Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2024

K

kman

QCup Player
Aug 8, 2021
Exactly. No one is comparing Walters to Cameron Smith, but to deny that he's done a good job there is just ignorant.

No matter his level, he's currently the best hooker on our books, and it's on the others to get better to take his spot.
He's done the job there, because he's had his father as the head coach. That's only reason he's playing 1st grade and why we haven't bothered replacing him.

Manofoneway

Manofoneway

NRL Player
May 22, 2022
He's played a sum total of 52 minutes of NRL, both times from the bench. He was fine. In my opinion, he was our best hooker in the trials, but YMMV.

Do you remember Billy's first 52 minutes at hooker? That okay, nobody else does either.
Yeah I know, but it doesnt change that he hasnt proven anything at NRL level now does it... I agree he was totally fine. Nice and ordinary.

Obviously you don't remember Billys first 52 minutes but here let me remind you. Happy for you to go back to the thread that gushed for Billy to play hooker.

Xzei

Xzei

State of Origin Rep
Mar 13, 2017
How can Mozer prove anything when he's not even given any playing time. Walters is a rejected half from multiple teams, and the only reason he's getting time is because his dads the coach. He's the best we got and it's only the players around him making him looking any good.
Fried Rice Cooking GIF by Nigel Ng (Uncle Roger)

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
How can Mozer prove anything when he's not even given any playing time. Walters is a rejected half from multiple teams, and the only reason he's getting time is because his dads the coach. He's the best we got and it's only the players around him making him looking any good.

Well thanks for clarifying, the first 553 times you’ve written exactly the same thing weren’t clear.

Swordfish

Swordfish

QCup Player
Aug 24, 2022
I read that Mozer is being chased by the Roosters but we are refusing his release. I believe it's time to piss Billy Walters off, he's absolutely shit and give Mozer a reason to stay.
Eddie Murphy What GIF by Laff

Why stop at Mozer? Let’s throw them Bukowski to sweeten the deal.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
Exactly. No one is comparing Walters to Cameron Smith, but to deny that he's done a good job there is just ignorant.

No matter his level, he's currently the best hooker on our books, and it's on the others to get better to take his spot.
I go back and forth on whether he’s better than Smoothy. I think Smoothy is underrated as a hooker. He is great from a technical perspective. Walters has the higher highs though generally.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Yeah I know, but it doesnt change that he hasnt proven anything at NRL level now does it... I agree he was totally fine. Nice and ordinary.

Obviously you don't remember Billys first 52 minutes but here let me remind you. Happy for you to go back to the thread that gushed for Billy to play hooker.

View attachment 28255
Billy did have a particularly good trial. Paix and Turpin didn't.

I'm sure no one has forgotten he did land the bench position, and then moved to start. You might also remember few were singing his praises at the end of that season. I said he should use the 2022 season to land a job elsewhere to save his old man the pain of having to demote him, or worse come under fire for favouring him. That was translated into "Billy hate."

He's not the side's biggest problem, but his inability to play long minutes, hand the aforesaid issue with his father are still looming wet patches on the bed.

He wasn't our worst player against the Sharks, that's for sure. But Mozer should be in the team now, and Smoothy has been the better hooker this season on average.

LittleDavey

LittleDavey

NRL Captain
Mar 25, 2013
Billy did have a particularly good trial. Paix and Turpin didn't.

I'm sure no one has forgotten he did land the bench position, and then moved to start. You might also remember few were singing his praises at the end of that season. I said he should use the 2022 season to land a job elsewhere to save his old man the pain of having to demote him, or worse come under fire for favouring him. That was translated into "Billy hate."

He's not the side's biggest problem, but his inability to play long minutes, hand the aforesaid issue with his father are still looming wet patches on the bed.

He wasn't our worst player against the Sharks, that's for sure. But Mozer should be in the team now, and Smoothy has been the better hooker this season on average.

