Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2025

Let's nip the second row talk in the bud.

He's barely played there his entire career and it's a big ask to think he can cover the position in his twilight years after spending two years out of the competition.

If the Broncos signed him on a development deal or train and trial that would be fine but it's difficult to get excited about another stop-gap signing in the NRL squad.

They need to find a marquee player or get a head-start on Reynolds' replacement.

That's where we disagree. Yes, he can cover those positions and he has NRL experience, but what attributes does he actually bring? Does he run good lines? Does he make good defensive decisions? Does he make strong contact and 'win' tackles? Does he have size? Does he have an offload?

The Broncos have too many Gold Coast players as is. When you sign Titans players, expect Titans results.

Purdue, Hinchey, Price (down the line, knee reco). If Te'o could bring Nonu with him, that would be swell.

Walker would make me happy for '26 but I'm not sure how conducive it is to winning a premiership, I'd just be entertained.

It depends on who's available as well. We're about to enter the off-season, so if the club can pick up an out of favour edge forward I'd like to see the club in the market for one of them.

Would be nice if Te'o brought a Dolphin with him too. Sadly I don't think the Dolphins would be keen to lose Nonu.
Mate it’s called depth. We are losing for the most part depth players, what we need in return is still some depth signings. Tom Opacic on a bit over 100k is a great signing. Whilst I’d never chuck him in the 11 or 12 jersey to start it’s very clear this side needs a bloke on the bench that can cover the outside backs and cover second row. When you are already running a hooker in the bench rotation it helps when that player can do both. You have to remember our outside back depth currently consists of Karapani, Hoeter (likely) and Leota next year. Personally I think both Karapani and Leota are dogshit and I think Hoeter is unlikely to be the depth player he was. Opacic makes sense as a bloke who just does his job when needed.

I personally agree with you on Klese haas but at the end of the day almost everyone in our main 13 to 17 are on large untransferable contracts with no player talent on the market so you may as well take a hike with this I want marquee players and marquee players only bullshit.

Purdue, Hinchey, Nonu and Price is not in the slightest bit useful and or realistic signings. It’s just more youngsters who aren’t gonna do you the job you need. Purdue might be the closest to up to it and necessary because we need a backup FB but he is not getting released and I can’t see why he would be in a hurry to come to us where he has no great pathway opportunity. Bukowski, Black, Te Kura, Armstrong, Leota, Bryce and Allen are not that indifferent to the crop you have just mentioned. I think it’s safe to say that all of them will be in cup this year so I don’t know why we would waste our resources trying to chase blokes that don’t have a clear pathway to first grade and don’t notably exceed if at all the blokes I just mentioned.

Obviously LJ Nonu would be nice but I can’t see him getting released and I can’t see Te’O as an assistant holding that kind of pull to get a player here. I’m not aware of Nonu’s contract situation so if there isn’t much of an opportunity opening itself up for him, which is entirely possible with Fuller, Bostock, Farnworth, Hammer, Averillo, Tupou, Isaako all relatively established in first grade and likely to chew up the spots for the years to come. Especially if Fuller locks down FB Herbie and Hammer are mainstays in the centres for a while.

Tanah Boyd from the Titans has been advised he is free to look elsewhere for next season. A possible back-up to Reyno? Couldn't be any worse than Madden and Rogers, surely?

Walker would make me happy for '26 but I'm not sure how conducive it is to winning a premiership, I'd just be entertained.
I'd rule out Sam, but I reckon we might get Cody under our cap.

Also, Horsbrough to Tigers would be great for them, I guess that means we are keeping Hetherington? I can’t see them taking both, particularly given they just got Royce Hunt as well.

Tigers are making some pretty astute signings.

Tom Opacic on a bit over 100k is a great signing.
I'm going to ease my foot on the brakes here. Acceptable? Sure, great? What does that make Glenn Lazarus? Kevin Walters? Gorden Tallis?
Whilst I’d never chuck him in the 11 or 12 jersey to start it’s very clear this side needs a bloke on the bench that can cover the outside backs and cover second row.
OK, so who is going to play that role?

If you think it's Opacic, expect plenty of disappointment.

