Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Carrigan is priority. The others are "nice if you can" territory but i wont sweat it at this stage if they fizzle.
We need quality from hooker but i think we might see improvement regardless if we have a half like reynolds taking the pressure off their shouldiers.
I felt sorry for turpin, and macca before him who often had to deal with halves who were clueless, carrying injury, or terrified to "take the bull by the horns" for fear of stuffing up and being sacked.
Turpin hasn't been great but he hasn't been a total dud either. With having a different player wearing the 7 'calling the shots' basically every week most of 21, Seibolds era apparently the game plan was too complex or something like that and nobody knew what they were doing, so I think its fair to give him this year with a elite game managing halfback, more experienced forwards and some stability in the team to step up and show what he's got.
If used properly him and Paix could really form a really good rotation utilising both their strengths.

Ikin's comments about lui are interesting. I get the sense that lui wanted a top 30 position but we would only offer a train and trial (because we want to leave a spot open).
I don’t think we particularly need him, but I don’t understand why Lui hasn’t been able to find a club yet, he’s still a solid first grader.

There are plenty of hooker options available imo. Koroisau, Mahoney, Brailey, Smith, Cotter are the five off contract for 2023 i'd be looking at. Apart from them, depending on who else they recruit, they could look at Berrell, Lawnton or Starling.

I think Hunt would be a great 7 there tbh. I know he was much maligned here at times, but in this stage of the Phins development i think they could do a lot worse than Benny at 7.
When you consider they will prob get 3x players for position 9, 7 and 6 for 1.7-1.9m - its a bargain in NRL land to kick start a club.

Carrigan is priority. The others are "nice if you can" territory but i wont sweat it at this stage if they fizzle.
We need quality from hooker but i think we might see improvement regardless if we have a half like reynolds taking the pressure off their shouldiers.
I felt sorry for turpin, and macca before him who often had to deal with halves who were clueless, carrying injury, or terrified to "take the bull by the horns" for fear of stuffing up and being sacked.

Perhaps if Macca didn't give such shit service so much of the time, things wouldn't have been as bad halves wise.

It didn't help them they had to receive the ball at a stand still, reach down, behind or above their heads to get a pass. Giving the defence that extra time to shut down their options.

Halves aren't really going to fix service out of dummy half, no matter how good they are. That's on the person at dummy half.

Perhaps if Macca didn't give such shit service so much of the time, things wouldn't have been as bad halves wise.

It didn't help them they had to receive the ball at a stand still, reach down, behind or above their heads to get a pass. Giving the defence that extra time to shut down their options.

Halves aren't really going to fix service out of dummy half, no matter how good they are. That's on the person at dummy half.
The difference with Reynolds is he knows what he wants from a dummy half, and he'll know who's most likely to give it to him. If he's getting shit service from Jake, he'll work with him to rectify that or he'll ask Kevvie to replace him. The Broncos haven't had a proper play-making captain since Lockie retired.

Jake is capable of giving good service and he's capable of making the odd play. He will improve under Adam, and he won't be required to compensate for a rudderless half.

I'm giving Jake until round 5. Same as I did Milford.

hopefully if they insist on starting with turpin we get paix on the bench, that way we can practically see how each of them influences a game differently

The difference with Reynolds is he knows what he wants from a dummy half, and he'll know who's most likely to give it to him. If he's getting shit service from Jake, he'll work with him to rectify that or he'll ask Kevvie to replace him. The Broncos haven't had a proper play-making captain since Lockie retired.

Jake is capable of giving good service and he's capable of making the odd play. He will improve under Adam, and he won't be required to compensate for a rudderless half.

