Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2023

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Money talks.

Especially when these guys generally have big families and generally have the mindset of taking care of them. So the more money they have, the more they can.

Jedhead

Jedhead

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jan 8, 2018
He's literally worked with players on their mental health since before he retired. He pays players visits at home and makes sure they're doing well mentally. He's one of the most respected players the club has ever had, because of this and the fact he was a great footy player in his prime. You simply have no idea.
I have to disagree about the respect bit. From the moment he stood trying to stare that TV reporter down like some petulant child I’ve never had any respect for him.

His baby reveal was the ultimate **** you Broncos and could not have been any less ill thought and poorly timed. As I said I have no wish to rake over old ground, but saying I have no idea is a bit of a stretch.

pennywisealfie

pennywisealfie

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Great to hear. Of course things can change down the track. But it's nice to hear his heart is with the club right now. Also nice to see the media saying "hands off" rather than somehow spinning this into Melbourne being keen on him or something.

Swordfish

Swordfish

QCup Player
Aug 24, 2022
The Storm cheats might blabber as loud as they can, but by locking up their 1,6,7 & 9 to long term deals won’t they be under cap pressure? Sure, they’ve 4 of 13 starting players leaving but they’ve to replace them which also includes some cap space if not a whole lot, are the cheat’s cooking another set of books I wonder? 🤔
Irrespective of that, I don’t see them being one of those ‘many clubs’ who might chase Ezra.
But, I can’t say the same about Rotters with their never ending cap every year especially, if they tap on Keary.

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
I have to disagree about the respect bit. From the moment he stood trying to stare that TV reporter down like some petulant child I’ve never had any respect for him.

His baby reveal was the ultimate **** you Broncos and could not have been any less ill thought and poorly timed. As I said I have no wish to rake over old ground, but saying I have no idea is a bit of a stretch.
Oh sorry, I meant respected by people who matter. You know, people actually involved with the club.

The baby reveal was dumb, but I can understand trying to turn that night into a positive for the players on the field who were all ok with it and celebrated with him.

fucking insane that some dude on the internet can’t forgive him but his actual wife can. lol

Jedhead

Jedhead

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jan 8, 2018
Oh sorry, I meant respected by people who matter. You know, people actually involved with the club.

The baby reveal was dumb, but I can understand trying to turn that night into a positive for the players on the field who were all ok with it and celebrated with him.

fucking insane that some dude on the internet can’t forgive him but his actual wife can. lol
" I meant respected by people who matter" interesting term of phrase. So being a full-time member of the club for 20 odd years might suggest otherwise that I was "involved" with the club. Having a point of view on a fan forum alternative to your own seems to bring out the indignent aggressor in you , it really does. Evidently, according to your wisdom - paying members and their views mean zilch then? A cold and very inclusive attitude indeed.

In all honesty your whole rant has dissolved into ad hominem and achieves nothing. I have no wish to get into a slanging match with you, but I still stand by my initial comments. If that takes you to the realms of "insane" I think you need to get out a bit more.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
I don't wish to go over ground that has been raked and raked, but what he did to his wife and then to hide behind mental weakness does not make an ideal candidate to mentor young impressionable kids.

My apologies if the obtuse comment stung you. It was not aimed at your persona it was more pointing out what I thought was fairly a fairly obvious reason.
As he was the first and only guy to cheat on his wife I completely get this stance.

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
" I meant respected by people who matter" interesting term of phrase. So being a full-time member of the club for 20 odd years might suggest otherwise that I was "involved" with the club. Having a point of view on a fan forum alternative to your own seems to bring out the indignent aggressor in you , it really does. Evidently, according to your wisdom - paying members and their views mean zilch then? A cold and very inclusive attitude indeed.

In all honesty your whole rant has dissolved into ad hominem and achieves nothing. I have no wish to get into a slanging match with you, but I still stand by my initial comments. If that takes you to the realms of "insane" I think you need to get out a bit more.
Us members matter very little on our own, the sooner you realize this the sooner you'll realize how little your opinion matters when it comes to how respected a player is by those who actually matter.

Speaking of which, the baby reveal wasn't for us. The fans should have gone home, the cameras should have been switched off and at the end of the day, these blokes are human. The captain did something positive after their lowest night and the players (you know, the blokes who were there with him) actually celebrated with him. And if you read the articles you can see why the media blew it up in the first place. In his last week as a player he barely spoke to the media and they were pissed about it. Is this the image of a man who isn't respected?

No aggression here, just find it hilarious that he's still copping it for an interview where his coach had told them to not say much and later apologized because the players took him too literally. Justin Poore did the same thing the week prior but gets no criticism for some reason. Boyd also felt burned by the media and chose to respond negatively. Something he regrets to this day.

Regarding the cheating stuff. The fact that you're more offended 8 years later than his own wife is honestly insane. She's moved on, he's moved on and actually made an effort to fix his mental well-being and improve himself as a person. People grow up, mate. They change. Very rarely should you judge someone based on what they do as a 20-something year old, especially when what they did isn't even illegal. Likewise, some missed tackles at the back end of his career shouldn't make the man either.

This article came out a few years ago and I reckon it's a pretty good read if you want to understand his thoughts and see that "growing up" occur.

There was no insult to you, saying you don't matter as one opinion to the club or the staff who are hiring him is not an insult. Saying it's insane that you care more is not calling you insane either. You can play offended and act like I am insulting you if you want, but it's not the case. I don't even know who you are.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
As he was the first and only guy to cheat on his wife I completely get this stance.
I think the point @Jedhead is raising isn't about infidelity, or even him getting away with thinking with his little head and blaming his big head - whatever - it's that he's gone a step further and milked it into a job. There's a certain element of farce in there. Your mileage might vary on that.

As I said earlier, none of us are in a position to judge whether he's worth paying as a "mental health" mentor but we're all in a position to remember what a lazy **** of a player and useless captain he was in his last couple of seasons.

I'm only making this up, but I suspected the club did some kind of deal with him to get him to retire early in the form of a coaching/mental health gig to get his payment off the cap. But that theory doesn't explain why he's now coaching our backs.

For what it's worth Te Maire, Tesi and Selwyn said positive things about him working with them at fullback. Your mileage might also vary on how that worked out.

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
I think the point @Jedhead is raising isn't about infidelity, or even him getting away with thinking with his little head and blaming his big head - whatever - it's that he's gone a step further and milked it into a job. There's a certain element of farce in there.

As I said earlier, none of us are in a position to judge whether he's worth paying as a "mental health" mentor but we're all in a position to remember what a lazy **** of a player and useless captain he was in his last couple of seasons.
Most great coaches aren’t even very good at the sport they coach, so his body slowing down in the latter end of his career says absolutely nothing about his ability to coach.

But I imagine you’re still scorned from when he didn’t want to talk to the media.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Most great coaches aren’t even very good at the sport they coach, so his body slowing down in the latter end of his career says absolutely nothing about his ability to coach.

But I imagine you’re still scorned from when he didn’t want to talk to the media.
You're really clutching at straws trying to defend this useless ****. His leadership was the worst in the club's history. Almost ever other player from his era - that sent us to a wooden spoon - has been kicked to the curb.

Active Now

• TonyTheJugoslav
  • Bucking Beads
  • broncos4life
  • Wolfie
  • Jazza
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Galah
  • winslow_wong
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.