Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2023

How good someone was as a player doesn't always correlate with how good they'll be as a personal coach...and if it was, at the very least Boyd could help Walsh keep sharpening his ball playing game and the positioning, which Boyd was also good at, even if he didn't attempt to tackle once he got there at the end of his career.

How good someone was as a player doesn't always correlate with how good they'll be as a personal coach...and if it was, at the very least Boyd could help Walsh keep sharpening his ball playing game and the positioning, which Boyd was also good at, even if he didn't attempt to tackle once he got there at the end of his career.

His positioning on the try line wasn't very good. He often watched tries get scored right in front of him.

You're really clutching at straws trying to defend this useless ****. His leadership was the worst in the club's history. Almost ever other player from his era - that sent us to a wooden spoon - has been kicked to the curb.
Yeah I'm still upset that we got rid of Pat Carrigan, Herbie Farnworth, Tom Flegler, Payne Haas and Corey Oates.

I also forgot that when Bennett left he handed Boyd the reigns and said sign whoever you want, no matter how shit they might be. It's definitely his fault that Milford enjoys McDonalds, Bullemor was offered a dumb contract, Coates took less, Dearden went to his childhood hero, Fifita was offered overs, Glenn retired, Gamble was average, Jamil Hopoate is a Hopoate, Isaako is Huge's favourite, Kahu did his ACL 72 times, Kennar was a Seibold signing, Ofahengaue couldn't count to 3, TPJ hangs out with criminals and your boy Jake just flat out sucks. I forgot that Seibold was allowing Boyd to select the team every week.

While we are at it, should we blame Darren Lockyer for Steve Michaels? Andrew Johns for Chris Mandalidis? **** Brad Fittler for Darren Maroon, right?

His positioning on the try line wasn't very good. He often watched tries get scored right in front of him.
That's not true. At the back end of his career his positioning on the line was off because the game plan was to have 13 players defending on the line. That's a coaching error.

Yeah I'm still upset that we got rid of Pat Carrigan, Herbie Farnworth, Tom Flegler, Payne Haas and Corey Oates.

I also forgot that when Bennett left he handed Boyd the reigns and said sign whoever you want, no matter how shit they might be. It's definitely his fault that Milford enjoys McDonalds, Bullemor was offered a dumb contract, Coates took less, Dearden went to his childhood hero, Fifita was offered overs, Glenn retired, Gamble was average, Jamil Hopoate is a Hopoate, Isaako is Huge's favourite, Kahu did his ACL 72 times, Kennar was a Seibold signing, Ofahengaue couldn't count to 3, TPJ hangs out with criminals and your boy Jake just flat out sucks. I forgot that Seibold was allowing Boyd to select the team every week.

While we are at it, should we blame Darren Lockyer for Steve Michaels? Andrew Johns for Chris Mandalidis? **** Brad Fittler for Darren Maroon, right?
Woah woah woah....Steve Michaels wasn't that bad.

That's not true. At the back end of his career his positioning on the line was off because the game plan was to have 13 players defending on the line. That's a coaching error.

It is true. He was always watching tries get scored and watching other blokes attempt to stop them. When he could be arsed to try and stop them he was ineffective.

Anyway I don't want to get stuck in an endless back and forth with the forum's Boyd apologist. I hope whatever positive qualities he has to offer are taken onboard by the backs.

Us members matter very little on our own, the sooner you realize this the sooner you'll realize how little your opinion matters when it comes to how respected a player is by those who actually matter.

Speaking of which, the baby reveal wasn't for us. The fans should have gone home, the cameras should have been switched off and at the end of the day, these blokes are human. The captain did something positive after their lowest night and the players (you know, the blokes who were there with him) actually celebrated with him. And if you read the articles you can see why the media blew it up in the first place. In his last week as a player he barely spoke to the media and they were pissed about it. Is this the image of a man who isn't respected?

View attachment 20069

No aggression here, just find it hilarious that he's still copping it for an interview where his coach had told them to not say much and later apologized because the players took him too literally. Justin Poore did the same thing the week prior but gets no criticism for some reason. Boyd also felt burned by the media and chose to respond negatively. Something he regrets to this day.

Regarding the cheating stuff. The fact that you're more offended 8 years later than his own wife is honestly insane. She's moved on, he's moved on and actually made an effort to fix his mental well-being and improve himself as a person. People grow up, mate. They change. Very rarely should you judge someone based on what they do as a 20-something year old, especially when what they did isn't even illegal. Likewise, some missed tackles at the back end of his career shouldn't make the man either.

This article came out a few years ago and I reckon it's a pretty good read if you want to understand his thoughts and see that "growing up" occur.

