Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really don't know why we didn't try to keep Levi, I'm assuming Kevvie prioritised Billy and he has been ok but you can see he is makeshift hooker.
My working theory is Kevvie somehow conspired to create a dummy half vacuum to suck Billy into, but I suspect - based on very little - it had something more to do with Levi's personality.

Segy's been on the market for yonks too. He was great off the bench, but same deal.

I don't think Billy is "bad" by any means, and I haven't done a forensic examination of other hookers, but I couldn't see any other team wanting to poach him.

I haven't watched enough Tigers games to comment on him. I'd definitely take Api.

I would try to shape Gamble into dummy half, but concensus here is he's too tall. He has the character I like in one, his hands are decent, but most of all we win when he plays.

Billy is the kind of player other players want to play with .
Competitor of a high order . I can imagine him being a hard trainer .
He is the 1 % guy . Lot`s of little things that might go unnoticed . Remember hearing Patty miked up ?
He was talkin to Billy nearly every tackle .

Get ready for Badel's latest doozy.

According to Badel Flegler has become the most sort after forward in the game after "Fielding offers" of "up to" 800k a season, to leave us.

Flegler is off contract at the end of next year making him a "free agent" from November 1 (so I don't know how he could field offers, when other clubs can't make him offers until Nov 1)

Badel says 4 rivals (including two Sydney based clubs) have lodged "expressions of interests" for Flegler

Badel says that Flegs preference is to remain with us, but we face a "big money battle" to keep Haas, so salary cap pressures could force Flegs out.

Badel says Flegler is on $650k this season, but NRL suitors have discussed offers of $750k to $800k annually in a bid to prise the hard-running forward from the Broncos.

Badel says we want to keep Flegs

Fleglers manager, Tas Bartlett of PSM says:

“What happens with Payne Haas and the Broncos will have a bearing on what happens with Tom,”

“The Broncos will sit down with Payne at the end of the year and unfortunately, the Broncos may not be able to afford Tom.

“He is on good money at the moment and sometimes four or five really good forwards don’t go into three under the salary cap.

“Tom would love to stay at the Broncos, he has been with the club since he was a teenager, but there’s some big money being offered to him and we have to consider it.

“We will be testing his value on the open market.

“He is in no rush, he is contracted until the end of 2023 and whether Brisbane can match the deal he is currently on with the fantastic young roster they have coming through, it might be difficult financially.”

“The Broncos value Tom and they would love to keep him, but with the salary cap, every club knows you can’t always keep the guys you want,” Bartlett said.

“We’ve had interest from four clubs.

“Tom is still only 23 and after four seasons in the NRL, he is coming into the prime of his career in terms of middle forwards.

“If he was to stay at the Broncos, they will get a lot out of him, but if he was to go to another club, he would be a great signing because he ticks all the boxes.

“Tom is the aggressor who brings a hard edge. Other players love playing with a guy like Jared Waerea-Hargreaves (Roosters enforcer) ... and every club needs a tough prop like Flegler on their roster.

“Clubs are willing to pay him around $750,000-$800,000, that’s what the market is telling us.

“Tom will have to consider staying at a reduced rate to be part of something.

“The Broncos are building towards success with their roster and often players take less to stay if they are winning.

“My other client, Selwyn Cobbo, took less to stay at the Broncos and there’s every chance ‘Fleg’ will want to stay with his mates and take less to chase a premiership.

“I will present all the options to Tom and he will make the final call.”

Kevvie says:

“’Fleg’ has forced his way into the starting side with his performances through the season,” he said.

“He has got that bit of spark about him. All our forwards want to start and there’s only so many positions you can start in, but while Tom continues to do a great job, he will remain there.”
Is this the reasoning as to why he's found himself in the starting side.... (he's needed now with Patty out, but prior to that I thought it wasn't totally necessary at the expense of Jensen)

I do think Flegs and Patty starting offers more than Haas and Patty starting only because them as a pair bring so much aggression and line speed in the middle. Those two as a pair would win the opening 20-30mins of every game.

