Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2024

Well Mozer got that last round game .
Paix was not even in the extended squad . He`ll be going elsewhere soon .

The guys who were leaving all got acknowledged at the awards night . Smoothy wasn`t on that list .

Paix did play in the last round against the Storm.

NRL.com having him playing 18 minutes... Mozer played 24 minutes

Smoothy hasn't been added to the departures list so I would say he's getting another deal.

I hope he does. He had a rocky start but he came good and he's a handy hooker to have.
Yep, regardless of how you feel about the standard of our hookers at the end of 2023, we can't afford to upgrade them. And even if you think Billy and Tyson deserve a salary bump (reasonable suggestion), we'd probably need to use Paix's money to do it.

FWIW, I still think we need more from dummy half in the light of Adam's declining returns. Whether Tyson and Billy still have more creative upside is up for debate but we do appear to have our hookers in Biro for the foreseeable future.

We won premierships with Kerrod at hooker, and IMO he was nothing special, but his halves were.

Yep, regardless of how you feel about the standard of our hookers at the end of 2023, we can't afford to upgrade them. And even if you think Billy and Tyson deserve a salary bump (reasonable suggestion), we'd probably need to use Paix's money to do it.

FWIW, I still think we need more from dummy half in the light of Adam's declining returns. Whether Tyson and Billy still have more creative upside is up for debate but we do appear to have our hookers in Biro for the foreseeable future.

We won premierships with Kerrod at hooker, and IMO he was nothing special, but his halves were.
Kerrod played 8 tests for Australia and was Dally M hooker of the year twice...not bad for nothing special.

I thought walters improved year over year i wouldnt be surprised if he doesnt improve again with another pre season same with tyson

FWIW, I still think we need more from dummy half in the light of Adam's declining returns.
Declining returns??

He got us to the GF and was rated our third best player behind Walsh and Haas... who are in the discussion for best at their position across the league.

Reynolds had an excellent year and was mostly able to take a backseat because he had a weapon at fullback.... but pretty much every time Walsh failed to fire or wasnt playing, it was Reynolds who took charge and got us the win.

This talk that he's declining should be seen as media propaganda, because if we send Reynolds packing early, then we're in all sorts of trouble.

Declining returns??

He got us to the GF and was rated our third best player behind Walsh and Haas... who are in the discussion for best at their position across the league.

Reynolds had an excellent year and was mostly able to take a backseat because he had a weapon at fullback.... but pretty much every time Walsh failed to fire or wasnt playing, it was Reynolds who took charge and got us the win.

This talk that he's declining should be seen as media propaganda, because if we send Reynolds packing early, then we're in all sorts of trouble.
Except in the grand final.

Kerrod played 8 tests for Australia and was Dally M hooker of the year twice...not bad for nothing special.
Granted, but IN MY OPINION he wasn't anything special. I don't think he was any better than Billy. Interpret that any way you want.

True... fire the useless prick into the sun!!!
Not my point, only that he can be less and less expected to carry the attack on his shoulders. Particularly his kicking game, which has been his strongest card.

maybe we should consider this guy to replace Reynolds when it's time 😁

maybe we should consider this guy to replace Reynolds when it's time 😁

IMG 7391

I feel really sorry for Brodie. Where the club was when he came to us, and what the club expected of him at that time was disgraceful. We absolutely fucking broke him and it's never sat well with me. You could just see his confidence leaving him a little each game during his time with us.

I'm so happy to see him doing well over in the UK, he was a likeable bloke and he always gave 100%.

He'll be 27-28 when Reynolds retires (depending on if its in 1 or 2 years), I'm really on the signing older halfbacks wagon after suffering through so many rookies. He's probably gotten better. Not sure if he's up to NRL level, but I'd definitely look at him and some others before bringing in some 19 year old.

He'll be 27-28 when Reynolds retires (depending on if its in 1 or 2 years), I'm really on the signing older halfbacks wagon after suffering through so many rookies. He's probably gotten better. Not sure if he's up to NRL level, but I'd definitely look at him and some others before bringing in some 19 year old.
He’d be at least as good as Madden currently is

I think people aren't appreciating what exactly the broncos are doing and what we have with jock madden.

I am also tempted to get someone else just in case he doesn't work out but the broncos are obviously taking a Melbourne storm-like approach.

In madden we have a JUST below nrl standard halfback who is willing to learn the systems, build combinations and develop his game over the period of 2-3 years. He may not be the best option from a skillet point of view but he is the best option from a team point of view.

We buy someone else and that would drop his confidence, and decrease the learning for both the players.

We can always go to market and buy someone else the year Reynolds retires anyway if madden doesnt continue to grow. It's not like anyone better then him is willing to wait in reserve grade with him for 1-2 years anyway.

We have a very safe option sitting there once Reynolds retires for a year, maybe 2. Why ruin that process.

I think people aren't appreciating what exactly the broncos are doing and what we have with jock madden.

I am also tempted to get someone else just in case he doesn't work out but the broncos are obviously taking a Melbourne storm-like approach.

In madden we have a JUST below nrl standard halfback who is willing to learn the systems, build combinations and develop his game over the period of 2-3 years. He may not be the best option from a skillet point of view but he is the best option from a team point of view.

We buy someone else and that would drop his confidence, and decrease the learning for both the players.

We can always go to market and buy someone else the year Reynolds retires anyway if madden doesnt continue to grow. It's not like anyone better then him is willing to wait in reserve grade with him for 1-2 years anyway.

We have a very safe option sitting there once Reynolds retires for a year, maybe 2. Why ruin that process.
Yeah Madden is in a fortunate position because we are only gambling on him becoming NRL standard, not relying on him to be great. The gamble we are taking on Madden is that Walsh and Mam will develop to a point that it compensates for the drop of quality between Reyno and Madden. it is looking like fairly strong odds too.

I hope Mam takes a lot of confidence from his end to the season and starts adding some extra skills to his game over the off-season. I would love to see him continue to step up and take kicks or put passes on.

Active Now

• Allo
  • Fitzy
  • bert_lifts
  • Lostboy
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.