Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2023

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
I wonder if the plan is to start with smoothy and have a 9 with a bit more speed from the bench (my preference would be paix).
We need an 83 minute hooker to play 63 minutes and a slippery fucker at 14 to make up the balance. We don't currently have a slippery fucker to play 14 either. It's not Paix and it's not Walters. At the risk of being shouted out of the girl's dressing room, we want someone like Tesi or Kotoni. Yes, I know everyone hates them right now and wants them to stay in their lane, but **** it would be nice to have a lift in pace in the last 15 minutes instead of more of the same.

Paix is probably better than Walters, but neither is the kind of 14 to wreak havoc with tired forwards.

J

Johnny92

NRL Player
Jul 3, 2021
We need an 83 minute hooker to play 63 minutes and a slippery fucker at 14 to make up the balance. We don't currently have a slippery fucker to play 14 either. It's not Paix and it's not Walters. At the risk of being shouted out of the girl's dressing room, we want someone like Tesi or Kotoni. Yes, I know everyone hates them right now and wants them to stay in their lane, but **** it would be nice to have a lift in pace in the last 15 minutes instead of more of the same.

Paix is probably better than Walters, but neither is the kind of 14 to wreak havoc with tired forwards.
I agree with you here, if we've got a hooker that can go 60-80 have a game breaker as the 14. Have Kobe fill in the 9 for 10 minutes if needed. Ezra and Tesi would play this role well out of the stocks we currently have.
I haven't seen anything from Paix yet to suggest he's that player and Walters isn't that player either.

L

Lockysillegitimatechild

State of Origin Rep
Apr 10, 2015
I don't get how any of the recent rumour signings can be taken as anything but positives by the club... i havent seen much of most of thwm but they have been rumoured to have signed (either train and trial or fulltime).

Smoothy: hooker of the year in qld cup in our weakest position

josh rogers: 5/8th of the year in qld cup

Ahearn: back to back premiership captain in qld cup + spine player

Asi: grand final halfback and hyped up junior who is looking for an opportunity

I don't care if ikin is punching on with Walters, he has my vote with the way he has managed our roster lately and if walters cant work with him he can walk, **** the former players in the media. Our depth was exceptional this year, in fact we were playing better with our 3rd and 4th stringers more regularly then we were with our top side.

Will all of the depth signings work out? Of course not! But they are far better options then some 18 year old who's hyped in the media, let them bide their time and if they can't wait **** THEM. That's how we got our spoon and it obviously breeds entitlement and ego. We have to do this style anyway bcos as soon as we have a good 20 year old the media hype him up and 16 other teams are willing to pay twice the amount they deserve so we either lose them or our cap is fucked and we get another spoon. Strange how it never happens to Nick "Tiger woods" politis' team, or to Melbourne "big odds bets" storm, but that's another story...

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
I don't get how any of the recent rumour signings can be taken as anything but positives by the club... i havent seen much of most of thwm but they have been rumoured to have signed (either train and trial or fulltime).

Smoothy: hooker of the year in qld cup in our weakest position

josh rogers: 5/8th of the year in qld cup

Ahearn: back to back premiership captain in qld cup + spine player

Asi: grand final halfback and hyped up junior who is looking for an opportunity

I don't care if ikin is punching on with Walters, he has my vote with the way he has managed our roster lately and if walters cant work with him he can walk, **** the former players in the media. Our depth was exceptional this year, in fact we were playing better with our 3rd and 4th stringers more regularly then we were with our top side.

Will all of the depth signings work out? Of course not! But they are far better options then some 18 year old who's hyped in the media, let them bide their time and if they can't wait **** THEM. That's how we got our spoon and it obviously breeds entitlement and ego. We have to do this style anyway bcos as soon as we have a good 20 year old the media hype him up and 16 other teams are willing to pay twice the amount they deserve so we either lose them or our cap is fucked and we get another spoon. Strange how it never happens to Nick "Tiger woods" politis' team, or to Melbourne "big odds bets" storm, but that's another story...