I agree there's decisions to be made moving forwards, but I don't agree that Mozer should be in the team now. He's only played 30-odd games of Cup. Next year he will be more ready, this year I think injury cover is where he should be. He's right where he should be IMO, learning his trade and mixing it with the big boys at training.

The issue really comes from how he plays - he's a big minute hooker by all reports, who works himself into the game. More of a Cam Smith than an Api K for example (not a comparison of the player, just the way he plays, to be clear). Billy is halves cover in the event we lose a #6 or #7 throughout a game, and Smoothy has shown he is also capable of big minutes in that situation.

So realistically you'd probably want Mozer starting next year and either Billy or Smoothy off the bench, in which case Billy probably has to get the nod due to his halves cover - but Smoothy I think is probably the better bench hooker based on what we've seen to date. But he's also IMO too good for that and would probably get a start at a few other clubs. IMO Smoothy could be an 80-min hooker, he's shown he can do it on occasion and he's held his own remarkably well in those games. Tyson I believe is also more consistent than Billy.

Without Mozer in the wings, the rotation works. Trying to bring Mozer into first grade though in a way that suits his game, is going to be a real challenge due to the other pieces of the puzzle we have in that position. If Billy didn't bring halves cover I think he's the one left out based on performances this year, but especially with Reyno we can't overlook that cover. So then Smoothy is the one left out and I think that's really unfair because he's really solid and IMO has outplayed Billy for the most part this year. Alternatively, delay Mozer another year...but I don't think we can without losing him, that would be 3 full years in Cup...

I like Billy but probably for sentimental reasons as much as anything he does on the field. When he gets it right he's pretty damn good, but he is inconsistent. I really like Tyson too and the way he goes about his business, head down, works hard, he's well and truly earnt his place and he's really solid. Is Mozer going to be better?

I don't envy the upcoming decisions in this space but boy I hope the brains trust get it right.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Wouldn't surprise me. This club has a history of treating the Hooker position with contempt.

So let me ask you ... Would you play a weaker team just because you were afraid of losing a rookie (as hyped and as talented as this one is) in two years when his contract is up?

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
I read that Mozer is being chased by the Roosters but we are refusing his release. I believe it's time to piss Billy Walters off, he's absolutely shit and give Mozer a reason to stay.

Can you give some examples from games why you think Mozer should be in the NRL side?

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
I wouldn't have thought that Mozer needs to be in the team at the moment but his opportunities are limited due to us having two decent options in front of him. Heck you could even argue that Paix is ahead of him. The problem I see is that he's 21 with his path blocked for NRL and he's playing for a bad Qcup team.

Big Del

Big Del

NRL Captain
Apr 22, 2017

Source ?

Skyblues87

Skyblues87

QCup Player
Feb 9, 2017
Billy Walters is not shit. I have no idea what he earns but I bet its not a lot compared to other Hookers in the NRL so imo we are getting value for money. Last weeks try assist for Pat was sublime .

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
So let me ask you ... Would you play a weaker team just because you were afraid of losing a rookie (as hyped and as talented as this one is) in two years when his contract is up?

I would certainly be giving him more of a chance to develop in first grade than we are now. I can't see why we can't play him off the bench against weaker sides then bring Smoothy back for the tough ones.

Santa

Santa

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jun 30, 2020
I would certainly be giving him more of a chance to develop in first grade than we are now. I can't see why we can't play him off the bench against weaker sides then bring Smoothy back for the tough ones.
That sounds like it would just further interupt the cohesion of the team by swapping players in and out when it's not necessary. Also it would be bad for the team to be playing differently against perceived "weaker" teams - should be aiming to smash everyone we play.

The dude is injury cover. If he plays better and keeps improving, he can try and get promoted next year.

Active Now

• Xzei
  • Johnny92
  • mitch222
  • Aldo
  • lynx000
  • Galah
  • thenry
  • Financeguy
  • whykickamoocow
  • winslow_wong
  • ivanhungryjak
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.