Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
Be stuck behind Reynolds and playing reserve grade or playing first grade.

Which one do you think he will go for?

@1910 might correct me on this, but isnt Mam more of a 7 than a 6? We will more than likely be putting our time into Ezra.

upthebroncs

upthebroncs

NRL Player
Oct 16, 2016
@1910 might correct me on this, but isnt Mam more of a 7 than a 6? We will more than likely be putting our time into Ezra.
Do you know how long Mam is currently signed for? Will we need to be upgrading his contract soon?

Edit: Just checked and he’s signed until the end of 2024. That’s decent.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
Is Milford going to be a professional and give up smoking and any other vices that are negatively affecting his fitness and performance? If so, I'd consider it. But if he isn't going to do that for the majority of his million dollar contract, why would we give him the benefit-of-the-doubt now?

upthebroncs

upthebroncs

NRL Player
Oct 16, 2016
Is Milford going to be a professional and give up smoking and any other vices that are negatively affecting his fitness and performance? If so, I'd consider it. But if he isn't going to do that for the majority of his million dollar contract, why would we give him the benefit-of-the-doubt now?
Drinkwater would have been a great option to court to the club before he got the chance now to boost his asking price by playing fullback for the Cows.

I’d still be trying to sign him on a modest deal to add some short term experience at 6. Maybe a 2 year deal?

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
As mentioned above, he isn't signed yet, we could jump in if we wanted to but as also mentioned above, I don't think we want to. He would definitely be a good option if we did go with him though.

Talent wise Lodge and TPJ were also good options ... the question is the influence over the rest of the squad.

p.s. i don't know if he is a bad influence on the sqaud, a lazy trainer or just complacent until no one wanted him etc. just speculating on reasons we may not be prepared to take a punt for minimum wage

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
He's like a young Milf, he's a 6 or at a MASSIVE stretch 1.

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013

Played seven in MM last year for a few games and seven in his ISC debut then six when James, Hunt or Cooper took the 7.

Honestly doesn't matter too much at this stage, he has played good games at 7 and good games at 6.

I think he looked his best with James/Isaako at 7 and Mam at 6 running on the left and playing with width.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
I get why people dont want him, but look at our other options. Kelly is injured. Mam isnt going great in ISC, you could actually argue he is stagnating. Walters, not good enough in any department in the halves and is always getting physically dominated. That leaves Gamble, who again pretty much lacks real quality but does offer competitiveness and passion.

Milford in the scheme of things on bottom dollar alongside Arey isnt a bad option.
It would be a big about face by the R&R team if it did happen as I think Ikin came out last year and was pretty adamant with his wording around both the club and Milf needing to move on from each other.

Of course that would've been associated with Milf looking for at least a reasonable contract, but the optics and narrative would need some attention to deal with the 180 without looking foolish from a media perspective.

It would look a bit desperate if we went out and signed Milf given how many options are currently in the squad, but a bottom dollar Milf could be a great value pick up.

It sounds like Milf will be at Souths, so he would be at one of our affiliates.., not sure how that goes with Mam, does Milf play halfback for Souths in that regard??

A ball running Milf would obviously work with Arey, but he hasn't really been that for awhile. You would probably want to see him play a few games for Souths before throwing him a lifeline.

Stix

Stix

NRL Player
Mar 28, 2014
Milf has lost his speed and agility which he used to break games wide open. Without these tools he’s just not what we need. If he was a great 7 he would still be in the side no doubt and as much as I’d love to see him light up the tv screen and be that brilliant game breaker he once was I think those days are gone. Even if it’s only 150k, I’d rather we put the 150k into a fullback or hooker, or **** it give it to Payne! It’s sad to say but Milfs done.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
Milf has lost his speed and agility which he used to break games wide open. Without these tools he’s just not what we need. If he was a great 7 he would still be in the side no doubt and as much as I’d love to see him light up the tv screen and be that brilliant game breaker he once was I think those days are gone. Even if it’s only 150k, I’d rather we put the 150k into a fullback or hooker, or **** it give it to Payne! It’s sad to say but Milfs done.

I think thats one of the big things that had a detrimental effect on him as a player, we tried to turn him into a 7 after Hunt left and it just wasnt his game.

Stix

Stix

NRL Player
Mar 28, 2014
I think thats one of the big things that had a detrimental effect on him as a player, we tried to turn him into a 7 after Hunt left and it just wasnt his game.
100% He was one of the most damaging ball runners we will probably ever see. The guy was an absolute freak when he had a broken defensive line in front of him and he had the speed, agility and a wicked low centre of gravity. We needed a game manager after Locky but it wasn’t in him. It’s unfortunate but I think the prime Milford was wasted trying to turn him into something he wasn’t, and now that everyone has admitted it didn’t work he’s lost everything that made him so electric. At the end of 2016 we needed to put him beside a proper 7 and let him be him. He has to take ownership on where he is now as he didn’t do himself any favours with his attitude but the club has a lot to answer for too in the way they managed him. Blind fucking Freddy could see the guy wasn’t a 7.

lynx000

lynx000

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 28, 2008
We're clearly not winning the competition this year (as much as that may come as a shock to some?), so although bringing Milf back for the rest of the season may improve our performance in the immediate term (maybe we finish a few spots higher on the ladder at most?), it's a retrospective move that isn't going to help (and could arguably hinder) our ability to find a long term spine moving forward.

Regardless, there's too many unhealed scars (likely on both sides) for it to make sense. At the end of last seaosn after years of struggle it was a clean break and was considered the best thing for both parties... Nothing about that has changed.

I wish him all the best at the Knights, would love to see him turn it around because he's a genuine excitement machine when he's playing well.
Cover your ears and eyes @Santa you do not need to see or hear this type of negativity.

Galah

Galah

State of Origin Rep
Mar 28, 2019
100% He was one of the most damaging ball runners we will probably ever see. The guy was an absolute freak when he had a broken defensive line in front of him and he had the speed, agility and a wicked low centre of gravity. We needed a game manager after Locky but it wasn’t in him. It’s unfortunate but I think the prime Milford was wasted trying to turn him into something he wasn’t, and now that everyone has admitted it didn’t work he’s lost everything that made him so electric. At the end of 2016 we needed to put him beside a proper 7 and let him be him. He has to take ownership on where he is now as he didn’t do himself any favours with his attitude but the club has a lot to answer for too in the way they managed him. Blind fucking Freddy could see the guy wasn’t a 7.
We did get fucked by the dragons offering up that fucking monstrosity of a contract and then Melbourne come sniffing around for milf so we were backed into a corner. No organising 7 anywhere to be seen and couldn’t let him go. Melbourne probably just did it to make us pay more but anyway if we had a decent development system maybe we would have had a 7 waiting.

but we don’t, there for didn’t have a replacement. Also basically priced out of the market to buy one.

Jason Simmons

Jason Simmons

NRL Captain
Apr 18, 2013
Anthony Milford officially has all charges dropped. Surely we try get him cheap for rest of year on 1 year deal. I think he would kill it with Reynolds.
For me, absolutely not. We should be targeting a genuine number 9 or a fullback (or both preferably…) as recruitment priorities.

If we can’t find a 6 out of Gamble, Walters, Kelly (injured for now, I know) Mam and Martin, then buying yet another one who has a demonstrated history of struggling to play at NRL level, or indeed even train to a standard expected of an NRL player, is hardly going to solve our problems…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Broncosarethebest
  • theshed
  • Lozza
  • Jedhead
  • Dash
  • Broncorob
  • Bish
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Old Mate
  • MrMoore
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.