Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2023

Strop

Strop

NRL Player
Contributor
Feb 28, 2015
If he were to return to us as the Reynolds replacement, then wouldn’t he be in the same situation? We need a controlling organiser not the ‘off the cuff’ style that he and his family consider as his strength. Mam is our x-factor half. We need another Reynolds style to complement.

Swordfish

Swordfish

QCup Player
Aug 24, 2022
Yes, I suspect that question has been asked of all and sundry joining Kevin’s coaching team.
Perhaps you can’t recall Brad playing for us. He was an outstanding fierce competitor that showed great physical and mental toughness. Worth a shot of injecting a bit into our current setup.
How big a coaching department do we want Kev to have?
Kev currently have
Cartwright,
Briers,
Balin,
Boyd (working with outside backs),
Alf ( though only runs the drinks during game, he surely must be part of setup) & finally Adam when he hangs up the boots in 2025(?).

J

Johnny92

NRL Player
Jul 3, 2021
If he were to return to us as the Reynolds replacement, then wouldn’t he be in the same situation? We need a controlling organiser not the ‘off the cuff’ style that he and his family consider as his strength. Mam is our x-factor half. We need another Reynolds style to complement.
Yeah he'd have to wait his turn and yes and no if Mozer or Walsh can organise from their positions Sam would be able to play his 'off the cuff' style and still feed the outside backs and hit the backrowers running lines.
I think Sam can do it but the roosters want another Cronk, games I've seen him play he's still played your structured halfback at times and the play breaks down with Tedesco.

He wouldn't fit in our team currently but a future spine of Walsh, Mam, Walker, Mozer could potentially be the future origin spine aswell for a good part of a decade.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
"Off The Cuff" isn't a halfback's job, that's for the #6. The gloss seems to be wearing off on the Roosters' slick operation. But also, **** having a player's uncles looking over your shoulder, antagonising for the team to play a certain way that suits their nephew. As much as the Broncos seemingly fucked up his signing, it was obvious to me that the uncles were going to be interfering and unwelcome baggage, and this is turning out to be the case.

Gaz

Gaz

NRL Captain
Contributor
Oct 7, 2017
Kev currently have
Cartwright,
Briers,
Balin,
Alf ( though only runs the drinks during game, he surely must be part of setup) & finally Adam when he hangs up the boots in 2025(?).
Whatever it takes mate. Mal Meninga proved you don’t need to know how to coach to be successful - just need to have assistants who do.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Actually? That’s a crazy stat
I shit you not, both teams with Blake Mozer at 9. I'll be astonished if this isn't a stepping stone into the Broncos within a year or two. And if not, Wayne will nab him.

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
Actually? That’s a crazy stat

Keep in mind Meninga is eight games and ends in April. Then he’s four games and one bye into ISC and had two draws.

So it’s a 12 game “winning streak” across two age groups with two teams and two draws in 12 months.

He’s certainly improved Souths this year. They only won one game last year and have already won two no way they put 56 on Dolphins 12 months ago.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Kev currently have
Cartwright,
Briers,
Balin,
Bring Karmichael Hunt in for Boyd in the preseason.
I would make room for Thorn, even on a casual basis, if he's out of work.
My only fear is the pair of them might romanticize a stint in rugby.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
PVL:

“Payne Haas is a great player and it’s important to keep all our players. I’m not worried about us losing players. If Hamish McLennan is looking for free publicity, we’re not going to entertain it. His sport isn’t doing very well so he tries to use our sport to publicise them. I won’t be falling into that trap."​
“If rugby union isn’t good enough to gain its own publicity, don’t use rugby league. He is using our product because rugby union can’t generate their own news. Maybe if their game was more interesting, they would have some publicity.”​

Screen2256ae0359bf4df77b46c1692d0fee83

Walters:

“It’s about keeping Payne happy and making sure he’s learning here and developing as a footballer, which I believe he is. It’s up to Payne’s management and our staff to sort a deal out. I’m very confident that that will happen, it might take a few weeks but I’m sure that Payne wants to stay and we certainly want to keep him. We’ve had a few conversations but it’s more with Payne’s management and our guys who are in charge there. We’ve got no real reason to think Payne wouldn’t want to be here in a few years.”​
“I believe Payne belongs in a Broncos jersey but we’ll let the work in that space stay there. Right now he’s playing great footy for us and I expect that to continue tomorrow night. Payne’s been here when there has been some tough times. We’re into some greener pastures at the moment and Payne is a big part of that and a big reason why we’re into the greener pastures. We look forward to him maintaining that, he’s enjoying his footy, loving living in ‘Brissie’. We just need him to stay here, we want him to stay.”​
“All the noise is coming from the outside world and rugby, so we’ve got no concerns, our concern is tomorrow night here and then next week against Souths when Payne will be back in a Broncos jersey.”​

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
PVL:

“Payne Haas is a great player and it’s important to keep all our players. I’m not worried about us losing players. If Hamish McLennan is looking for free publicity, we’re not going to entertain it. His sport isn’t doing very well so he tries to use our sport to publicise them. I won’t be falling into that trap."​
“If rugby union isn’t good enough to gain its own publicity, don’t use rugby league. He is using our product because rugby union can’t generate their own news. Maybe if their game was more interesting, they would have some publicity.”​

View attachment 21906

Walters:

“It’s about keeping Payne happy and making sure he’s learning here and developing as a footballer, which I believe he is. It’s up to Payne’s management and our staff to sort a deal out. I’m very confident that that will happen, it might take a few weeks but I’m sure that Payne wants to stay and we certainly want to keep him. We’ve had a few conversations but it’s more with Payne’s management and our guys who are in charge there. We’ve got no real reason to think Payne wouldn’t want to be here in a few years.”​
“I believe Payne belongs in a Broncos jersey but we’ll let the work in that space stay there. Right now he’s playing great footy for us and I expect that to continue tomorrow night. Payne’s been here when there has been some tough times. We’re into some greener pastures at the moment and Payne is a big part of that and a big reason why we’re into the greener pastures. We look forward to him maintaining that, he’s enjoying his footy, loving living in ‘Brissie’. We just need him to stay here, we want him to stay.”​
“All the noise is coming from the outside world and rugby, so we’ve got no concerns, our concern is tomorrow night here and then next week against Souths when Payne will be back in a Broncos jersey.”​

Is this the Kevvie kiss of death? I guess if Payne comes out and says stick with us, I love this club, then we are in trouble.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Is this the Kevvie kiss of death? I guess if Payne comes out and says stick with us, I love this club, then we are in trouble.
Realistically, I don't think you can take anything away from anything Kevvie says in public - either way - other than he comes across as a good bloke. And being a good bloke is his super power. Maybe that's how we got Reece back. He doesn't burn bridges.

Active Now

• bb_gun
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Lozza
  • Dash
  • Santa
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.