Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Phins put out the SOS for croft for 2023 :)

You have to be concerned that as we head into pre-season, they haven't named a single player yet, as the season rolls on and players commit to further deals it's only to become harder for Redcliffe to recruit, particularly a big name.

Probably be a lot easier to recruit a few if the club in the same area had a few that were looking for an out and contractually that was an option, that's not the case, at least not contractually.

Nope, not really concerned at all. The window has been open for less than 3 weeks. Plenty going on behind the scenes the public wont hear about. The Dolphins dont have to concern themselves with pre season for 2022, they have plenty of time to assess the market without that distraction.

Not sure why people are so obsessed with them trying to sign a big name. If they get one, great, but their strategy wont be based on soley who is around in 2023, they will be building over the first 2 or 3 years. They need a solid platform to work from, thats the most important thing for 2023. Bit difficult really to sign superstar players when there is probably only 1 on the market for 2023 anyway. I keep saying it, but 2024 is the year i believe they will bring in some bigger name players.

Put it this way, the titans already had Campbell, Prince, Bailey and Matt Rodgers signed at this stage when they were this far out from joining the comp. The dolphins are so far behind its not funny

Different market now compared to then, and the GC got entry to the NRL months earlier that the Dolphins so the comparison really isnt that fair.

Sometimes things just fall into place at the right time. Scott Prince for example wanted out of the Tigers at the end of his contract as he didnt like the Sydney lifestyle and the Titans took advantage and bought him back to QLD. There arent any quality half backs ( or any halves really for that matter ) off contract like that in 2023 for the Dolphins to target.

Also, the titans hadnt locked up a lot of players at this stage. I just mentioned Prince, he signed for the GC in march 2006 for the 2007 season. Matt Rogers signed around September 2006. I think Bailey and Campbell signed in 2005 as their first 2 signings. We are only in November 2021 waiting for the 2023 season entry of the Dolphins. They arent as far behind as you think they are.

Different market now compared to then, and the GC got entry to the NRL months earlier that the Dolphins so the comparison really isnt that fair.

Sometimes things just fall into place at the right time. Scott Prince for example wanted out of the Tigers at the end of his contract as he didnt like the Sydney lifestyle and the Titans took advantage and bought him back to QLD. There arent any quality half backs ( or any halves really for that matter ) off contract like that in 2023 for the Dolphins to target.

Also, the titans hadnt locked up a lot of players at this stage. I just mentioned Prince, he signed for the GC in march 2006 for the 2007 season. Matt Rogers signed around September 2006. I think Bailey and Campbell signed in 2005 as their first 2 signings. We are only in November 2021 waiting for the 2023 season entry of the Dolphins. They arent as far behind as you think they are.
I agree that they shouldn’t bend to pressure of landing a big name player but instead go for a solid core group of mid rangers and youngsters - they can probably even heavily front-load 2023 contracts and have them reduce considerably in 2024 allowing enough money for big signings to top the team off.

I think Welch is the bare minimum though to have a serviceable team, a few others like Tino, Opacic, Carrigan, Reed/Brendon.

Im sure they’ve already sent out a memo to all clubs saying “let us know who you have on contract in 2023 that you would be open to let go early”. There’d be a few discards in the league that Bennett could get a lot out of.

I suspect Lodge may end up there now OSullivan and Bennett are on board, and his son interestingly only signed a 1 year deal at Penrith.

Possible/likely 2023 established players:
Welch(c)
Reed / Smith
Lodge
Tino
Oates
Opacic
O’Sullivan
Sims
Isaako

I agree that they shouldn’t bend to pressure of landing a big name player but instead go for a solid core group of mid rangers and youngsters - they can probably even heavily front-load 2023 contracts and have them reduce considerably in 2024 allowing enough money for big signings to top the team off.

I think Welch is the bare minimum though to have a serviceable team, a few others like Tino, Opacic, Carrigan, Reed/Brendon.

Im sure they’ve already sent out a memo to all clubs saying “let us know who you have on contract in 2023 that you would be open to let go early”. There’d be a few discards in the league that Bennett could get a lot out of.

I suspect Lodge may end up there now OSullivan and Bennett are on board, and his son interestingly only signed a 1 year deal at Penrith.

Possible/likely 2023 established players:
Welch(c)
Reed / Smith
Lodge
Tino
Oates
Opacic
O’Sullivan
Sims
Isaako

I reckon we might see them bring back some players from England like Sezer or Widdop.

News is reporting the Dolphins are sussing out Selwyn Cobbo, Jamayne Isaako and Pat Carrigan.

Patty apparently met Wayne yesterday and "toured the facilities." Meanwhile, the Broncos have revised his two year offer to around $500,000 a season. He's expected to announce he's staying put next week.

Jaymayne is tipped to join the Dolphins in 2023. But that's just a guess.

Cobbo’s manager Tas Bartlett:

“The Dolphins have indicated they would be keen to talk to Selwyn when the time is right. Selwyn is contracted to the Broncos until 2023, so Brisbane have a year’s headstart and we will be giving the Broncos every opportunity to extend Selwyn on his current deal. His preference is to stay at the Broncos, he was a Broncos fan as a kid so he is living out his dream."

