Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2023

J

Johnny92

NRL Player
Jul 3, 2021
What would flicking someone like Capewell say to the rest of the team?
If we want to build a loyal culture where blokes will stay for less to keep the team together we can't be flicking the guys like Capewell and Oates who are showing the next gen what needs to be done.
If Piakura wasn't inline for a starting spot Kev wouldn't be moving Capewell around to bring him into the game.

L

Lockysillegitimatechild

State of Origin Rep
Apr 10, 2015
Piakura is playing well but if he wants more money then bye bye... have fun at the bulldogs with chicken sandwich.

If his reported contract is true he still isn't worth what he is on. Yes he's showing the potentially, but he's still about 2 years late.

I think he is a better player potentially then riki and capewell, but if the last few years have shown us time and time and time and time and time again its:
hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard. If you want a starting spot, earn it or fuvk off....

BooKhaki

BooKhaki

NRL Player
Sep 16, 2020
Piakura off contract come November 1st and saying “I want to play for this club, but I’m looking for a starting jersey."

Kevvie and the recruitment staff are going to have some tough decisions to make with both Capewell and Riki coming off contract at the same time too.

I think we could afford to keep all three and still give Piakura that starting spot. Carrigan to front row, Capewell to lock, Piakura to backrow.

Or Capewell can play off the bench.
This. Carrigan is a prop, and Capewell is a good ball player. Will make us a much better attacking side and give Walsh better ball, IMO.

B

Broncorob

QCup Player
Jul 26, 2020
Piakura is playing well but if he wants more money then bye bye... have fun at the bulldogs with chicken sandwich.

If his reported contract is true he still isn't worth what he is on. Yes he's showing the potentially, but he's still about 2 years late.

I think he is a better player potentially then riki and capewell, but if the last few years have shown us time and time and time and time and time again its:
hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard. If you want a starting spot, earn it or fuvk off....
i think Riki and Piakura is future backrow. TBH need to keep Capewell because he will sacrifice if required. Piakura maybe higher ceiling but i love Riki work ethic. we let the most talented generational 2nd rower go to titans...who is winning

Organix

Organix

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Sep 19, 2012
I would pick Riki to be the one to miss out if I head too. He can kick chase as a middle off the bench. As amazing as it is, he doesn’t offer much else

Loop Trump GIF

He protects Adam Reynolds soooo much. He is job is vital and he has been amazing this year.

Swordfish

Swordfish

QCup Player
Aug 24, 2022
Exactly. With Riki on our right edge, for some reason it makes me think our whole right edge is in sync. Riki protected Adam so well & he got better at it. When Riki’s out though Patty covered for him, I don’t think it was fluid. Though Patty didn’t do Riki’s kick chases, he sure did match it with his hits.

Bottom line, Riki & Capewell earned the right to be our first choice back row partners. If Piakura want to displace one of them, he needs to perform on the field.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
Loop Trump GIF

He protects Adam Reynolds soooo much. He is job is vital and he has been amazing this year.
currently. I think long term Piakura is actually a better defender than Riki too. Way better tackling technique.

Ultimately I’m sure the club can make them all fit which is nice so we can all hold hands and skip to our 15 back to back premierships

Organix

Organix

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Sep 19, 2012
currently. I think long term Piakura is actually a better defender than Riki too. Way better tackling technique.

Ultimately I’m sure the club can make them all fit which is nice so we can all hold hands and skip to our 15 back to back premierships
Maybe, but I think against Eels Piakura was swapped in for Riki, he rushed up on a play and they flooded down that side and scored. Riki isn't perfect, but this season he was definitely fitter than Piakura, who was flat gassed in some of his appearances.
A big preseason (Which I'm now starting to take as code for PED cycle, based on recent pundit commentary) and I think Piakura will be pushing Capewell out.
He is a gun, and I want two young fit back-rowers there for the next 15 too!!

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
Maybe, but I think against Eels Piakura was swapped in for Riki, he rushed up on a play and they flooded down that side and scored. Riki isn't perfect, but this season he was definitely fitter than Piakura, who was flat gassed in some of his appearances.
A big preseason (Which I'm now starting to take as code for PED cycle, based on recent pundit commentary) and I think Piakura will be pushing Capewell out.
He is a gun, and I want two young fit back-rowers there for the next 15 too!!
All fair points but now I’m mostly interested in the big preseason comment

Big Del

Big Del

NRL Captain
Apr 22, 2017
Needs to do more in attack .
His tippy toe ing into the line fails to impress me . Looks like Tarzan , runs like Jane .

Organix

Organix

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Sep 19, 2012
All fair points but now I’m mostly interested in the big preseason comment
I dunno, just a few things said lately by a few different people. Plus, it wouldn't surprise me in this sport. Young kids need to pack on some weight and strength, "have a good preseason", and all of a sudden they are like supermen.

mitch222

mitch222

State of Origin Captain
Apr 4, 2014
Piakura should not effect Capewell in any form on this team. Capewell will transition into the middle as he is losing his mobility. But his leadership is absolutely paramount to keep a lid on all the younger players and making sure they continue to set the standards that the club lost when we fucked all of our experienced players for the flash in the pans who started slacking off because no one was there to hold them accountable.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
I dunno, just a few things said lately by a few different people. Plus, it wouldn't surprise me in this sport. Young kids need to pack on some weight and strength, "have a good preseason", and all of a sudden they are like supermen.
Yeah I just always assumed it was an unspoken agreement between everyone. Do you have any examples? I am highly entertained by this topic.

Im absolutely not making any suggestions of any wrong doing at all but I always found it funny that while a certain player was in exile for doping he decided to run a gym in Thailand of all places. often hosting players who wanted to turn their careers around doing camps there.

Also funny that although Xerri has nothing at all on right now and the dogs are dead last, he signed a year out from re-entering the testing pool, I mean comp.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
I don't have an issue with him showing some ambition. I'm sure he knows he has to earn it but you want players with fire in the belly.

Its just about the optics of it for me. His quote of " I want to play for this club, but i want a starting jersey " gives me vibes of play me or i'm off. I dont know if thats the case, but like i said, thats just what i see what players dont make the point they need to earn their spots.

Xzei

Xzei

State of Origin Rep
Mar 13, 2017
Its just about the optics of it for me. His quote of " I want to play for this club, but i want a starting jersey " gives me vibes of play me or i'm off. I dont know if thats the case, but like i said, thats just what i see what players dont make the point they need to earn their spots.
i mean in isolation it reads that way but no so much with the rest of the interview imo
for example this was also said in the interview

“I just want to get more games under my belt starting; I really want to get that starting position for this club week in, week out as a player.”

Active Now

• Galah
  • sooticus
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Bucking Beads
  • RolledOates
  • Bish
  • bb_gun
  • Sproj
  • Tmac
  • Brocko
  • Manlyman
  • Waynesaurus
  • FACTHUNT
  • Big Del
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Justwin
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Fozz
... and 10 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.