Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2024

Don't underestimate the old fox. You don't get to where he is and do what he's done without being very clever between the ears. He's been coaching for 48 years - longer than a lot of posters on this forum have even been alive...

Yes but it's a bit ridiculous to suggest every time he's gone off at a journo it's been some sort of well thought out plan.

No doubt sometimes that is part of his thinking but every single time? I don't think so.

Don't underestimate the old fox. You don't get to where he is and do what he's done without being very clever between the ears. He's been coaching for 48 years - longer than a lot of posters on this forum have even been alive...
Rough Guide to Wayne:

ScreenScreenshot 2024 02 02 at 09 13 46 How Wayne Bennett plays tricks on you

Look, I have a history with Tevita, he came to the Broncos because he wanted to be coached by me

How many times does Bennett want to remind people that TPJ came to the Broncos because of him?

Every chance he gets.. I've lost count.

How many times does Bennett want to remind people that TPJ came to the Broncos because of him?

Every chance he gets.. I've lost count.
Wayne 2022:

“I have a lot of time for Tevita. He was no trouble for me. I knew how to handle Tevita. If he was on the open market tomorrow, I would sign him in a heartbeat for the Dolphins. He was one of the guys I really enjoyed coaching at the Broncos. "​
"He actually came to the Broncos because of me."​
“He was at Canberra at the time and he called me up and said he wanted to be coached by me. He played some excellent games for me at the Broncos. I remember one game where he took the Roosters apart by himself and won the game for the Broncos. He dominated Jason Taumalolo one night when the Broncos beat the Cowboys. I saw him as a kid playing at Newcastle and I thought ‘I would love to coach that kid one day’. He just has skills that can’t be coached. He has God-given talent. It always comes back to being coached at the right club. The system can make you into a better player, but you also need to have the desire.”​

Wayne 2023:

I won't knock Tevita Pangai back if he wants to come to the Dolphins. At this stage, I've had no conversations with Tevita. I'm not privy to anything going on with him. He hasn't spoken to me, we haven't crossed paths and I didn't know he was doing this. I have no idea if Tevita is moving back to Brisbane or taking up boxing full-time. Tevita better be a good boxer because he won't make a lot of money if he ain't. He is on a big contract in rugby league, so I don't quite understand why he has done it, but anyway, it's his choice. If Tevita is keen to play rugby league again, I would certainly be interested in talking to him, but I'm just letting him go on his own path right now.”​

Dobbo 2023:

"TPJ - was a Brisbane Bronco. Grew up in Newcastle, became a Brisbane Bronco and we never saw his full potential. Kevin Walters shipped Tevita and Matt Lodge out of there because he said they were destabilising. Tevita goes to Penrith, wins a grand final, he then starts at the Bulldogs, two seasons at the Bulldogs, hit and miss on $750,000 a year, retires from rugby league to take up a boxing career. Had a fight last year on the undercard of Justis Huni but has now officially said after the end of next week, he’s done, he’s hanging up the footy boots."​
“Let’s not forget a few months ago he was playing Origin for New South Wales. Great footballer, good bloke. Moving back to Queensland to further his boxing career, and then the dots started to get joined. Bulldogs needed some salary cap space, we know the kind of headaches they’ve got there. Tevita is not happy, he said the biggest mistake he ever made was leaving the Broncos, he wants to come back to Queensland. Who was he coached by when he first played here? Wayne Bennett. Where’s Wayne now? He’s at the Dolphins. So you start to join the dots.”​
“Tevita, proud Tongan heritage. Who is the coach of the Tongan team? Kristian Wolf, Dolphins assistant coach, next head coach, or is also a former boxer. Kristian Wolf from Mt Isa could fight like a bag of feral cats and Tevita wants to do it. So where there is smoke, there is fire, so I put it to Dolphins CEO Terry Reader.”​
“I spoke to someone at the Broncos and they said he’s not coming back under Kevvie, no way, absolutely no way. He’ll cost 550-600 and the Dolphins have got $2 million cap space, they’ve got so much cap space it’s not funny. He strengthens your pack, he’s an Origin player. They’ll pay 600. I’d say all roads point to the peninsula of Redcliffe. Add him with (Tom) Flegler, you’ve got (Jarrod) Wallace, you’ve got (Tom) Gilbert, the Bromwich brothers at the back end of their careers, JMK at hooker. They could be anything and Wayne and Kristian Woolf know how to handle Tevita.”​
“Wayne has had a relationship with Tevita, the mail is he’s going to be a Dolphin in 2024.”