We saw this year the importance of quality depth and who knows, you might just unearth a gem. It’s smart.

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
Wow I didn’t realise he was that young. I was looking through his stats and he had some bloody good games.

You know what is even better than him being 23. His name isn’t Andrew McCullough
or jake turpin

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
TOP 30 Depth (27)
Fullback- Reece Walsh, Tesi Niu,
Wing- Corey Oates, Selwyn Cobbo, Jordan Pereira, Ethan Quai-Ward,
Centre- Kotoni Staggs, Herbie Farnworth, Jesse Arthars, Deloise Hoeter, Deine Mariner,
Five-eight- Ezra Mam,
Halfback- Adam Reynolds, Jock Madden,
Prop- Payne Haas, Thomas Flegler, Corey Jensen, Keenan Palasia,
Hooker- Cory Paix, Tyson Smoothy, Blake Mozer,
Second Row- Kurt Capewell, Jordan Riki, TC Robati, Brendan Piakura,
Lock- Patrick Carrigan, Kobe Hetherington,
Coaching- Kevin Walters, John Cartwright, Lee Briers, Matt Ballin

DEVELOPMENT AND TRAIN AND TRIAL
Fullback- Jack Ahearn (Rumoured)
Wing- Falakiko Manu (Rumoured)
Centre- Daejarn Asi (Rumoured)
Five-eight- Josh Rogers (Rumoured) Karl Oloapu
Halfback- Harradyn Wilson,
Prop- Xavier Willison, Logan Bayliss, Ben Te Kura,
Hooker- Ben Marschke (Rumoured)
Second Row-
Lock-
Coaching-

So, from what I can see there is a few positions we need to target. Madden can cover 6 and 7, but Josh Rogers or Daejarn Asi might have to come in. We are missing an experienced prop and need to target James Tamou for that spot. Hooker is still a spot we need to strengthen in first grade. Ben Hunt is the answer, but seems out of reach. Kruise Leeming, Sam Powell or Danny Levi from the Super League could do the job with Paix off the bench.

And finally, coaching.. We need a Michael Hagan, Matthew Elliot or Michael Maguire working with Walters. And then we need some young blood that will push Kevvie. Billy Slater, Marc Brentnall or Josh Hannay would be nice.

L

Lockysillegitimatechild

State of Origin Rep
Apr 10, 2015
TOP 30 Depth (27)
Centre- Kotoni Staggs, Herbie Farnworth, Jesse Arthars, Deloise Hoeter, Deine Mariner,
Five-eight- Ezra Mam,

Second Row-
Lock-
Coaching-

So, from what I can see there is a few positions we need to target. Madden can cover 6 and 7, but Josh Rogers or Daejarn Asi might have to come in. We are missing an experienced prop and need to target James Tamou for that spot. Hooker is still a spot we need to make strengthen in first grade. Ben Hunt is the answer, but seems out of reach. Kruise Leeming, Sam Powell or Danny Levi from the Super League could do the job with Paix off the bench.

And finally, coaching.. We need a Michael Hagan, Matthew Elliot or Michael Maguire working with Walters. And then we need some young blood that will push Kevvie. Billy Slater, Marc Brentnall or Josh Hannay would be nice.
Great post

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
Top 17
1 Reece Walsh
2 Corey Oates
3 Herbie Farnworth
4 Kotoni Staggs
5 Selwyn Cobbo
6 Ezra Mam
7 Adam Reynolds (C)
8 Payne Haas
9 Cory Paix
10 Corey Jensen
11 Kurt Capewell
12 Jordan Riki
13 Patrick Carrigan

