Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2023

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Well that's gotta be the first time anyone affiliated with the NSWRL has ever said anything positive about anything related to the Broncos... even if it is just to have a dig at Union.
He loves sticking it to other codes:

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
I guess, but his formal job is to coach the Magpies, who only have a few of the baby Broncos. The same with U19 etc.

Souths have Mozer, Te Kura, Leota, Symonds and Semu all under 19 and playing Meninga or Cup.

Swordfish

Swordfish

QCup Player
Aug 24, 2022
It was in the Michael Carayannis & Brent Read Sports Confidential section.

The report is the Roosters have a number of players off-contract and Brisbane have entered the race for Fletcher Baker. They're just one of several clubs chasing his signature.
Why? Why? Why?
Have we given up on Piakura?
Doesn’t make sense to me at all.
The Baker guy isn’t demanding selection in 17 week in week out. Hope it’s just a rumor.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Why? Why? Why?
The Baker guy isn’t demanding selection in 17 week in week out. Hope it’s just a rumor.

Don't they play different positions?

Besides it's not like Piakura is banging the door down either

Financeguy

Financeguy

NRL Player
Apr 24, 2013
Why? Why? Why?
We are losing Flegler and Palasia...seems like the Baker enquiry is to potentially fill a gap with a player who will be cost effective due to what you have already pointed out, he is not currently a regular first grader. Maybe the Broncs coaching team see some upside in him.

Look at it like the Jensen and Taupau signing...low risk with potentially decent reward.

LittleDavey

LittleDavey

NRL Captain
Mar 25, 2013
We need moneyball forwards. idk about Baker personally but our recruitment of late has been very good so I tend to trust the team atm.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
We are losing Flegler and Palasia...seems like the Baker enquiry is to potentially fill a gap with a player who will be cost effective due to what you have already pointed out, he is not currently a regular first grader. Maybe the Broncs coaching team see some upside in him.

Look at it like the Jensen and Taupau signing...low risk with potentially decent reward.
With the way we identified Jensen and have made him a crucial cog in our team, and the way Briers was talking stats in that Haas article, mixed with Donaghy’s exposure to the the storm’s top secret moneyball-o-metre 3000, and something something Ben Ikin; I have full confidence at the moment that if we are chasing a player there has been a good amount of strategic thinking at play.

Baker must be seen to offer something of value beyond his price range.

Fitzy

Fitzy

NRL Captain
Sep 10, 2018
I like the idea of Baker. Isn’t going to break the bank. Can play in the 17 but also isn’t a big enough name too, if Willison and Te Kura start banging the door down he can play Reggie’s. Cheap, Moneyball forward with the ability to play anywhere in the backrow as well as front row. Our coaches have got the best out of middle forwards over the past 2 years and IMO Baker seems like a player that if you can get performing well he will be extremely valuable. I like it a lot. Worst case scenario is we have a cheapy forward who plays 10-15 games a year at a decent ability through injuries, suspensions and origin. I don’t know what there isn’t to like about this potential signing.

Swordfish

Swordfish

QCup Player
Aug 24, 2022
Don't they play different positions?

Besides it's not like Piakura is banging the door down either
I thought he mostly filled in at back row & couple of times at centers. Didn’t know he’s a middle forward who can play back row 🤷‍♂️

On a second thought, I realize this. 👍

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
The interchange was much more limited in those days.
Fatigued forwards late each half meant more opportunities for off the cuff . More inter changes , higher fitness levels , and better structured defence has changed the #7s role .

How so?

Active Now

• Bucking Beads
  • Old Mate
  • LittleDavey
  • Harry Sack
  • barker
  • Financeguy
  • Allo
  • Aldo
  • Stix
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Jazza
  • Swordfish
  • Alec
  • Brocko
  • TimWhatley
  • Waynesaurus
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.