$800k is a total laugh though... that reeks of someone offering $800k over 2yrs... no way is someone offering Flegler $800k... A desperate club might offer $550-$600k, but there can't be anyone offering AFB, Haas or JFH money for Flegler

Billy is the kind of player other players want to play with .
Competitor of a high order . I can imagine him being a hard trainer .
He is the 1 % guy . Lot`s of little things that might go unnoticed . Remember hearing Patty miked up ?
He was talkin to Billy nearly every tackle .
I see that, and will happily cheer him on, but I think he's at his skill ceiling already. I can't help but see him as a stepping stone to someone else.

8. Flegler
10. Carrigan
13. Hetherington

is much cheaper than:
8. Haas
10. Flegler
13. Carrigan

And I argue FAR better value given how much Haas costs and how soft he is defensively.

IF Flegler is chasing $800k he will be leaving. I wouldnt pay Haas that either. $800k for Flegler or Payne imo just isnt value for money.

I genuinely don't think he wants to leave and I think he will happily take less to stay. At the end of the day, you can probably afford one middle on that kind of money and for us, it is Carrigan, don't even need to think twice AND the best bit is, he isn't costing that much. So you can even out say 1.2 million over two middles and for me, given Haas wants that on his own, see you Payne.

I genuinely don't think he wants to leave and I think he will happily take less to stay. At the end of the day, you can probably afford one middle on that kind of money and for us, it is Carrigan, don't even need to think twice AND the best bit is, he isn't costing that much. So you can even out say 1.2 million over two middles and for me, given Haas wants that on his own, see you Payne.

I dont think he wants to leave, but it depends how much less really he will take. I dont see us going over $700k, and even then i think its a little too much, but we have had a few players who said they want to stay, but then they get offered $200-300k over what we offer and they understandably take the money.

I would be offering Flegler around 600k tops, at the end of the day he's only been a bench forward no matter what anyone says it's true.

My working theory is Kevvie somehow conspired to create a dummy half vacuum to suck Billy into, but I suspect - based on very little - it had something more to do with Levi's personality.

Segy's been on the market for yonks too. He was great off the bench, but same deal.
We’re hardly the first NRL club to give Levi the flick…

I dont think he wants to leave, but it depends how much less really he will take. I dont see us going over $700k, and even then i think its a little too much, but we have had a few players who said they want to stay, but then they get offered $200-300k over what we offer and they understandably take the money.
I dont see us going over $500k.

$700k is ridiculous... that puts him in the upper echelon of props... it puts him on more money than Pat.

He's nowhere near that sort of money

I dont see us going over $500k.

$700k is ridiculous... that puts him in the upper echelon of props... it puts him on more money than Pat.

He's nowhere near that sort of money

I think he is already on more than $500k. I'd say minimum he's on that now, werent there figures of about $650 for his current deal?

I think he is already on more than $500k. I'd say minimum he's on that now, werent there figures of about $650 for his current deal?
I think that's been a **** up from the media reporting over his entire career, which they know but have never bothered to correct

I think it was reported early that he was fielding offers over $650k... but in reality those offers were $650k over 2-3yrs.

They do this shit all the time where it's like "Tigers young gun signs $1m dollar deal" but in reality it's $1m over 4yrs.

I cannot see anyone in their right mind offering Flegler $800k unless it's over 2yr... even $650k is waaaay too much for his current output

8. Flegler
10. Carrigan
13. Hetherington

is much cheaper than:
8. Haas
10. Flegler
13. Carrigan

And I argue FAR better value given how much Haas costs and how soft he is defensively.

Hetherington has been barely effective .
One good bust all season . We would need a lot more from him as #13 . Either more metres or link plays . Not strong at either .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Brocko
  • LittleDavey
  • Morkel
  • Johnny92
  • Mr Fourex
  • BroncoFan94
  • MrTickyMcG
  • broncos4life
  • Nerd
  • Harry Sack
  • Organix
  • Shane Tronc
  • Browny
  • Waynesaurus
  • bazza
  • Fozz
  • Foordy
  • Broncosgirl
  • broncsgoat
  • winslow_wong
... and 23 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.