“We’ll unpack things during the pre-season, go through things with the Broncos and see if a new deal can be reached. If a deal can’t be reached, then the Dolphins are an option. Selwyn played in their backyard on the Sunshine Coast as a junior, so the Dolphins would have major appeal.”

O’Sullivan:

“Selwyn is a class player. When he is off-contract, every club in the NRL would be keen to have him in their backline. I remember watching him earlier this year playing a trial in the same game as Reece Walsh. Selwyn played half a game for Wynnum and half a game for the Broncos and he was every bit as impressive as Reece that night. It’s hard to make comparisons because every guy is their own player but you are kidding yourself if you don’t see similarities between Selwyn Cobbo and guys like Latrell and Greg in the way he moves.”

McHunt

News is reporting the Dolphins are sussing out Selwyn Cobbo, Jamayne Isaako and Pat Carrigan.

Patty apparently met Wayne yesterday and "toured the facilities." Meanwhile, the Broncos have revised his two year offer to around $500,000 a season. He's expected to announce he's staying put next week.

“The Dolphins have indicated they would be keen to talk to Selwyn when the time is right. Selwyn is contracted to the Broncos until 2023, so Brisbane have a year’s headstart and we will be giving the Broncos every opportunity to extend Selwyn on his current deal. His preference is to stay at the Broncos, he was a Broncos fan as a kid so he is living out his dream."

“We’ll unpack things during the pre-season, go through things with the Broncos and see if a new deal can be reached. If a deal can’t be reached, then the Dolphins are an option. Selwyn played in their backyard on the Sunshine Coast as a junior, so the Dolphins would have major appeal.”

O’Sullivan:

“Selwyn is a class player. When he is off-contract, every club in the NRL would be keen to have him in their backline. I remember watching him earlier this year playing a trial in the same game as Reece Walsh. Selwyn played half a game for Wynnum and half a game for the Broncos and he was every bit as impressive as Reece that night. It’s hard to make comparisons because every guy is their own player but you are kidding yourself if you don’t see similarities between Selwyn Cobbo and guys like Latrell and Greg in the way he moves.”

McHunt
Ooft not sure how I feel about 500k a year for Patty. He better have a blinder this season. Could almost get Welch for that.

O’Sullivan:

McHunt
Isn’t patty from the dolphins? Why the **** would he tour the facilities? Did he forget what they look like?

Isn’t patty from the dolphins? Why the **** would he tour the facilities? Did he forget what they look like?
100% mate. The whole situation reminds me of this sheila i went out with a few times, after dinner one night she invited me back to her place for coffee. Who drinks coffee at 10pm? What an absolute waste of time that whole thing was. Hopefully Patty is a man of the world like you and me and sees the 'phins are just wasting his time when they could be getting down to business.

Pat never played for the Phins. He was at Wynnum in ISC and his junior club was Easts Tigers.
When you flagged him as a big target I assumed he must have played for them. My bad.

When you flagged him as a big target I assumed he must have played for them. My bad.
Then again now I think about it I assume you believe every club sees him as a big target @Wolfie ?

100% mate. The whole situation reminds me of this sheila i went out with a few times, after dinner one night she invited me back to her place for coffee. Who drinks coffee at 10pm? What an absolute waste of time that whole thing was. Hopefully Patty is a man of the world like you and me and sees the 'phins are just wasting his time when they could be getting down to business.
You’re George Costanza, aren’t you?

Ooft not sure how I feel about 500k a year for Patty. He better have a blinder this season. Could almost get Welch for that.
I agree. Happy to let Carrigan go. He is a few years being off a 500k player

Isaako will be a legitimately good NRL winger if/when he loses his Hoffman-esque delusion about being a fullback.

Just spent five minutes watching JYY highlights and Jesus I miss that guy.

Got me thinking about Jamayne and Hoffman before that.

If you look at how universally loved JYY was, and how shattering it was when he got injured, I genuinely cannot understand why wingers get so wound up wanting to be a fullback.

If you’re truly that good, your career at centre or wing will naturally push you to fullback because you’re a game changer.

Better yet after a clanger or a year or two sitting in the wing or centre might get your confidence back.

I wonder if this is a millennial “gratitude and satisfaction immediately” problem but truly in team sport if you’re getting paid $300-400k when you’re in your early twenties to catch a ball on the wing, is it really that bad?

Jamayne was on fire in his rookie year and if that returned I think we’d all be thrilled

It would be nice to keep Patty but I don't care that much if we lose him so long as we keep Cobbs, he is the key one to keep.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• GCBRONCO
  • BroncosAlways
  • Harry Sack
  • westy316
  • Maroon4life
  • Xzei
  • Fitzy
  • FACTHUNT
  • Foordy
  • Battler
  • Jedhead
  • broncsgoat
  • Sproj
  • MrTickyMcG
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Broncosgirl
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.