Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2023

Smoothy hooker of the year. Give him a go!

hasn't he still got a Melbourne contract?

if not, could he be the new hooker signing that Locky implied recently?

Can someone explain the madden signing? He’ll be stuck behind Reynolds and surely we won’t be playing him over mam.

I actually think there’s a bit to like about him, I’m just not sure where he fits. Outside of depth which is always nice.

Can someone explain the madden signing? He’ll be stuck behind Reynolds and surely we won’t be playing him over mam.

I actually think there’s a bit to like about him, I’m just not sure where he fits. Outside of depth which is always nice.

we obviously signed him to shore up our halves depth. and a possible succession plan for ARey.

from Madden's POV, his manager has explained it (see the post below)

He and Kevvie have the same manager.

Mam knows he is never going to be at serious risk of losing his spot long term to Gamble or Walters but he has another talented young half who may not have the natural flair he does but could definitely jump him in the pecking order if he slacks off.

To me that’s a decent reason. I just hope Kev doesn’t start the whole process of shuffling spine players endlessly again. He needs to pick the spine week 1 and say it’s your to lose. Do everything right at training and follow the game plan and I’ll back you through errors and poor games

I think he might push Mam a fair bit tbh.
I agree. And I’d actually be ok if he leapfrogged Mam tbh. I love Mam long-term, but playing a bit more QCup wouldn’t hurt him.

And, more importantly, I think Madden would actually take way more pressure off Reynolds. Playing two halfbacks worked for NQ this season.

I think he might push Mam a fair bit tbh.

I saw someone in the comment section of the CM say this is a bad thing. that Walters needs to back Mam (which is what a good coach does (like Payten did with Dearden))

he says all this signing does is put ridiculous pressure on both these young halves.

lol

Madden is a smart signing because Reynolds is in the twilight of his career and can't be expected to play a full-season. The Broncos can't rely on players who are new to the NRL system, Madden is at just the right point of his career to step in and develop his game.

I saw someone in the comment section of the CM say this is a bad thing. that Walters needs to back Mam (which is what a good coach does (like Payten did with Dearden))

he says all this signing does is put ridiculous pressure on both these young halves.

lol
Depends how you manage it.

I mean this constructively and not as an excuse to dog Kev but the way he played Dearden and Croft against each other was the worst way to do it - especially when you start putting one on the bench and then hooking the other mid game to swap.

You need to pick your halves early and stick with them unless they give you a behavioural reason to drop them. Then have a guy who knows he’s 2nd choice but he’s first off the rank of there’s an injury and it’s his job to take the jersey if he wants it through hard work.

The way Payton did with Dearden and Drinkwater. He backed Dearden from day one and let him make mistakes and develop. Drinkwater worked his way into an alternative position.

And yet, our killer recruit next season is Kevvie's mate Lee Briers, who played halfback with him at Warrington.

He hasn't even arrived at the club yet and you're already driving that down our throats, at least see how the team performs first, yeah?

I mean this constructively and not as an excuse to dog Kev but the way he played Dearden and Croft against each other was the worst way to do it - especially when you start putting one on the bench and then hooking the other mid game to swap.

You need to pick your halves early and stick with them unless they give you a behavioural reason to drop them. Then have a guy who knows he’s 2nd choice but he’s first off the rank of there’s an injury and it’s his job to take the jersey if he wants it through hard work.

The way Payton did with Dearden and Drinkwater. He backed Dearden from day one and let him make mistakes and develop. Drinkwater worked his way into an alternative position.

he fucked Drinkwater around a fair bit in the early days, same as he did with JT2. but he has learned from his mistakes.

I also think Kev did too. in fact, if i was in his position i probably wouldn't have stuck with Mam as long as he did. Mam had a flying start, but you could tell was starting to burn put a bit and needed a rest. it took until the final round to give him that rest.

Cobbo is in the paper today talking about how much of a toll his first full year in the NRL took on him.

he fucked Drinkwater around a fair bit in the early days, same as he did with JT2. but he has learned from his mistakes.

I also think Kev did too. in fact, if i was in his position i probably wouldn't have stuck with Mam as long as he did. Mam had a flying start, but you could tell was starting to burn put a bit and needed a rest. it took until the final round to give him that rest.

Cobbo is in the paper today talking about how much of a toll his first full year in the NRL took on him.
Like I said. I wasn’t trying to stick the boot into Kev. It was just two examples that were easy for me to think of. Kev may have learned and we will see this coming season.

That being said I wasn’t exactly impressed with Kev’s management of our spine this season but I’ve said my piece on it and don’t need to go back over old ground.

I'd argue that Payten has had the luxury of putting Dearden in with Townsend...and that's the major difference. Someone to clean up his mistakes. I'd love to have seen what Dearden could have done outside of Reynolds. Walters didn't have that luxury unfortunately.

I also understand that you aren't trying to stick the boot in bro.

I love what he did there tbh. He set some standards and stuck to them. They're now reaping the rewards

Like I said. I wasn’t trying to stick the boot into Kev. It was just two examples that were easy for me to think of. Kev may have learned and we will see this coming season.

That being said I wasn’t exactly impressed with Kev’s management of our spine this season but I’ve said my piece on it and don’t need to go back over old ground.

didn't actually think you were ... just giving you my take on those examples 👍

Unread

Active Now

• Hurrijo
  • Morkel
  • Broncosgirl
  • KateBroncos1812
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.