Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can only guess it sounds like that to you because you're not comprehending anything I've written. I can't write the shit sixteen more different ways.

BILLY IS THE BEST OPTION BECAUSE WE NEVER BOUGHT ANYONE BETTER. TO GET A BETTER HOOKER IN THE TEAM KEVVIE HAS TO DROP HIS SON. THIS WILL BE HARD FOR HIM, AND THAT'S FINE, IT SHOULD BE HARD.

**** me drunk this is tedious.
To get a better hooker in the team Billy has to be dropped? WTF drugs are you on??
To make it easier for you, to get a better hooker in the team we need to SIGN one. To do that, one has to be available that wants to come to Brisbane for the money we can afford under the cap, and has to be viewed as better than our current options by the recruitment guys. Unlike Bennet, KW isn't in charge of everything. Recruitment is something KW will obviously speak to, but there's other involved. I trust guys like Ikin to be watchful of nepotism.

If you honestly think Donuts and Ikin believe we can win the premiership with Walters at 9 you are seriously deluded.
They know we need an upgrade there, and I trust they will make the right signing when they are able to.

Are we after "better value" than Billy or "better" than Billy? Paix isn't good enough right now to beat Turpin out of the team, even for 25 minutes off the bench.

I'm hoping they have someone in mind, or at least a succession plan for 2023, and we haven't heard about it.
Paix is coming back from an injury and isn’t as match fit as he should be. Unless we plan on getting Cook or Hunt I don’t really see the point in your argument. There aren’t better options.

People are only praising Verellis agin because he’s gone - Roosters fans have been ragging him all year until now. I’m not at all envious of that signing.

Paix is coming back from an injury and isn’t as match fit as he should be. Unless we plan on getting Cook or Hunt I don’t really see the point in your argument. There aren’t better options.

People are only praising Verellis agin because he’s gone - Roosters fans have been ragging him all year until now. I’m not at all envious of that signing.
My point is we NEED a hooker, not that I have one to SUGGEST. And it's the ONLY position we're lacking. That the coach's son is our last weak link is curious, and potentially problematic if it continues, but not my main point.

Why is this such a beguiling concept?

CM is reporting the Broncos have included Oates in the salary cap for next season and COULD have an extension in the next week. Oates is asking for two years (end 2024), and is willing to accept a pay cut to stay at the club. You've heard this before. It's probably true.

CM is reporting the Broncos have included Oates in the salary cap for next season and COULD have an extension in the next week. Oates is asking for two years (end 2024), and is willing to accept a pay cut to stay at the club. You've heard this before. It's probably true.
If it's two years I hope one of the years is a club option.

If it's two years I hope one of the years is a club option.
The rumour has him rejecting Bennett, but who knows whether the offer was less attractive than what the Broncos might give him. I reckon he's good for another year, has earned some level of loyalty from the club for his consistency this season. After that, hopefully we'll have a new batch of wingers nipping at his heels. We've had some good experiences anointing young wingers, and some not so great. They nearly always let in tries.

I expect some outside back shuffling will go on next season, trying to fit Deine and Herbie into the same team. Selwyn could also shift. Then there's that spare bomb-shy dude who's flavour of this week, best not to mention his name.

Corey will have to raise his game to keep his place. He's managed it this year. It's all very healthy.

My point is we NEED a hooker, not that I have one to SUGGEST. And it's the ONLY position we're lacking. That the coach's son is our last weak link is curious, and potentially problematic if it continues, but not my main point.

It’s not beguiling, it’s boring and easily dismissed. Why is this beguiling to you?

Great news to be rid of the hookers who slowed us down. Nice guys but they don’t win you a premiership, unfortunately.

Looking forward to seeing Paix with more fitness.

We would be better with an elite hooker, no one will argue that. We would be better with elite players all through the team. I’m even happy with the argument that we should prioritise a better hooker into our cap distribution.

But if their aren’t any available worth getting then your point is entirely moot.

It is your responsibility to offer suggestions because no one can come up with a better option currently available than Walters and Paix. I’ve been a critic of the Walters signing pretty consistently but he’s here now and there aren’t any better options available.

It is just such an illogical position to keep harping on about.

We would be better with an elite hooker, no one will argue that. We would be better with elite players all through the team. I’m even happy with the argument that we should prioritise a better hooker into our cap distribution.

But if their aren’t any available worth getting then your point is entirely moot.

It is your responsibility to offer suggestions because no one can come up with a better option currently available than Walters and Paix. I’ve been a critic of the Walters signing pretty consistently but he’s here now and there aren’t any better options available.

Exactly. Really simple eh.

This is the rumours thread. We're on the lookout for a hooker. Every other position is covered. Pass it on.

Corey you legend.

he made a really bad decision going to the Tigpies.

he'd be easily our number one hooker by now if he stuck it out a bit longer

That's some historical revisionism at play- Tigers offered him a development contact he wasn't getting here. So he wouldn't be the 9 now because the Broncos didn't offer him anything. He was playing Colts at Wynnum when he signed with the Tigers.

I wondered why this thread was suddenly all over the place, and then realized McHunt blocked me for suggesting he stop taking about Billy if he doesn't like talking about Billy. Seems pretty clear then that he in fact just likes arguing...

@McHunt does have a valid argument if you accept the premise that recruiting and retention decision making is even to some extent being premised upon ensuring that Skip Walters has a contract with us because Kev is playing some role in that occurring.

If that is happening it is extremely problematic and it becomes even more problematic if the club is not actively seeking a better hooker because of it. There would be no clearer example of a conflict of interest/nepotism than that.

I think (respectfully) where his argument falls down is that Kev (unlike Bennett in the past) does not have the runs on the board in terms of results and premiership experience and the status to be dictating those types of recuriting decisions to the club. I have no doubt that he has input, but I cannot imagine that either Ikin or DD would go along with a recruiting/retention decision that is going to place the club in a weaker position. Their history since coming into their roles is the exact antithesis of this. I think they have just about pulled the right rein with every decision.

The other area where his argument falls down is that I think that Skip has proven that he has a valuable role to play either as a utility or as back up for the halves or a hooker. There is absolutely no reason why we could not contract a better hooker and also keep Billy to fill a utility or a back up role, particularly with Turpin going. Simply because we sign a better hooker does not automatically mean that we must move Walters on.

That is my two cents worth in any event. He is entitled to his view and the point of BHQ is to engender discussion which this is doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Old Mate
  • winslow_wong
  • broncsgoat
  • Jazza
  • Broncorob
  • MrTickyMcG
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Footy Fanatic
  • eggstar10
  • Battler
  • Fozz
  • Jedhead
  • Broncosgirl
  • Dash
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Xzei
  • Wolfie
  • Manofoneway
  • Culhwch
  • Harry Sack
... and 68 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.