14 Tyson Smoothy
15 Thomas Flegler
16 Kobe Hetherington
17 TC Robati

Reserve Grade Squad
1 Tesi Niu
2 Jordan Pereira
3 Deine Mariner
4 Deloise Hoeter
5 Ethan Quai-Ward
6 Jesse Arthars
7 Jock Madden (C)
8 Keenan Palasia
9 Blake Mozer
10 Logan Bayliss
11 TC Robati
12 Brendan Piakura
13 Xavier Willison

14 Karl Oloapu
15 Ben Te Kura
16 TBA?
17 TBA?

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
TOP 30 Depth (27)
Five-eight- Ezra Mam,

Second Row-
Lock-
Coaching-

So, from what I can see there is a few positions we need to target. Madden can cover 6 and 7, but Josh Rogers or Daejarn Asi might have to come in. We are missing an experienced prop and need to target James Tamou for that spot. Hooker is still a spot we need to make strengthen in first grade. Ben Hunt is the answer, but seems out of reach. Kruise Leeming, Sam Powell or Danny Levi from the Super League could do the job with Paix off the bench.

thought Te kura is a back rower

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
So this is the Hooker Locky was talking about. I haven’t seen too much of him is he good?

How good of a story is Smoothy? Just boggles the mind- Two ISC in two years. MOTM in the Colts GF win in 2019. Let go by Penrith 12 months ago. 18 NYC games for Brisbane.

Something about him but just looked like one of those Mick Roberts types that intrigued you but clearly NRL clubs didn't see it or care.

6 weeks on a train and trial deal at Melbourne and ends up named on the bench for round one.

I haven't budged one bit on my Smoothy opinion, he signed last week; was happy as anyone on Friday at the awards.

Has had his best ISC year this year and got rewarded. I dropped plenty of hints.

Alex Wingnut

Alex Wingnut

NYC Player
Jan 7, 2021
I haven't budged one bit on my Smoothy opinion, he signed last week; was happy as anyone on Friday at the awards.

Has had his best ISC year this year and got rewarded. I dropped plenty of hints.
I legit stumbled on that post from the Falcons on Facebook and was surprised to see no one on the forum had seen it and announced it.

But I'm really glad with happy with this signing and I assume he will try his best to take that 9 jersey as there's not much competition compared to other clubs.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Ben Hunt is the answer, but seems out of reach.

recent reports say that he and the Dragons are still 100k apart on an extension ... the Dragons have apparently offered 850k a season

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
recent reports say that he and the Dragons are still 100k apart on an extension ... the Dragons have apparently offered 850k a season
Haas can leave then. Honestly his post contact metres are already unnecessary, but if we have a hooker with good service our props will make up the extra metres anyway.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Haas can leave then. Honestly his post contact metres are already unnecessary, but if we have a hooker with good service our props will make up the extra metres anyway.

easier said than done.

my guess is that the change in his circumstances and the fact the he will unlikely find a bigger contract elsewhere ... mean's he isn't going to want to go elsewhere. and since he is contracted, we have no choice but to honour it.

besides the The will outbid us and allow Hunt to play in his preferred position should he actually come onto the market.

Bull Shark

Bull Shark

State of Origin Rep
Jun 4, 2008
Anyone else craving one of these after reading through this thread today??

39F2D5F7 7143 40A3 A967 C476E65799EB

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
easier said than done.

my guess is that the change in his circumstances and the fact the he will unlikely find a bigger contract elsewhere ... mean's he isn't going to want to go elsewhere. and since he is contracted, we have no choice but to honour it.

besides the The will outbid us and allow Hunt to play in his preferred position should he actually come onto the market.
I know, I’m just still off him. But to be fair, he doesn’t want to leave for money. He can play finals footy elsewhere.

I hate The Dolphins team already.

Active Now

• Behind enemy lines
  • Old Mate
  • Sproj
  • broncsgoat
  • Mustafur
  • GCBRONCO
  • Harry Sack
  • Bucking Beads
  • Bish
  • Justwin
  • Foordy
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • PNG Broncos fan88
  • broncoscope
  • Alec
  • Mr Fourex
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.