Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2023

It’s naive to think that a Brisbane team isn’t going target existing Brisbane players. If I was running The Dolphins that exactly what I’d do. A player can make more money and not have to uplift their whole lives.

It’s naive to think that a Brisbane team isn’t going target existing Brisbane players. If I was running The Dolphins that exactly what I’d do. A player can make more money and not have to uplift their whole lives.
Yeah pretty weak they're still in the closet and aren't named "The Brisbane Dolphins"

Yer the reason they have no geographic location attached to the club is because it's a sneak attack second Brisbane team.

They could have easily called themselves "The Sunshine Coast Dolphins" or something.. But I think they're now coming out of the closet as a second Brisbane side... And stealing our players..

Sneak attack second Brisbane team? Closet second Brisbane side? Not sure what you're getting at here fella, they've been billed as a second Brisbane team since the beginning...

Sneak attack second Brisbane team? Closet second Brisbane side? Not sure what you're getting at here fella, they've been billed as a second Brisbane team since the beginning...
Then why aren't they called the Brisbane Dolphins?

Because they're a NSWRL puppet team.

They jumped at the opportunity for a license and happily take whatever NRL asks of them.

NRL:"You cant be Redcliffe"
Dolph:"Thats our history, but whatever... what should we be then??"
NRL:"Nothing, but also everything and everywhere!!!"
Dolph:"ok... whatever you want we'll be"
NRL: "You have to play out of Suncorp and not just Redcliffe"
Dolph: "Wouldnt make us enough money anyway so whatever"
NRL: "You need to be mobilised and ready within 12 months"
Dolph: "ahhh sure okay then... we were thinking 2024, but whatever"
NRL: "You're not getting any assistance from us in the transfer market"
Dolph: "Yep sure why not...Uncle Wayne will save us anyway ... can we have our $13m club grant now????"

***** me, they should be The Redcliffe Dolphins. There's nothing sneaky or in the closet here though...they were always going to be a second Brisbane team.

Long term

1. Selwyn Cobbo
3. Deine Mariner
4. Kotoni Staggs
6. Reece Walsh
7. Ezra Mam

Do we have any young guys capable of filling the wing positions in the years to come? Not really that important anyway.. We're pretty set.

Long term

1. Selwyn Cobbo
3. Deine Mariner
4. Kotoni Staggs
6. Reece Walsh
7. Ezra Mam

Do we have any young guys capable of filling the wing positions in the years to come? Not really that important anyway.. We're pretty set.

I have no idea if that is how it will turn out as injuries, idiocy and any number of other factors come in to it but right now we have Leota and Johnson who both look really, really promising to fill those roles and no doubt more behind them.

Only positive is that Mariner now has a pathway to first grade... play Qcup this year with some first grade sprinkled in ... line up as a first grade regular for next year.

It was always concerning to me that Herbie kept signing 1yr deals... so I feel this was always a risk.

Moving forward we might be looking at:
1. Walsh
2. Oates
3. Staggs
4. Cobbo
5. Mariner (with a view that Mariner moves into the centres eventually)

I think a bonus out of this is that Cobbo looks every bit a left centre and now he has a pathway to that position as well.

He talks about playing fullback, but I think he's a long way from that at the moment.

I've always thought that centre should be Cobbos long term position.

Maybe this move will keep him happy, filling in at fullback occasionally, similar to what Manu does for the rorters.

Long term

1. Selwyn Cobbo
3. Deine Mariner
4. Kotoni Staggs
6. Reece Walsh
7. Ezra Mam

1. Reece Walsh
2. Deine Mariner/Sailor/Leota/Johnson/etc
3. Selwyn Cobbo
4. Kotoni Staggs
5. Deine Mariner/Sailor/Leota/Johnson/etc
6. Ezra Mam
7. Jock Madden

If we're talking in a few years time (post Reyno/Oates), assuming Kotoni finds his form again and Cobbo takes to left centre like many of us think he can, that is a pretty damn classy 1-7.

1. Reece Walsh
2. Deine Mariner/Sailor/Leota/Johnson/etc
3. Selwyn Cobbo
4. Kotoni Staggs
5. Deine Mariner/Sailor/Leota/Johnson/etc
6. Ezra Mam
7. Jock Madden

If we're talking in a few years time (post Reyno/Oates), assuming Kotoni finds his form again and Cobbo takes to left centre like many of us think he can, that is a pretty damn classy 1-7.
This is an interesting post in regards to the future number 7 .. And sorry if we're steering off topic (might be one for a different thread) but how do you guys think Jock Madden rates as an up & coming halfback ? He seems to have been regarded as a depth signing, which is understandable in the short term given Reynolds is here.. But he's only 22.. do you think the Broncos see him as a genuine potential successor to Reynolds? And if so, do you think he has the ability to becoming one of the top halfbacks in the NRL in the next few years ?

Good move club. Give the fans something else to talk about. Sly, very sly.

This is an interesting post in regards to the future number 7 .. And sorry if we're steering off topic (might be one for a different thread) but how do you guys think Jock Madden rates as an up & coming halfback ? He seems to have been regarded as a depth signing, which is understandable in the short term given Reynolds is here.. But he's only 22.. do you think the Broncos see him as a genuine potential successor to Reynolds? And if so, do you think he has the ability to becoming one of the top halfbacks in the NRL in the next few years ?

I would say definitely they signed Jock with a view towards him replacing Reyno. We have Madden, Mam, Walsh and Mozer all within a few years of age of each other, and assuming good luck with injury and form - that will be our spine for the next decade IMO. I think it's a bit of an Ikin masterstroke tbh, there is absolutely no substitute for players becoming familiar with each other's games. Look at how QLD dominated Origin, a lot of those clutch plays over the years were as much on the back of those main guys being so intimately familiar with each others' games, as it was natural talent and skill.

I think Jock absolutely has the talent and the temperament to be a really solid halfback. I mean, I don't know that much about him, but he talks the talk and seems to have his head screwed on well. If we can keep that core together, I 100% think it could be one of the best spines in the competition.

Cleary is obviously going to be one of the GOATS, as much as it pains me to say it. Out of the other young guys: Ilias I think will be really good, Katoa has some spark and Dearden has achieved a lot already. The Titans kids are in a similar spot to ours with a bit more experience and perhaps a little less raw talent overall. But when you look at not only other club's spines but who they have coming through to REPLACE current players getting on a bit, I really think we could have one of the best spines in the comp in a few years time. Walsh can be elite at FB, Mozer could be a top 5 hooker, Mam has taken really quite well to NRL and best of all he has TIME like the great players do; and Madden I think will slot in there perfectly if he continues to develop his game.

A lot obviously needs to go right, but I think we are in a really, really solid position spine-wise for the future. Now we just need to develop these guys right and bring them through.

Active Now

• Mustafur
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Mr Fourex
  • cento
  • BruiserMk1
  • Johnny92
  • bert_lifts
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Mick_Hancock
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.