Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mariner, Mozer, Quai-Ward & Willison have all been upgraded to NRL deals.

If we take out all the players who have yet to officially re-sign the Broncos are at 23 players including Arthars who is still contracted to the club for '23.

Walters and Oates will re-sign so that's 25. Haas is really touch and go, that seems to be a situation that's dependent on Brisbane being able to sign an adequate replacement. Right now I'd have him still at the club so that's 26 with 4 spots available.

Interesting. What’s your reasons for thinking Haas stays after being such a pain in the haas this season? Surely he’d have to be considered a cancer wouldn’t he?

Interesting. What’s your reasons for thinking Haas stays after being such a pain in the haas this season? Surely he’d have to be considered a cancer wouldn’t he?
He’s got $850,000 or thereabouts on the table at the broncos next year.. at this point of the season, after the quiet past few weeks he’s had and with off season shoulder surgery a likelihood, surely even he and his “management” could see that it’s unlikely in the extreme any club is coming at him with a larger offer for 2023 and beyond..

But then again, there are some seriously desperate clubs with dumb operators at their helm, so anything is possible.

Like I said, it's dependent on whether the Broncos can receive a replacement. As it currently stands, nothing has materialised so he'll remain at the Broncos.

I can't see much changing unless there's a big name release that causes a major shift in the market.

It's not the best news as he's the only guy who can steer us around if Reynolds goes down long term.
But reports it's a 2 year deal.. we need someone to take over the 7 jersey once Reynolds hangs up the boots in 2 years.. send him down to the knights to run a NRL team round and bring him back if he turns into the player we need to steer our ship.
That rarely happens. Sad to see him go but can’t blame him for looking for more game time.

Gonna miss Tyson, may not have the skill set required but more than makes up for it in Mongrel and effort. There's a few players who should take note.
Legendary coach Bob Bax always said - to win a premiership you need two things.
One - a kicker and
Two - a mongrel.
He was our mongrel and although times change and yes, he was lacking in some skills and made some blues, always had the right attitude you need to pass on to those with the desired skill set but lacking that attitude.

He will be out in (possibly) his last game for us to show Kevin and co. got it wrong by letting him go.

Afterwards he will be missed.

I suspect the club has moved Tyson on if not for that podcast interview itself but for it being indicative of his attitude towards the coaching staff and selection. But in that light, it’s puzzling to see him get picked this week. Reminiscent of Kevvie giving Coates and Milford games when they were on the way out.

I am so out of the Broncos loop, what podcast are you talking about.

Like I said, it's dependent on whether the Broncos can receive a replacement. As it currently stands, nothing has materialised so he'll remain at the Broncos.

I can't see much changing unless there's a big name release that causes a major shift in the market.
I think we should have a go at klemmer, he wants out of Newcastle & compares favourably with Haas, they’re both knobs but he would come considerably cheaper. He at least has a bit of aggression in his game.

I think we should have a go at klemmer, he wants out of Newcastle & compares favourably with Haas, they’re both knobs but he would come considerably cheaper. He at least has a bit of aggression in his game.

I like it. I reckon going to a new state as well might just reinvigorate him and that system he is in just sucks the life out of anyone there.

I hated him back in the day when he was still a NSW rep, but not a bad shout if Haas does move on. Could allow us to start Flegs and Jensen, and then bring Klemmer off the bench to keep the aggression up.

Brisbane would be drawing the short straw there. Klemmer at the right price would be a decent pick-up but I don't think he suits the culture the Broncos want to create.

He’ll miss half the season through suspension playing for us.

Klemmer just sold his house and bought a new one down here. Seems like he's planning on staying.

So we’re going full 2020 again and replacing experience with untried youth…

cool….
I remember Robinson once discussing his views on roster balance and how he tries to manage his for the long term.

I forget how he exactly grouped them but it was something like

Veterans
Seasoned
Rookies

I decided to do my own exercise with it for the Broncos 2023 Squad, adding a few more categories into the mix.

200+ Games
Adam Reynolds

100-199 Games
Corey Oates
Kurt Capewell

60-99 Games
Payne Haas
Corey Jensen
Thomas Flegler
Kotoni Staggs
Patrick Carrigan

20-59 Games
Herbie Farnworth
Jordan Riki
Jordan Pereira
Jesse Arthars
Reece Walsh
Kobe Hetherington
Billy Walters
Tesi Niu
Keenan Palasia
Cory Paix
Selwyn Cobbo
Tyson Gamble*

6-19 Games
TC Robati
Ezra Mam

0-5 Games
Xavier Willison
Deine Mariner
Brendan Piakura
Blake Mozer
Ethan Quai-Ward

Now I may have gone too far with the sub-categories, but this was the general rule of thumb.

