Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2023

Look Karl is going to be a gun but the reality is he will struggle to ever make the halves here. The club has openly said they view Walsh as a future half and his manager won’t be an idiot after we signed a 22 year old former Aus schoolboy halfback for the duration of Reynolds contract that we are crossing our fingers he will be the future 7. At the very least Karl won’t play for the broncos until he is 20, thats before taking into account the clubs public plans don’t include him and the fact Madden might further snag the 7/a halves spot over him. Look he might not be developed until beyond then but the reality is someone like Karl wouldn’t wait till they’re 20 to get a spot at 90% of clubs.

I don’t want blokes either that don’t want to be here but really I have 0 issue with a youngster using his head to realise there is limited to no pathway at our club. This is not the same as Walsh who wouldn’t develop for 12 months or really 6 months beyond when he was released. I don’t think Karl is refusing to develop cause at minimum he has O’Sullivan, Milford and Katoa ahead of him. This seems a situation of he needs to be in an environment who is willing to back him rather than keep him in case the recruitment and retention team shit the bed.

It doesn’t appear to be a money issue and it doesn’t seem to be an unwillingness to develop reason so I have no issue releasing him despite the fact he is going to our cross town rivals. The scary reality is they will have Katoa and him torment us for a decade.

Pretty concerning

I don't think so. Cobbo is a kid and still developing both physically and mentally. add him playing 2 full Origin games and a heavy concussion in the 3rd and I'm not surprised he was stuffed.

Show some patience kid

since when do kids do that. they all demand NRL selection immediately, and if they don't get it, they'll go to a desperate club who will give it to them (development is an ugly word for them)

No **** him. Do the opposite. You could easily have him away from the top squad so he doesn't cause any unrest, then it's up to him if he wants to kick stones and likely ruin his career.

Sounds like he is willing to sit it out. I kind of dont blame some of these players if they dont see a pathway for wanting to play footy, but at the same time, you sign a contract you stick to it. You shouldnt just start asking for a release the way he is going about it, just like Haas.

This was reported last month and the club has already denied Oloapu's request.

He's signed through till 2025.

Yeah I remember that one, I was under the assumption this was another attempt now the season is over and we’ve signed Madden etc

Karl hasn't asked again, he's in camp with the Australian team about to play Fiji. He has bigger things on his mind.

I said at the time he asked this is an issue that might keep coming up for the Broncos; Dolphin kids that signed with Brisbane two years ago and now realise they could play for Dolphins. It's only going to be an issue for a little while but it might come up once or twice.

Karl hasn't asked again, he's in camp with the Australian team about to play Fiji. He has bigger things on his mind.

I said at the time he asked this is an issue that might keep coming up for the Broncos; Dolphin kids that signed with Brisbane two years ago and now realise they could play for Dolphins. It's only going to be an issue for a little while but it might come up once or twice.
Then why are we hearing about this again like it is new news?

In your opinion, given what you’ve seen of what is coming through the pipeline, would it be a mistake for the Broncos to not prioritise Oloapu?

In your opinion, given what you’ve seen of what is coming through the pipeline, would it be a mistake for the Broncos to not prioritise Oloapu?

Prioritise might be too strong, he's still only 17 and at high school but to let him go would be a massive mistake- in a football sense.

Whatever issue is going on, Broncos need to figure it out with Adamson. In light of letting Gray go they can't lose another 17 year old. 17 is your NRL players in three years hopefully. You can't lose too many of that age group.

Gray won MM player of the year on Friday, it could have easily been Karl.

He offered to sit out his contract last time so Broncos need to carefully deal with the situation.

Prioritise might be too strong, he's still only 17 and at high school but to let him go would be a massive mistake- in a football sense.

Whatever issue is going on, Broncos need to figure it out with Adamson. In light of letting Gray go they can't lose another 17 year old. 17 is your NRL players in three years hopefully. You can't lose too many of that age group.

Gray won MM player of the year on Friday, it could have easily been Karl.

He offered to sit out his contract last time so Broncos need to carefully deal with the situation.
Did you see any of Gray playing GPS rugby for TSS this year ? He was amazing

Still keep scratching my head for hooker. Just cant see a solution.

OK ,,, it`s Summer , head to the beaches .
Specifically to Surf Carnivals . Start poaching their beach sprinters .

That`s where the gun hookers come from according to TV commentators .

Still keep scratching my head for hooker. Just cant see a solution.
we’ve missed the boat a few times now. Very little remaining unless we are willing to throw up Haas, Staggs, Cobbo etc for a trade. There’s a couple guys in super league but most are pretty old. Otherwise there are some Q Cup options.

But yeah, we missed out in 5-6 reasonable options.

Unread

Active Now

• Jedhead
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Porthoz
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.