Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2023

I haven't seen enough of Smoothy to know whether he is a good signing or not.

I will say that the recruitment team have targeted the position we need strengthening the most.

I will also say the strategy we used to target Smoothy is a good one. let's face it, there will be 17 teams in the NRL next year, and only a 3rd of them will have a quality proven NRL hooker. so targeting the best hooker in the next level down, who's been in a excellent NRL system for a couple of years at least (even though he didn't get much of a run due to Melbourne's hooking stocks) is the way to go.

time will tell, but I doubt he cost us too much, so there was nothing to lose,

EDIT: he is already being compared to Harry Grant, lol, by the Falcons Chairman

“There is a bit of Harry Grant in him,” Falcons chairman Ashley Robinson told The Courier Mail.

“He’s got some footy in him and a good footy brain. He also has a kicking game and I think he will blossom if he gets a run at the Broncos.”

EDIT 2: I think we cloned Smoothy, lol. this from Fox Sports:

Smoothy will compete for the No. 9 jersey with Billy Walters, Cory Paix, Tyson Smoothy and Blake Mozer.

He's a good addition to the side. He had a pretty good year in the ISC and has some good qualities in his game that should benefit us.

However, being a good reserve grade hooker doesn't mean you'll be a good NRL hooker. It's a whole different ball game when you make the step up to first grade. Whether he can make that transition, it's not a certainty, but if given the chance I don't think he will disappoint.

He's not going to compare to the top hookers at other clubs, but I think he'll hold his own.

....and quite conversely (as your partner in crime below you chimes in)

You two blokes are the only guys constantly pulling your **** over Paix.

If he was even half as good as you guys make out....he would've got more game time in the NRL

(not withstanding his injury....... 🙄 )
Sometimes I wonder based on peoples comments on here if they even watch the broncos play. Because if you did you would have seen numerous games where Walters was starting at 9 and we looked flat and we’re losing or drawing. Than Paix would come on we would look more fluent and end up blitzing a few tries on. He’s got a great pass and great understanding when Reynolds wanted the ball in attacking situations where was Turpin and Walters left Reynolds with his hands up in the air and screaming for the ball so many times this season.

Sometimes I wonder based on peoples comments on here if they even watch the broncos play. Because if you did you would have seen numerous games where Walters was starting at 9 and we looked flat and we’re losing or drawing. Than Paix would come on we would look more fluent and end up blitzing a few tries on. He’s got a great pass and great understanding when Reynolds wanted the ball in attacking situations where was Turpin and Walters left Reynolds with his hands up in the air and screaming for the ball so many times this season.
Glad someone else notices how Walters is always terrible at getting Reynolds the ball when he wants it

There was comment on Sky that RTS is looking to return to NRL next season. Surprise surprise has been linked with roosters.

I don’t care that we just signed Walsh, I would give my left nut to get Rog at the club.

I don’t believe you. This has been a good moment of clarity for me. It’s like when Big Del jumped the shark with Tesi Niu and his opinion on the matter stopped mattering. You’ve just shown to me that you care more about arguing than trying to be objective or entirely honest. Now I know I don’t have to bother with your views.

Hang about ,,,

You guys were all on the cool hand Tamiare Martin train . And look how that went .

Didn`t catch bombs , missed tackles , defensive line in disarray ,no metres in attack , bad passes and record score lines .
Big improvement .

Fonzie Jumping GIF - Fonzie Jumping Happy Days GIFs

There was comment on Sky that RTS is looking to return to NRL next season. Surprise surprise has been linked with roosters.

I don’t care that we just signed Walsh, I would give my left nut to get Rog at the club.
I would have thought back to the warriors would be the perfect fit.

EDIT 2: I think we cloned Smoothy, lol. this from Fox Sports:

Smoothy will compete for the No. 9 jersey with Billy Walters, Cory Paix, Tyson Smoothy and Blake Mozer.

This is actually really good for us, we could have Smoothy start games and then bring Smoothy on to exploit the opponent's tired forwards. Either way I'm excited to see what he (they?) can do!

100% agree with the signing of Smoothy, was the clear standout in Qcup for 9s and it wasn't likely possible to get a 1st grade 9 that would be a clear improvement(all the good ones would be out of reach), I think Smoothy will establish himself pretty early on to be our 9 in tandem with Paix.

Should we be expecting to see Mozer in first grade in 2023 or is 2024 more realistic?

Should we be expecting to see Mozer in first grade in 2023 or is 2024 more realistic?
Good question....all the talk about Smoothy & Paix, I thought Mozer would be ahead in the pecking order than Smoothy at least?

I have always said 24 if it is going to happen. I always thought that would give him 30-40 ISC games from May 22 to September 23 which is a good number if you're going well.

This season I was hoping for 10-15 games once MM was done with- He played the full season of eight MM games and one Colts games but only got three ISC games in off the bench for a total of one and half games in minutes and then did his shoulder in the Colts game against Norths and has been operated on.

So I would say he's behind in games and development at the moment. But that could change depending on his shoulder.

He also had to play in a truly terrible side, where in his three games he didn't get to attack much but defended the whole time-65 tackles in three games off the bench and six missed- so physically I thought he handled the load in the middle but he wasn't out there while guys were fresh.

That's his big challenge next year, start and defend when players are at their best and not let that load impact his attack.

Next year he knows he is not playing MM and has Hunt so he can get his shoulder right with some certainty with what his year is going to look like and not play in three comps.

I have always said 24 if it is going to happen. I always thought that would give him 30-40 ISC games from May 22 to September 23 which is a good number if you're going well.

This season I was hoping for 10-15 games once MM was done with- He played the full season of eight MM games and one Colts games but only got three ISC games in off the bench for a total of one and half games in minutes and then did his shoulder in the Colts game against Norths and has been operated on.

So I would say he's behind in games and development at the moment. But that could change depending on his shoulder.

He also had to play in a truly terrible side, where in his three games he didn't get to attack much but defended the whole time-65 tackles in three games off the bench and six missed- so physically I thought he handled the load in the middle but he wasn't out there while guys were fresh.

That's his big challenge next year, start and defend when players are at their best and not let that load impact his attack.

Next year he knows he is not playing MM and has Hunt so he can get his shoulder right with some certainty with what his year is going to look like.
Mate, what a detailed response. Appreciate it.

The Smoothy signing is exactly how it should work. The standout Q Cup players should get contracts with the QLD NRL clubs. They’ve been playing with grownups and look good enough instead of dominating kids and going straight to the Warriors or some other club that ruins players.

The Smoothy signing is exactly how it should work. The standout Q Cup players should get contracts with the QLD NRL clubs. They’ve been playing with grownups and look good enough instead of dominating kids and going straight to the Warriors or some other club that ruins players.

What you are saying is exactly why we stuffed up under Seibold, too many young players with no development behind them. We have an element of fans who also just want to throw in any promising young player we get into the team. A good team can carry one or two, but you cant carry 5 or 6.

Active Now

• Pablo
  • bert_lifts
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Hurrijo
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Midean
  • Stix
  • Painin the Haas
  • Fitzy
  • Foordy
  • mitch222
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.