a lot of orchard farmers. Dad is a cane farmer. Some farms are deal in the 10s of millions but most don't. They are usually family owned and run. Intergenerational thing. They usually run big overdrafts. A lot depends on what your farmer as to the land you will need. Dairy farming requirements are different to grain needs. Water access is huge.

We are not talking beach front properties converted into a dairy farm. Use real estate search engine to look for yourself. It's not an easy life but they wouldn't swap it. My mate is running cattle. Put up a shed on a property outside of Bendigo -$600k. Now it's setting it up. Don't need to be fancy..but you do need cash behind you for the unexpected.
Yeh, my father in law comes from a family of dairy farmers (Vic) and I’m from CQ which is cattle farming heartland. You’re right, the difference between cattle and dairy is vast (I can’t talk about other farming types, but assume likewise), particularly now that the price of milk is being fucked sideways by the big supermarkets.

What I can say though is that by and large, the many, many cattle farmers I know (which you’re also right in saying is normally generational), have more money than they can count.

They send their kids off to private boarding school and by the time they get their license, mum and dad buy a new $60k SR5 Hilux ‘for the business’ so the kid can drive home on weekends with their red P plates in the windows.

I remember thinking I was the flashest bloke getting around when my parents bought me a $500 Mongoose MTB (which was a great present BTW) for my birthday to ride to and from school 🤣

The parents of Tom Opacic partner sold their cattle station for somewhere in the region of about 80 or 90 million including assets. Plenty of cash in farming for some. For others, i think its a struggle.

I imagine that was the Titans argument too.

Just think of future mate and all the thousands we save…I mean you save by being able to work. Don’t worry, we’ll also give you a $10 000 security system for your trouble.

I know some cattle station owners who would cry poor saying that they were so broke yet the next minute they take off to Canada for a "Ski" holiday for 6 weeks for themselves and 4 kids. Yeah really broke.

I know some cattle station owners who would cry poor saying that they were so broke yet the next minute they take off to Canada for a "Ski" holiday for 6 weeks for themselves and 4 kids. Yeah really broke.
They also had the obligatory Landcruisers, Hilux for the kids etc. That was also about 5-6 years ago when the drought was hitting hard. No doubt some farmers get the wrong end of the stick though.

Yeh, my father in law comes from a family of dairy farmers (Vic) and I’m from CQ which is cattle farming heartland. You’re right, the difference between cattle and dairy is vast (I can’t talk about other farming types, but assume likewise), particularly now that the price of milk is being fucked sideways by the big supermarkets.

What I can say though is that by and large, the many, many cattle farmers I know (which you’re also right in saying is normally generational), have more money than they can count.

They send their kids off to private boarding school and by the time they get their license, mum and dad buy a new $60k SR5 Hilux ‘for the business’ so the kid can drive home on weekends with their red P plates in the windows.

I remember thinking I was the flashest bloke getting around when my parents bought me a $500 Mongoose MTB (which was a great present BTW) for my birthday to ride to and from school 🤣
On the outside you think they have money but the major reality is this
- the kids go to private boarding school because often there is no school within 100kms of the farm for them to attend and thus boarding school is the only option. (farmers get concessions for sending their kids to private boarding schools to help out on the tuition)
- the 60k SR5 Hilux is purchased for a reason. They are solid reliable vehicles and if your farm is remote, you need a good vehicle because if you break down in the every day bomb, 9 times out of 10 there is no reception and you might be lucky to see a car every 6 hours on the rural roads. The 2k gumtree special doesn't cut it in rural Australia. You have to spend money on a good Toyota to ensure you survive out there not just as a matter of convenience
- Farmers are always asset rich, cashflow poor. (even the old generational ones) Sure they might have 25 mill in land and assets, but you don't see the 10 mill overdraft to maintain the asset. The fact that droughts can complete ruin a farm within 3 years (you cant make it rain) is a factor a lot of people never consider and say you got rain now so be quiet when in reality one good season doesn't necessary make up for 5 bad seasons previously. Farming's a lot tougher than what a lot of people think. The fact that the land continually rises is sometimes the only way a lot of them can hold on.

On the outside you think they have money but the major reality is this
- the kids go to private boarding school because often there is no school within 100kms of the farm for them to attend and thus boarding school is the only option. (farmers get concessions for sending their kids to private boarding schools to help out on the tuition)
- the 60k SR5 Hilux is purchased for a reason. They are solid reliable vehicles and if your farm is remote, you need a good vehicle because if you break down in the every day bomb, 9 times out of 10 there is no reception and you might be lucky to see a car every 6 hours on the rural roads. The 2k gumtree special doesn't cut it in rural Australia. You have to spend money on a good Toyota to ensure you survive out there not just as a matter of convenience
- Farmers are always asset rich, cashflow poor. (even the old generational ones) Sure they might have 25 mill in land and assets, but you don't see the 10 mill overdraft to maintain the asset. The fact that droughts can complete ruin a farm within 3 years (you cant make it rain) is a factor a lot of people never consider and say you got rain now so be quiet when in reality one good season doesn't necessary make up for 5 bad seasons previously. Farming's a lot tougher than what a lot of people think. The fact that the land continually rises is sometimes the only way a lot of them can hold on.
Agree 100% on this - I lived in a fairly small country town (approx 500 people) and once kids reached year 8 they were shipped to boarding school and they do get incentives (financial) as a result. Unsure of how much they save though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• bazza
  • Broncosgirl
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Fitzy
  • Financeguy
  • Foordy
  • Sproj
  • Shane Tronc
  • Hoof Hearted
  • pennywisealfie
  • ostin86
  • kman
  • RodF
  • Skyblues87
  • Harry Sack
  • Santa
  • Allo
  • Xzei
  • Robboi_321
  • KateBroncos1812
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.