Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2023

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
just out of interest how do our train-and-trial deals get handed out (in particular from our QLD Cup affiliates).

is it Wynnum's decision as part of the affiliate agreement ... or does Ikin/KW tell Wynnum who (if any) they want for train and trials

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
just out of interest how do our train-and-trial deals get handed out (in particular from our QLD Cup affiliates).

is it Wynnum's decision as part of the affiliate agreement ... or does Ikin/KW tell Wynnum who (if any) they want for train and trials
As far as I know, both parties reach an agreement.

The NRL club will sign a player if they feel strongly about them. Otherwise, they'll go through the roster and select two players that mutually benefit both clubs.

Typically it's an Under 23 type prospect or QRL marquee signing.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Channel 9 reporting tonight that darbs will have an increased coaching role with the backs next year …

not a bad idea ... especially with Reece Walsh. His body may have let him down for the last couple of years, but in his prime he was one of the best fullbacks in the game.

TMM credited Boyd for getting him ready to play fullback early this year

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
Kalolo Saitaua claimed the top Men’s award, being named the Hostplus Cup Player of the Year.

Saitaua had a fantastic 2022 season with the Gulls, scoring 8 tries, breaking countless tackles, and running for over 2000m in 19 games, generally starting from the bench.

He has also earnt a train-and-trial deal with the Brisbane Broncos for their upcoming preseason.

Dude had a really strong year, busts crazy amounts of tackles and has matured since his last NRL stint, good pick up imo. Can play 9, 13, 14.

He's certainly not a hooker, didn't play there at all for Wynnum. He exploded this year and to win your club's player of the year off the bench is extraordinary. Missed the whole of last season due to injury and to find a home on the bench running havoc was great coaching by Wynnum.

I thought he would struggle when they started him the last two rounds but he delt with the position again.

Even if nothing comes of it, he will physically hurt some Broncos at training running the ball.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
not a bad idea ... especially with Reece Walsh. His body may have let him down for the last couple of years, but in his prime he was one of the best fullbacks in the game.

TMM credited Boyd for getting him ready to play fullback early this year
Yeah he needs to teach Walsh how to tackle. His positioning is quite good for a young fella, always gets to or hear where he needs to be but just gets bumped off or run over.

Needs to spend to off season practicing 1 on 1 tackles

Jedhead

Jedhead

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jan 8, 2018
Firstly, he's not the sort of outstanding role model I'd prefer to have coaching young players. I'm more than convinced you understand why as to the second line of my post and have for some reason decided to act obtuse.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Firstly, he's not the sort of outstanding role model I'd prefer to have coaching young players. I'm more than convinced you understand why as to the second line of my post and have for some reason decided to act obtuse.

not being obtuse (that was uncalled for) ... genuinely wanted to know your reasons.

because I think that some people are letting Boy's form from the last 18 months dictate their opinion on his worth as a mentor to our young squad.

IMO Boyd is an excellent role model for our kids. He had his issues but got help and got his life back together.

as for the footballing side, for most of his career he was one of the best fullbacks in the game (would have played much more rep footy in the position if he wasn't competing against one of the best ever) ... he was an excellent winger.

TMM gave him credit earlier this year for helping him prepare to play fullback (and to a good standard, at least pre-injury).

as for your second line, I think he hasn't attempted to join Bennett at The because he genuinely loves this club. He never wanted to leave in the first place and when he finally got the opportunity to come back, it was like he was coming home (remember he didn't follow Bennett to Souths)

Swordfish

Swordfish

QCup Player
Aug 24, 2022
With walsh at FB, I think herbie's hit ups/yardage will be important. Staggs does not do too much of this.

A back 5 of:
1. Walsh
2. Oates
3. Cobbo (left centre-has a left hand carry so will work best on the left and when he played centre in the lower grades it was on the left)
4. Herbie (right centre, I think it has been said he preferred the right)
5. Mariner (I know he plays centre, but introducing him to first grade on the wing may be the best option).