There was no insult to you, saying you don't matter as one opinion to the club or the staff who are hiring him is not an insult. Saying it's insane that you care more is not calling you insane either. You can play offended and act like I am insulting you if you want, but it's not the case. I don't even know who you are.
Mate the reveal was right after the game so your argument about the fans should have gone home by then and the cameras should have stopped rolling is really stretching the bounds of fantasy. They hadn't even went into the sheds yet to change for goodness sake.

I never once said that I was "offended" by Boyd's infidelity for the record i said his selection did not sit well with me. But hey thanks for setting me straight and pointing out my opinion (on a fan forum) does not matter. I never once suggested my opinion would matter to the club, but yeh you interpret it as you see fit.

I still stand by what I said and I'll add the way he has conducted himself during his time as a player for us made him (in my opinion (which I now know doesn't count)) the most detestable player to represent our club.

I know your opinion might differ and you're welcome to it.

I don't think there's any doubt Darius Boyd's last couple of years at the club were not only the worst of his career but probably the darkest years to be a Brisbane fan, the gender reveal for me was the lowest point in the club's history.

However, the decade or so prior to that he proved himself to be one of the elite fullbacks in the NRL and that's probably what he is coaching into players, what got him to be that player.

Mate the reveal was right after the game so your argument about the fans should have gone home by then and the cameras should have stopped rolling is really stretching the bounds of fantasy. They hadn't even went into the sheds yet to change for goodness sake.

I never once said that I was "offended" by Boyd's infidelity for the record i said his selection did not sit well with me. But hey thanks for setting me straight and pointing out my opinion (on a fan forum) does not matter. I never once suggested my opinion would matter to the club, but yeh you interpret it as you see fit.

I still stand by what I said and I'll add they way he has conducted himself during his time as a player for us made him (in my opinion (which know now doesn't count)) the most detestable player to represent our club.

I know your opinion might differ and you're welcome to it.
Look at the crowd in that picture. Most people had left at that point. A few people staying doesn't prove your point. As a member for so long you'd know most fans are gone by that point.

The most detestable player to represent our club? Jamil Hopoate, Ben Barba and Matt Lodge exist

For all his faults, at his peak he was a pretty impressive defensive fullback. He was a really smart player in regards to conserving energy and inserting himself at the right time, in both attack and defence - until he wasn’t, at which point he was horrific.

Boyd’s biggest issue seemed to be attitude/motivation and health rather than knowledge. Could go either way as coach.

I hope Slater gets heavily involved with Walsh as the QLD coach though. Slater could turn Walsh into a gun.

Boyd is always going to be a divisive figure for Broncos fans. Personally, I lost all respect for him, Karmichael Hunt, and Sam Thaiday in 2008 (and Wayne Bennett as well, actually), and have never really reconciled that since.

I can appreciate the positive contributions he has made to the club, and I understand that he has gone through a lot since then and has no doubt grown as a person, and I can see why people would now support or respect him. That's fine, nothing stopping those people from doing that. It might be seen as petty, but I'll just never be one of them.

For all his faults, at his peak he was a pretty impressive defensive fullback. He was a really smart player in regards to conserving energy and inserting himself at the right time, in both attack and defence - until he wasn’t, at which point he was horrific.

Boyd’s biggest issue seemed to be attitude/motivation and health rather than knowledge. Could go either way as coach.

I hope Slater gets heavily involved with Walsh as the QLD coach though. Slater could turn Walsh into a gun.

He was a master at conserving energy in his last few years.

I disagree about his positioning really. He organized the defence fairly well but like I said, the amount of times he was left just watching tries happen was disappointing. It was like he was on his way to get there but didn't hustle enough.

McLean has re-signed with the Cows for '23. Not that we were after him but some posters mentioned him.

McLean has re-signed with the Cows for '23. Not that we were after him but some posters mentioned him.
I had mentioned him a potential Haas downgrade but with Haas seemingly staying McLean isn’t required. As said above though, hopefully this means they back off their Fleg plans

apart from those beautiful passes to put Oates away in the corner ... One thing that Boyd did really well, IMO, is organise the defence. and I think that's one of Walsh's weaknesses, so if Boyd can instil that in Walsh, we'll be laughing

Active Now

• Harry Sack
  • Manlyman
  • Jazza
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Robboi_321
  • Cavalo
  • winslow_wong
  • Lostboy
  • Thelmus
  • broncs30
  • Morkel
  • theshed
  • broncsgoat
  • Dash
  • FACTHUNT
  • Sproj
  • Bucking Beads
  • barker
  • Mr Fourex
  • ivanhungryjak
... and 13 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.