Reader 2023:

“Well it’s mail we haven’t received yet. We heard Wayne’s comments, he said if he’s living in Brisbane and wants to play football then he’s open to having a chat about it. If there’s a quality player available and he wants to be at your club to fit into what you guys are going and what we’re doing, you’re always going to listen. If Tevita has moved back to Brisbane and he decides he hasn’t finished yet, Wayne is happy to have a chat.”
Wayne 2024:
“Tevita is a very gifted player but we have our squad in place and we’re very happy with what we’ve got."

I agree... but if he was as good at media manipulation as what he is given credit for why was he pushed out of the broncos almost exclusively on the back of media pressure. People forget that, we were getting hammered on a weekly basis by news/fox. Yes, that shows that they specifically had an agenda, but that's exactly the point, his media savvy wasn't able to manipulate the situation.

I agree... but if he was as good at media manipulation as what he is given credit for why was he pushed out of the broncos almost exclusively on the back of media pressure. People forget that, we were getting hammered on a weekly basis by news/fox. Yes, that shows that they specifically had an agenda, but that's exactly the point, his media savvy wasn't able to manipulate the situation.
Because the press doesn't owe Wayne Bennett anything. But there was and remains a conflict of interest between News and the Broncos due to common ownership, and that comes into play at the board level.

Without rehashing the drama, the "he said/they said," Bennett's unreported personal hardship, and everything that led to the breakdown, the board and coach were at odds, and the breakup was played out in the conflicted press.

The conflict of interest didn't matter: all press feeds on drama, and Bennett's sullen demeanor played into the portrayal of him as difficult, and the impression that he saw himself as bigger than the club, particularly its administration. The club fed the press the drama it needed to hang him by his own rope.

In short, Bennett lost control of the press. His tactics didn't work when his opponent was his own club's board.

Because the press doesn't owe Wayne Bennett anything. But there was and remains a conflict of interest between News and the Broncos due to common ownership, and that comes into play at the board level.

Without rehashing the drama, the "he said/they said," Bennett's unreported personal hardship, and everything that led to the breakdown, the board and coach were at odds, and the breakup was played out in the conflicted press.

The conflict of interest didn't matter: all press feeds on drama, and Bennett's sullen demeanor played into the portrayal of him as difficult, and the impression that he saw himself as bigger than the club, particularly its administration. The club fed the press the drama it needed to hang him by his own rope.

In short, Bennett lost control of the press. His tactics didn't work when his opponent was his own club's board.
Great summation. Has anyone ever told you you'd make a great journalist Pete... I mean mchunt...

I do think he gets too much credit sometimes, not every single time he lets fly at a journo is a crafted plan, sometimes it has to be just frustration and the journo getting a response.
Agree, the guy could shit his pants due to dysentery at a press conference and his supporters would spin it as him taking the pressure off his players whilst at the same time delivering a razor sharp barb about how journalism is shit.

Definitely not Shalom like at all. I’ll raise you a James Johnson though.

P.s. I am well aware he is a lot better prospect than James was. He is actually a good signing imo.

Shalom and Johnson were train and trial they weren't contracted. Norths and Wynnum made those signings and put them forward.

The fact they played four games between them reflects on their club's recruitment not the Broncos.

Karapani has signed a development deal with the Broncos.

Yes but it's a bit ridiculous to suggest every time he's gone off at a journo it's been some sort of well thought out plan.

No doubt sometimes that is part of his thinking but every single time? I don't think so.
Sure, probably fair, though I also tend to think he's been doing it for so long now he probably doesn't even do it consciously anymore. Not necessarily saying every interaction is a well-thought-out plan but he does play the media like a fiddle for the most part. But hey everyone's human and makes mistakes.

McHunt raised what I was about to lol...there was clearly bigger issues with where the club was at the time and News as majority owner of the club.

