Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2023

Don't even understand why it was even brought up.

I think at this stage it's clear why we have to keep Reynolds for as long as we can, even our best case scenario options we can go for would be hard to get at the current moment.

Unless you get incredibly lucky like Penrith and get a high level half from the get go, if you want to stay at a high level after your half goes your going to need to poach them from another team who did all the development for you.

I think Walker or Dearden are the best options of the current young halves and would be happy with either though I still think if your committing to a halfback under 28 you are playing the long game and accepting a GF is unlikely until they mature.
Yes and no about the GF. Once Reynolds retires Patty and Reece will take the reins and will be more experienced by then.
If Mozer can become a NRL regular and Mam takes on more of a role with the other players in the team a young half could just slip in and play his role.
On the other hand if guys don't step up and the team doesn't stick together and there is alot of change a grand final will be a while til they can take control of the side and we learn how the team is going to play with a new half back.

Yes and no about the GF. Once Reynolds retires Patty and Reece will take the reins and will be more experienced by then.
If Mozer can become a NRL regular and Mam takes on more of a role with the other players in the team a young half could just slip in and play his role.
On the other hand if guys don't step up and the team doesn't stick together and there is alot of change a grand final will be a while til they can take control of the side and we learn how the team is going to play with a new half back.
It will help for sure but look at what has happened to the roosters without a mature halfback. Their team is stacked to the brim but can’t click in attack. Walsh is a better ball player than Teddy but it’s just an example. Look at Storm post-Cronk.

It will help for sure but look at what has happened to the roosters without a mature halfback. Their team is stacked to the brim but can’t click in attack. Walsh is a better ball player than Teddy but it’s just an example. Look at Storm post-Cronk.
Storm haven't done too bad without Cronk. 2 minor premierships, 2 grand finals, and 1 premiership. They probably miss Smith more.

Storm haven't done too bad without Cronk. 2 minor premierships, 2 grand finals, and 1 premiership. They probably miss Smith more.
Yeah Storm changed to a structure that basically doesn't play with an elite kicking game.

Hughes is there obviously, but I'd say his kicking is just normal for a half.

They basically work off a stock standard 5th tackle kick to the corner and rely on kick chase and defence.

Panthers when Cleary was injured basically relied on pop gun kicking from Cogger.

It's not the end of the world, but the systems have to be in place to work around it.

Pre six again most teams just worked with a stock standard kicker as penalties used to create games played inside the 20m's ... six again era is less forgiving with more gameplay between the 20's and needing to earn field position, which is much easier if you have an elite kicker in the team.

Yeah Storm changed to a structure that basically doesn't play with an elite kicking game.

Hughes is there obviously, but I'd say his kicking is just normal for a half.

They basically work off a stock standard 5th tackle kick to the corner and rely on kick chase and defence.

Panthers when Cleary was injured basically relied on pop gun kicking from Cogger.

It's not the end of the world, but the systems have to be in place to work around it.

Pre six again most teams just worked with a stock standard kicker as penalties used to create games played inside the 20m's ... six again era is less forgiving with more gameplay between the 20's and needing to earn field position, which is much easier if you have an elite kicker in the team.
Cogger will be a good half at some point. He doesn’t look out of place at all. I can’t remember, but has he just signed somewhere for next season? He looks the goods.

Cogger will be a good half at some point. He doesn’t look out of place at all. I can’t remember, but has he just signed somewhere for next season? He looks the goods.
I think there was talk a few weeks back that Tigers were looking at him, but not sure it's gone anywhere since.

Luia is an absolute wanker but he would make a good replacement for Reynolds.
Assuming this isn’t people just having a laugh, what about his game makes you think he would be any kind of halfback? Let alone a good one?

I've never seen a shit post from Santa, I'm backing his Luai call all the way!
98F5D6EB 6D90 415C A0EB A8BCBF74C803

Maybe we can find someone to replace Reynold's kicking in general play, goal kicking, support play and even maybe general playmaking at 7, but what we're really going to miss is his composure, leadership, decision making, calming influence, experience and belief. He is so instrumental to guiding this young team around, and any young half (even Cleary) just wouldn't be able to replicate this.

If we do go down the young halfback route, I hope we balance it out by bringing in some tough, hardened leaders in the forward pack to replicate some of these intangibles. Patty is developing nicely, but we need more senior on-field leaders who have been through the fire before and know how to come out the other side.

No matter what, our window to win is definitely NOW while Reynolds is still here. That should be the goal and anything less should be considered a failure for us.

Maybe we can find someone to replace Reynold's kicking in general play, goal kicking, support play and even maybe general playmaking at 7, but what we're really going to miss is his composure, leadership, decision making, calming influence, experience and belief. He is so instrumental to guiding this young team around, and any young half (even Cleary) just wouldn't be able to replicate this.

If we do go down the young halfback route, I hope we balance it out by bringing in some tough, hardened leaders in the forward pack to replicate some of these intangibles. Patty is developing nicely, but we need more senior on-field leaders who have been through the fire before and know how to come out the other side.

No matter what, our window to win is definitely NOW while Reynolds is still here. That should be the goal and anything less should be considered a failure for us.
I think carrigan proved tonight he can be our next hb. See that bomb he put up? On a dime

Providing we keep Walsh around he has a decent long kick that can be worked on should we need it, if we can't get a 7 who's kicking game is top tier.

That said, I feel I've seen and heard that Coby Black's kicking game is elite for his age so if he was able to get involved and some cup under his belt before Reyno retired, we could be in good stead. Especially if Reyno does stay in coaching ranks.

Active Now

• Broncorob
  • BroncosAlways
  • Broncosgirl
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.