200 Games
Your veterans who maybe past their physical peaks but have a great understanding of the game and can problem solve with the best of them.

100-199 Games
Typically an experienced player who has made a career out of the sport. Ideally these are players entering their peak years but can often be filled with veterans who had their share of disruptions whether it be code changes

60-99 Games
A player who has broken out of the 3 season average and they're important parts of the team but they may lack experience in the bigger games.

20-59 Games
Most NRL careers only last three seasons, so this is your regular category where you expect the most amount of movement. You also see tend to see a mixture of depth players and developing players.

6-19 Games
These are the players who have played enough games to earn more responsibility but they're still essentially rookies and have to be shown some level of patience.

0-5 Games
These are your rookies and typically you've promoted them to the NRL squad because they're supremely talented but you know that you've really got to simplify their role and give them room to make mistakes.

Now is that the general rule of thumb clubs operate under? No, but I thought it was an interesting way to look at squads under those terms.

The 2020 Squad

200 Games+
Darius Boyd
Alex Glenn
Andrew McCullough

100-199 Games
Anthony Milford
Corey Oates
Jordan Kahu

60-99 Games
Joe Ofahengaue
Jack Bird
Tevita Pangai Jr

20-59 Games
Matt Lodge
Jamayne Isaako
Brodie Croft
David Fifita
Kotoni Staggs
Payne Haas
Thomas Flegler

6-19 Games
Richie Kennar
Patrick Carrigan
Jake Turpin
Jesse Arthars
Rhys Kennedy
Sean O'Sullivan

0-5 Games
Tommy Dearden
Xavier Coates
Herbie Farnworth
Keenan Palasia
Ilikena Vudogo
Cory Paix
Jamil Hopoate

So in comparison, the 2020 squad had nearly twice the amount of players I'd consider rookies and very little in the way of experience. Considering the injury toll, things only got worse from there with Bullemor, Niu and Riki all coming in.

I remember Robinson once discussing his views on roster balance and how he tries to manage his for the long term.

I forget how he exactly grouped them but it was something like

Veterans
Seasoned
Rookies

I decided to do my own exercise with it for the Broncos 2023 Squad, adding a few more categories into the mix.

200+ Games
Adam Reynolds

100-199 Games
Corey Oates
Kurt Capewell

60-99 Games
Payne Haas
Corey Jensen
Thomas Flegler
Kotoni Staggs
Patrick Carrigan

20-59 Games
Herbie Farnworth
Jordan Riki
Jordan Pereira
Jesse Arthars
Reece Walsh
Kobe Hetherington
Billy Walters
Tesi Niu
Keenan Palasia
Cory Paix
Selwyn Cobbo
Tyson Gamble*

6-19 Games
TC Robati
Ezra Mam

0-5 Games
Xavier Willison
Deine Mariner
Brendan Piakura
Blake Mozer
Ethan Quai-Ward

Now I may have gone too far with the sub-categories, but this was the general rule of thumb.

200 Games
Your veterans who maybe past their physical peaks but have a great understanding of the game and can problem solve with the best of them.

100-199 Games
Typically an experienced player who has made a career out of the sport. Ideally these are players entering their peak years but can often be filled with veterans who had their share of disruptions whether it be code changes

60-99 Games
A player who has broken out of the 3 season average and they're important parts of the team but they may lack experience in the bigger games.

20-59 Games
Most NRL careers only last three seasons, so this is your regular category where you expect the most amount of movement. You also see tend to see a mixture of depth players and developing players.

6-19 Games
These are the players who have played enough games to earn more responsibility but they're still essentially rookies and have to be shown some level of patience.

0-5 Games
These are your rookies and typically you've promoted them to the NRL squad because they're supremely talented but you know that you've really got to simplify their role and give them room to make mistakes.

Now is that the general rule of thumb clubs operate under? No, but I thought it was an interesting way to look at squads under those terms.
It's a good way to break down the squad but it would be interesting to get Robinson's thoughts on composition within each group.

Would also be interesting to see how 2023 compares to this year's roster (which appeared to have a large pool of experienced players)... and also how it would compare to 2020 which pretty well everyone considers to be far too inexperienced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Broncorob
  • winslow_wong
  • The True King
  • LittleDavey
  • Ghost of Vlansys
  • Totally Unr3al
  • Harry Sack
  • Robboi_321
  • Wild Horse
  • Battler
  • Big Del
  • Volvo Driver
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.