I'm giving Jake until round 5. Same as I did Milford.
Exactly. How many games with both turpin and macca did we get to tackle 5 and not have a 1st recirver to kick, or have them buggering around with some trick play, low percentage, in our own half.
Even the best dummy half will start to doubt themselves (and im not say either were that).
Milford was horrible for it, and because he was the "dominent" half, it played into his fellow halfs game (who was usually a rookie himself).
Reynolds will know exactly what is needed way ahead of time and it shows with the way seemingly ordinary backs seem to lift around him, and those with potential seem to just slip into a new gear (inglis, mitchell).
A hooker knowing he is working to the left, right or centre, and that it is to achieve an outcome demonstrated consistrntly in the past, is then free to make a dummy half dart, knowing your 5/8 or half is prepared to have someone back up at 1st reciever. Thst is, rather than floating out wide for an impromptu backline fling.

Exactly. How many games with both turpin and macca did we get to tackle 5 and not have a 1st recirver to kick, or have them buggering around with some trick play, low percentage, in our own half.
Even the best dummy half will start to doubt themselves (and im not say either were that).
Milford was horrible for it, and because he was the "dominent" half, it played into his fellow halfs game (who was usually a rookie himself).
Reynolds will know exactly what is needed way ahead of time and it shows with the way seemingly ordinary backs seem to lift around him, and those with potential seem to just slip into a new gear (inglis, mitchell).
A hooker knowing he is working to the left, right or centre, and that it is to achieve an outcome demonstrated consistrntly in the past, is then free to make a dummy half dart, knowing your 5/8 or half is prepared to have someone back up at 1st reciever. Thst is, rather than floating out wide for an impromptu backline fling.
Not only has Jake never been directed on the field, he was elevated to captain and given that responsibility himself. He barely ran the ball this year, but when he did he didn't look too bad. The trouble was he was so gassed from tackling he didn't have much left in the tank. Reynolds is used to Cook creating gaps. He'll want that from Jake, and it might not take that much to adjust his style.

Like Payne's one dimensional play this year, Jake is capable of much more. Reynolds will bring that out, I'm sure. If not, whoever replaces him will be an upgrade. We can't lose either way.

Has anyone spotted Isaako at any point over the last few months? I’m starting to worry for his well-being.

Feel like he’s been Stalin’d out of all media.

Has anyone spotted Isaako at any point over the last few months? I’m starting to worry for his well-being.

Feel like he’s been Stalin’d out of all media.

If it's any indication that he's out of here, good.

If it's any indication that he's out of here, good.
I think he can be valuable, we were just asking way too much of him. Hes one of those guys that's a natural athlete but just needs a simple job and slow burn to gradually gain confidence.

Not only has Jake never been directed on the field, he was elevated to captain and given that responsibility himself. He barely ran the ball this year, but when he did he didn't look too bad. The trouble was he was so gassed from tackling he didn't have much left in the tank. Reynolds is used to Cook creating gaps. He'll want that from Jake, and it might not take that much to adjust his style.

Like Payne's one dimensional play this year, Jake is capable of much more. Reynolds will bring that out, I'm sure. If not, whoever replaces him will be an upgrade. We can't lose either way.

Should a good hooker really need that much direction?

Isaako certainly has ability, but i think he needs his game just simplified. He can still be a really good winger if he just concentrates on being one instead of being a goal kicking Josh Hoffman.

Should a good hooker really need that much direction?
At his pay grade, it wouldn't do any harm. But you could say the same for the entire team. They all looked directionless, including our best player, Payne.

I think he can be valuable, we were just asking way too much of him. Hes one of those guys that's a natural athlete but just needs a simple job and slow burn to gradually gain confidence.
Isaako certainly has ability, but i think he needs his game just simplified. He can still be a really good winger if he just concentrates on being one instead of being a goal kicking Josh Hoffman.
When he was playing outside of Staggs late in the year I thought he was quite good. Just needs to focus on being a winger, he's won the broncos more games by individual brilliance than he's lost.

He's better under the high ball than Tesi.

Isaako was playing for South's Logan, he won't be back for a few weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Johnny92
  • broncos4life
  • Santa
  • Browny
  • Morkel
  • Alec
  • Nerd
  • Mighty Bronx
  • Skathen
  • Tmac
  • Sproj
  • Foordy
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Bish
  • mystico
  • Adammacca
  • Brocko
  • Ras
  • Locky's Left Boot
... and 10 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.