I think that would be a good combination of early yardage and finishing ability.
I like these backs but given Oates & Cobbo would be a new combination on the left, I am not that confident them 2 being together next year would not leak many points. Also, Cobbo being relatively still young, can he handle the grind of a NRL center every week?

Jedhead

Jedhead

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jan 8, 2018
not being obtuse (that was uncalled for) ... genuinely wanted to know your reasons.

because I think that some people are letting Boy's form from the last 18 months dictate their opinion on his worth as a mentor to our young squad.

IMO Boyd is an excellent role model for our kids. He had his issues but got help and got his life back together.

as for the footballing side, for most of his career he was one of the best fullbacks in the game (would have played much more rep footy in the position if he wasn't competing against one of the best ever) ... he was an excellent winger.

TMM gave him credit earlier this year for helping him prepare to play fullback (and to a good standard, at least pre-injury).

as for your second line, I think he hasn't attempted to join Bennett at The because he genuinely loves this club. He never wanted to leave in the first place and when he finally got the opportunity to come back, it was like he was coming home (remember he didn't follow Bennett to Souths)
I don't wish to go over ground that has been raked and raked, but what he did to his wife and then to hide behind mental weakness does not make an ideal candidate to mentor young impressionable kids.

My apologies if the obtuse comment stung you. It was not aimed at your persona it was more pointing out what I thought was fairly a fairly obvious reason.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
I don't wish to go over ground that has been raked and raked, but what he did to his wife and then to hide behind mental weakness does not make an ideal candidate to mentor young impressionable kids.

My apologies if the obtuse comment stung you. It was not aimed at your persona it was more pointing out what I thought was fairly a fairly obvious reason.
Tbf there is a lot about Darius people just don't know about but I don't disagree that at one time he was an absolute grub.

I think in terms of a bloke doing the wrong thing, stuffing up then turning it all around to become a pretty decent person Darius is a good role model. He can show the the good and bad in a lot he has done and that will hopefully stop somebody else making the same mistakes.

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013

He's literally worked with players on their mental health since before he retired. He pays players visits at home and makes sure they're doing well mentally. He's one of the most respected players the club has ever had, because of this and the fact he was a great footy player in his prime. You simply have no idea.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Tbf there is a lot about Darius people just don't know about but I don't disagree that at one time he was an absolute grub.

I think in terms of a bloke doing the wrong thing, stuffing up then turning it all around to become a pretty decent person Darius is a good role model. He can show the the good and bad in a lot he has done and that will hopefully stop somebody else making the same mistakes.
Maybe it's best we compartmentalize the "mental health" aspect of his role at the club - some of us take him at face value, while others remain skeptical, and it won't lead anywhere useful - and focus on his role in coaching our backs. Whether he's tapped into a gravy train on this, whatever. None of us here can know whether he's earning his pay on that. Let the club be the judge there.

His tenure at the club post-Bennett was nothing short of a disgrace to the jersey in every regard. His effort was not just questionable but roundly ridiculed by the entire competition, ultimately meming its way to his own sub-reddit. Let's not forget he was such an appalling leader he was sacked as captain and had to be shifted around to hide his deficiencies. All the while he played it all down, insisting his only problem was "trying too hard." Then he roped some younger players into a fad TV diet, which lasted about as long as such fad diets normally last.

But most of all, it was the sheer lack of direction in our spine during his tenure. We literally had players bumping into each other in the field not knowing what to do with ball in hand. It might not be fair to blame this entirely on him, but he was there and he's remained there ever since. What the **** has he done to earn himself a coaching role?

No, just plain fucking no.

Active Now

• Brocko
  • broncos4life
  • Aldo
  • Fozz
  • Bucking Beads
  • I bleed Maroon
  • winslow_wong
  • LittleDavey
  • Bish
  • Allo
  • Swordfish
  • mieko
  • MrMoore
  • Justwin
  • Harry Sack
  • sooticus
  • Manlyman
  • Alec
  • Behind enemy lines
... and 11 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.