Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably taking a pay cut too 😛 /s

Screenshot 20211111 164439 Instagram

Roosters do have a lot of coin coming off their cap in the retirements of Cordner, Friend, Morris X 2. Ikavalu also gone to the sharks. They tend to lose a few bench forwards every year so probably one or two of them have left, to be replaced by some no name poly that will skittle everyone later on next year.

I know salary sombrero and so on but it's doubtful they have used all of that upgrading people like Walker and co (who would've been on nothing and gotten modest upgrades but not 500k+ you'd assume..)

Any reason we aren’t going for B.smith? Thought we were good for $ in 2023, and a decent 9 should be high on the agenda one would have thought.
Maybe we are saving our big signing for Ponga with the knowledge that Paix is decent and Mozer is only 2-3 years away.

Roosters do have a lot of coin coming off their cap in the retirements of Cordner, Friend, Morris X 2. Ikavalu also gone to the sharks. They tend to lose a few bench forwards every year so probably one or two of them have left, to be replaced by some no name poly that will skittle everyone later on next year.

I know salary sombrero and so on but it's doubtful they have used all of that upgrading people like Walker and co (who would've been on nothing and gotten modest upgrades but not 500k+ you'd assume..)
They’ve also got Tedesco and Keary on big coin, Suali on huge coin for his age and are after BSmith.

I am not sure even Roosters fans think they’re under the cap.

They’ve also got Tedesco and Keary on big coin, Suali on huge coin for his age and are after BSmith.

I am not sure even Roosters fans think they’re under the cap.
What's big coin for his age mean tho in dollars? 300k?

We'll see if they get Smith, Roosters just get linked to everyone and everyone loses their shit.

IMO they don't even need him, Verrills is the goods.

Personally I'd just say to Isaako if you find another club willing to take you on, go for it. If you don't, we'll honour your contract.

I don't really have an issue with letting players go if we don't think it's going to work out for them or us, it serves us no purpose to keep someone we don't want. If we do want them though, then just do as Melbourne does and make clubs play full freight instead of offering discounts (or just tell them to **** off and try again when he is out of contract).
Exactly I don’t have an issue with mutual separation from a contract but when one party is forcing their hand I am against it.

What's big coin for his age mean tho in dollars? 300k?

We'll see if they get Smith, Roosters just get linked to everyone and everyone loses their shit.

IMO they don't even need him, Verrills is the goods.
Well they had to outbid Souths to get him. I believe I read somewhere in the vicinity of $500k for Suali.

I’m also pretty sure Roosters weren’t just linked to Smith, I believe they said as much publicly.

I think Dunamis would jump ahead of a few of the inexperienced players

I think Kevvie is looking for some experienced campaigners to not only provide a bit of competition for spots but also so that these experienced players can help set a few standards that maybe the younger guys that aren't used to seeing in the QLD Cup

Look back in the past few years they've had blokes like TPJ to learn off, TPJ on his day is a beast and we all know that.. but his days were few and far between

not in a full strength 17 he wouldn't ... i think Kevvie has his mix of youth and experience for the pack now (Capewell and James have signed).

Lui might be first drop should a prop go down though

Any reason we aren’t going for B.smith? Thought we were good for $ in 2023, and a decent 9 should be high on the agenda one would have thought.

From what i have heard, he hates our club.

He is also a media whore.

I'm not a huge fan of his, but Kevvie seems to want a fair bit of depth in the halves. Arey, Gamble, Kelly, Walters plus Roberts and Te Maire now on train and trials, plus Paix and Mam if needed, and who knows if Staggs is going to play 6 as well.
Go the Mam

could well be be but I just think we need another proven game winner and imo Munster and Ponga are exactly that .
i think mam / mozer and Cobbo are the future but are still very young.
Look at the success of our recent losses of Walker and Walsh and how good they are. We need some fresh blood. I think we have a good mix of experience and youth. Just some good combinations.

Look at the success of our recent losses of Walker and Walsh and how good they are. We need some fresh blood. I think we have a good mix of experience and youth. Just some good combinations.
If by success you mean having their horn blown by every commentator as the next superstars of the game, but over the course of the season actually performed OK but not brilliantly/consistently, yes I've noticed. And not too worried.

B Smith's entire game on the field is based on passion, intensity and throwing his body with reckless abandon into everything he does.

His style of play isn't sustainable over the longer term as he gets older and slows down and even one major injury and I think we'd see him unable (or unwilling) to replicate that style of play anymore.

Remember when Hunt used to kamikaze run back every kick return? He figured out pretty quickly that sustained success requires using your body properly and luckily he had the skills to add other elements to his game - I don't think Brandon Smith has anything to offer other than using himself up as a battering ram. He doesn't have the elite brain or skills to play 9 in my opinion - He's going to have a very steep and rapid decline and there's no way he's worth what those 2 teams are offering.

That's not to mention he's also a loose cannon off the field and could easily go off the rails without a coach as firm as Bellamy to keep an eye on him.

Shame to miss out on Manu though....

I think you would easily get 3 years from Brandon even with the way he plays. I think he is probably worth around that 800k mark just about.

I think you would easily get 3 years from Brandon even with the way he plays. I think he is probably worth around that 800k mark just about.
I very much doubt it. He has nothing to prove now. He's playing for the love of it (and of course the cash). His next contract will see him show an initial increase in intensity to justify his new price tag, but after a season (at most) he will start to think about self-preservation and his body post NRL. This will mean the days of reckless, gay abandon will fade into the past a la Issac Luke.

Then, he might say he's learned to play a full 80 minutes, but I think you'll find he's simply learned to pace himself and in doing so we'll see less of his destructive running, meaning he'll become less effective. I think we've seen the best of Brandon already.

Big pay, off-field distractions, ego, build up of niggling injuries, thoughts of self preservation to extend earning potential, comfort / complacency ... all factors that could see him slack off even 10-15%.

Brandon Smith playing at 85% intensity is basically Macca - no awareness, game management or special skills, just a solid defender in the middle.

There's a lot of km's on those tires for someone his age and it's not going to get any easier for him to keep playing with such disregard for his own body / pure emotion and intensity.

Maybe he's worth the price tag for the first season, but I think he's a risk on 2-3 year deal and I'd be more comfortable targetting a young player who you could build the club around for a longer period.

All players bodies accumulate wear and tear as they get older, no matter how they play the game - there's a reason that those who last in the NRL do so - they have skills, knowledge and brains to compensate for declining physical skills. Playing the way B Smith does is an express ticket to a broken down body and CTE, he will need to adapt or he'll be washed up very quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Harry Sack
  • Xzei
  • lynx000
  • BroncoFan94
  • Strop
  • Financeguy
  • Broncorob
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Broncosgirl
  • Spoon
  • FACTHUNT
  • Sproj
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Santa
  • Organix
  • winslow_wong
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Brocko
  • Waynesaurus
... and 29 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.