Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2023

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
apart from those beautiful passes to put Oates away in the corner ... One thing that Boyd did really well, IMO, is organise the defence. and I think that's one of Walsh's weaknesses, so if Boyd can instil that in Walsh, we'll be laughing

It's cleared you've never seen Reece Walsh play if you think he has a substandard passing game.

tommy

tommy

International Rep
Jun 5, 2015
Boyd should have been paid out and told to **** off and not come back to our club after his last few years of diving out of the way of attacking players. disgraceful we decided to employ him imo, he should be paying us. Oh no that’s right he was trying too hard.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
apart from those beautiful passes to put Oates away in the corner ... One thing that Boyd did really well, IMO, is organise the defence. and I think that's one of Walsh's weaknesses, so if Boyd can instil that in Walsh, we'll be laughing
I wouldn’t call it a weakness. Walsh is actually very good at organising defence by 19 year old fullback standards, he’s a very good communicator. Maybe the best of that age group. His biggest weakness imo is his inability to tackle one on one - he gets steam rolled or bounces off every time. His other weakness is overplaying his hand and going for the flashy play over the required play - this is actually an area Boyd was great at.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
it's clear you either can't read or are trying to start something again

because i said organising the defence is one of Walsh's weaknesses
Only according to you, who obviously has never seen him play.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
I wouldn’t call it a weakness. Walsh is actually very good at organising defence by 19 year old fullback standards, he’s a very good communicator. Maybe the best of that age group. His biggest weakness imo is his inability to tackle one on one - he gets steam rolled or bounces off every time. His other weakness is overplaying his hand and going for the flashy play over the required play - this is actually an area Boyd was great at.

Which is why getting out 9 right is so important. Both Walsh and Mam tend to go for the glory play and Reynolds is targeted relentlessly by the opposition because he is the only mature head out there in the spine. I really hope Smoothy hits the ground running here but while he has experience at Q Cup, he also is a rookie at NRL level. I reckon this is why Kevvie keeps going back to Walters (and Turpin this year), he's trying to balance the age / experience level of the spine, albeit with mediocre players.

Walsh is coming into his third season of first grade now though effectively, so hopefully he is starting to get into his stride.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
I still can't believe the gender reveal is even an issue .

BroncosFever

BroncosFever

State of Origin Rep
Jun 6, 2014

Here at BHQ, we don't want players developing, they have to come in and hit their straps like seasoned pros or they get shafted like Tesi Niu did.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Which is why getting out 9 right is so important. Both Walsh and Mam tend to go for the glory play and Reynolds is targeted relentlessly by the opposition because he is the only mature head out there in the spine. I really hope Smoothy hits the ground running here but while he has experience at Q Cup, he also is a rookie at NRL level. I reckon this is why Kevvie keeps going back to Walters (and Turpin this year), he's trying to balance the age / experience level of the spine, albeit with mediocre players.

Walsh is coming into his third season of first grade now though effectively, so hopefully he is starting to get into his stride.
Yep, this is what I've been banging on about.

I think we need two above average hookers: one at 9, the other at 14.

I would like a "thinking hooker" at 9, one with a decent kicking game (including 40/20's) who can take the pressure off Reynolds or who can assume tactical duties when he isn't on the field. Ideally this would be a senior player, perhaps towards the end of his career or maybe an exceptional junior, like we're hoping Mozer will be. This is the only role I can find for Billy, but in my opinion he's not up to it.

The other would be a "go forward hooker" at 14. Someone who exploits tired forwards, someone unpredictable. A more selfish player like Segerayo, Granville or Levi would even be acceptable here. Like I've said many times - to much ridicule - I could see someone like Tesi filling that role. Billy doesn't offer anything new off the bench unless the starting 9 is really poor, like Turpin became.

An alternative to a "thinking hooker" would be a "go forward" hooker. Someone who keeps the momentum rolling. From what I've seen of Smoothy, I think he could fill that role.

The way I see it, if Smoothy doesn't take 9, we are shortchanged there. And we don't have anyone who stands out as a 14, unless we turn someone into one.

I don't see either of Walters or Paix fitting any of those descriptions. For mine, Paix is depth, good depth. Walters is behind Paix, or surplus.

The conversation around hookers of late seems to be more about defence. I'd like to see us emerge from that.

BroncosFever

BroncosFever

State of Origin Rep
Jun 6, 2014
Like I've said many times - to much ridicule - I could see someone like Tesi filling that role.

You get ridiculed because it's a ridiculous idea.

Hooker is more about scooting out of dummy half, you've got to be able to make tackles effectively against bigger people than you. That's the non-negotiable of playing the position. It's why Turpin was getting a start for so long (despite being bog average with his attacking prowess). He is a good tackler, at least.

You can't just throw any bloke who can run in the position.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
You get ridiculed because it's a ridiculous idea.

Hooker is more about scooting out of dummy half, you've got to be able to make tackles effectively against bigger people than you. That's the non-negotiable of playing the position. It's why Turpin was getting a start for so long (despite being bog average with his attacking prowess). He is a good tackler, at least.

You can't just throw any bloke who can run in the position.
Bringing Billy fucking Walters' sluggish arse off the bench is a ridiculous idea. Better that before pissing on my suggestion.

BroncosFever

BroncosFever

State of Origin Rep
Jun 6, 2014
Bringing Billy fucking Walters' sluggish arse off the bench is a ridiculous idea. Better that before pissing on my suggestion.

He can play multiple roles, adequately.

More adequately than anyone else we have in our squad, that's why he gets the utility role.

E

Evander

NYC Player
Apr 6, 2021
Firstly, he's not the sort of outstanding role model I'd prefer to have coaching young players. I'm more than convinced you understand why as to the second line of my post and have for some reason decided to act obtuse.
Shush

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
Here at BHQ, we don't want players developing, they have to come in and hit their straps like seasoned pros or they get shafted like Tesi Niu did.
Tesi is a bad example because he is just actually not cut out at fullback. He’s never showed any promise there outside an enthusiastic running game. He was no good in Q Cup, was no good in NRL, no good again in cup, had 1 good game in NRL then was no good again, went back to cup where he was no good, and then was recently by far the worst player for Tonga against France. The kid does not have it.

He is a less skilful, short version of Isaako

Unread

Active Now

• Jedhead
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.