Agree, the guy could shit his pants due to dysentery at a press conference and his supporters would spin it as him taking the pressure off his players whilst at the same time delivering a razor sharp barb about how journalism is shit.
Agree to disagree on this I guess. The game hasn't seen a media manipulator like Bennett before and I doubt we will again.

Is he perfect, no of course not. I'm not a rabid supporter of his by any stretch. But credit where it's due, he does know how to manage the media scrum better than anyone else in the game and it's not even close. Actually, I lie, Gus also has a good crack (and a lot of fun while messing around too, you can tell). No surprise it's the elder statesmen in the game with the most media experience who are most adept.

I do think he gets too much credit sometimes, not every single time he lets fly at a journo is a crafted plan, sometimes it has to be just frustration and the journo getting a response.

He knows exactly what he is doing. He's been playing the media for around 35 years. Its pretty naive to think he's getting too much credit for it when its literally been happening for over 3 decades, especially the older he has got. He's just too smart for the media and they for some reason keep falling for what he does. Wayne might be a lot of things, but impulsive and over emotional arent really in his makeup. It would be a very, very rare occasion that he acts in that way.

He knows exactly what he is doing. He's been playing the media for around 35 years. Its pretty naive to think he's getting too much credit for it when its literally been happening for over 3 decades, especially the older he has got. He's just too smart for the media and they for some reason keep falling for what he does. Wayne might be a lot of things, but impulsive and over emotional arent really in his makeup. It would be a very, very rare occasion that he acts in that way.

So you're saying every single time over 35 years, he has orchestrated a plot to manipulate the media to benefit his team and not once reacted to a question in an emotional manner?

Surely, even you have to concede how ridiculous that sounds.

helps he has crawley hanging of his nuts throwing him home runs

So you're saying every single time over 35 years, he has orchestrated a plot to manipulate the media to benefit his team and not once reacted to a question in an emotional manner?

Surely, even you have to concede how ridiculous that sounds.

No, i'm not saying that at all. If you could actually get past your anti Wayne agenda and actually read what i wrote you would clearly see that.

It would be a very, very rare occasion that he acts in that way.

It has happened, more than likely it will happen again, but its not a regular thing at all.

I wouldnt say he orchestrates anything either, If its a pre planned press conference, i've got no doubts he knows what he is going to give the media way before it happens. If its just an after game press conference, he's got so much experience dealing with the press under his belt he can adapt pretty quickly to anything they throw at him.

All i can say is i've spoken to plenty of players who have worked with him directly so i'm pretty confident i'm fairly on the money with how he works. As i said before, unless you work with him, you dont really see the real Wayne Bennett through the eyes of the media.

Agree to disagree on this I guess. The game hasn't seen a media manipulator like Bennett before and I doubt we will again.

Is he perfect, no of course not. I'm not a rabid supporter of his by any stretch. But credit where it's due, he does know how to manage the media scrum better than anyone else in the game and it's not even close. Actually, I lie, Gus also has a good crack (and a lot of fun while messing around too, you can tell). No surprise it's the elder statesmen in the game with the most media experience who are most adept.
You can credit Joh Bjelke Peterson and the QLD Police for that. Joh gave Constable Bennett his start in rep footy, which led to him meeting his future wife. Joh started out every interview by putting the press on the back foot. Wayne took notes.

The streets of Brisbane were in safe hands back then.

ScreenwB9FbuBiKMUtG3gUejexE5f8RUb8bWPgxrLgOnfNgNE

Tevita Pangai Jr:

“I have no regrets. I never ripped off anyone at the Dogs. I’m not driven by money. I’m just happy to be back in Brisbane with my life settled again. I’m committed to boxing but I haven’t ruled out playing NRL again. I would have to have a good talk with my wife and my brother, who manages me."​
"I blame my boxing trainer for this Broncos speculation. His daughter wanted to meet Reece Walsh and Payne Haas, so I said, ‘I will take you training and meet a few of the lads’. That’s why all these rumours started happening about me coming back to the Broncos, but it’s not the first time I have gone to watch Broncos training. Right now, I am focused on boxing, but I think I can still definitely mix it in the NRL. I’m only 28 and I’m just hitting my peak as a front-rower. Ability wise, I can still do something in the NRL, but I’m taking boxing seriously and respecting the sport.”​
“Leaving the Broncos was the worst period of my life. I was literally in tears when I had to leave, that’s how much I loved the Broncos. I’ve always had a soft spot for the Broncos and even when I was at the Bulldogs, I loved tuning into Broncos games. I’m very close with Payne and Patty, so I will never forget the friendships I made at the Broncos. I get on great with Kev. I understood at the time when they let me go it was all business. We had a lot of money tied up in our forward pack and I never took it personally."​
I was pretty angry I had to leave Brisbane because I could see the potential that was coming. I knew Adam Reynolds would make a huge difference to the team, but there’s no issue with Kevvie at all. Yes, I’ve spoken to ‘Kevvie’ at Broncos training. I have always stayed in touch with Kevvie, even during my time in Sydney, he would message me after I played a good game. We haven’t had too many serious discussions, but I haven’t closed the door on the NRL.”​
“It’s true I spoke to Eddie Jones. Simon Poidevin is a friend of mine, he helped me get a scholarship to Newington College when I was 12 years old and he helped set up a chat with Eddie. We had been trying to set up the meeting for a while, but we finally spoke just a few days after I announced my retirement from the NRL. Eddie was great. I really enjoyed talking to him. He was pretty keen to sign me, he told me to watch some footage of games and I mentioned to him that I had played No.8 and liked watching Toutai Kefu and Willie Ofahengaue. I definitely thought about going to rugby. There’s the Lions tour and the World Cup coming up. I played rugby union as a kid, so I know the game, but I had told the Bulldogs I wanted to test myself in boxing and I wanted to stick to my word.”​
“To be honest, I just hated Sydney. I didn’t enjoy the city. There’s a reason my parents moved out of Sydney when I was 12. The place sucks. I will never move back. My big thing was being in Brisbane. People don’t understand how much I love being back home with my wife’s family and being able to work with my boxing trainer in Brisbane."​
"There’s no issue with Cameron. He knows what we spoke about. I had some goals I wrote down and I told them if I didn’t meet them, I would quit the NRL and take up boxing. I said to ‘Ciro’ if we didn’t make the top eight, that I would leave the club and I’d go without a payout. We had a great relationship. Cameron didn’t want to hold me to those words, but I felt I dropped below my standard at the Dogs and I wasn’t happy with myself.”​
“The truth is there was no payout. While most of my discussions were with the coach, I got on with ‘Gus.' When he found out about my decision, we definitely spoke about it and he said if I ever needed anything, he would be there for me which I appreciated. I was happy that I could leave without any bad blood. I didn’t get a cent from the Dogs. Anyone who has dealt with me knows I am very fair at the negotiating table. I’m not driven by money. My parents always said don’t rip anyone off. I’ve had bigger offers in my time in the NRL and I happily took less to play in winning teams. I don’t care if people think I’m money hungry. I got to move back to Brisbane and box and the Dogs had $750,000 to play with. I think it was a fair deal in the end.”​
“I really do love the sport of boxing. I have signed a two-fight deal and I’m giving it my all in the sport. The hardest thing is getting used to being punched in the face, but once you get used to it, it’s actually a nice feeling. I feel like I can fight for the next decade. It’s a long and hard road but I believe I can make some noise in boxing."​
“I do feel I have more clarity in my life. I’m now married with two kids and I can’t be happier being home in Brisbane. I don’t hate rugby league. You definitely didn’t see the best of me in the NRL. I feel like I could have done better with my consistency, but I don’t know what the future holds. I think I can succeed in two sports. Boxing and rugby league work together in many ways, I don’t think the training can hurt me in boxing and vice-versa with league. If I was go down that path - mixing boxing and NRL - I don’t think it would be an issue for me.”​

Active Now

• Behind enemy lines
  • lynx000
  • Lostboy
  • Harry Sack
  • Mister Wright
  • Skathen
  • barker
  • Foordy
  • johnny plath
  • Midean
  • Xzei
  • Allo
  • dasherhalo
  • GCBRONCO
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • Brotherdu
  • Sproj
  • Jazza
  • Bucking Beads
... and 18 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.