I personally agree with you on Klese haas but at the end of the day almost everyone in our main 13 to 17 are on large untransferable contracts with no player talent on the market so you may as well take a hike with this I want marquee players and marquee players only bullshit.
Prioritise marquee players first, figure out depth players afterwards.
Purdue, Hinchey, Nonu and Price is not in the slightest bit useful and or realistic signings. It’s just more youngsters who aren’t gonna do you the job you need. Purdue might be the closest to up to it and necessary because we need a backup FB but he is not getting released and I can’t see why he would be in a hurry to come to us where he has no great pathway opportunity. Bukowski, Black, Te Kura, Armstrong, Leota, Bryce and Allen are not that indifferent to the crop you have just mentioned. I think it’s safe to say that all of them will be in cup this year so I don’t know why we would waste our resources trying to chase blokes that don’t have a clear pathway to first grade and don’t notably exceed if at all the blokes I just mentioned.
Ideally you want to make signings that can actually work as long term investments. I provided a few names, players that have the attributes the club could use, that would bolster the team.

In the interim, I would keep a close eye on the market but I'd have to make sure there's enough value and it's a good fit for the club. I'm not entirely sure what the landscape looks like, none of us do, but the Broncos ought to try and land one of those Curran signings this off-season.

I don't think there's anything unrealistic about any of those signings I listed. They might not be available for 2025, but I'd certainly start touching base right now and make a serious effort to bring them in.

I agree that the Broncos should also focus on their own juniors, but why would you not try to have it both ways? You're never going to keep all of those talents, so why would you toss your arms up in the air and not try to bring in another prospect?

Obviously LJ Nonu would be nice but I can’t see him getting released and I can’t see Te’O as an assistant holding that kind of pull to get a player here. I’m not aware of Nonu’s contract situation so if there isn’t much of an opportunity opening itself up for him, which is entirely possible with Fuller, Bostock, Farnworth, Hammer, Averillo, Tupou, Isaako all relatively established in first grade and likely to chew up the spots for the years to come. Especially if Fuller locks down FB Herbie and Hammer are mainstays in the centres for a while.
I'm not going to hold it against Te'o if he fails to bring Nonu with him. However that competition for spots is exactly why I'd be encouraging Ben to use his knowledge on the Dolphins to bring a couple over with him. Same with Barrett. It might just end up being another Shaun Nona type signing but the club needs some options.

Oates and Taupau can both **** off. Marty is nowhere near as bad as Oates but still no thank you. Thanks for your time the two of you but **** off.

Well , I think Marty has been the best forward in the team the past month or more .
What was he doing or not doing that didn`t measure up in your estimation ?

Oates well he`s in a different class altogether .Sadly not NRL standard anymore .

Could TBaz bring someone like Shaun Lane with him to reinforce your backrow stocks. Could do a lot worse when he is on song.

Absolutely. He can obviously play middle and second-row as well, he would offer us a lot, would be very happy to get him.

@Big Pete, I like your suggestions but you know who I would really like to get from the Cows as I don't think they would let Purdue go is Chester - that guy can play anywhere in the backline and gives us our replacement fullback.

Let's nip the second row talk in the bud.

He's barely played there his entire career and it's a big ask to think he can cover the position in his twilight years after spending two years out of the competition.

If the Broncos signed him on a development deal or train and trial that would be fine but it's difficult to get excited about another stop-gap signing in the NRL squad.

They need to find a marquee player or get a head-start on Reynolds' replacement.

That's where we disagree. Yes, he can cover those positions and he has NRL experience, but what attributes does he actually bring? Does he run good lines? Does he make good defensive decisions? Does he make strong contact and 'win' tackles? Does he have size? Does he have an offload?

The Broncos have too many Gold Coast players as is. When you sign Titans players, expect Titans results.

Purdue, Hinchey, Price (down the line, knee reco). If Te'o could bring Nonu with him, that would be swell.

It depends on who's available as well. We're about to enter the off-season, so if the club can pick up an out of favour edge forward I'd like to see the club in the market for one of them.

That is an incredibly sexy list. Purdue was great in Cup this year, Hinchey was my stand out Meninga player in 22. Price was great in a terrible Blackhawks and Nona has handled Meninga and Cup together this year. Fullback in Meninga and Centres in Cup isn’t easy.

They’re all smart players too.

I’d add Stimson and from Pride Chester and Duffy. Chester has been moving into 6 during games and being a legitimate 6 not just a one handling the ball out the back.

Smith and Chester have a really smart role for him and Chester/Duffy have been great together.

Duffy is about to win a premiership and Petero Medal.

Also, Horsbrough to Tigers would be great for them, I guess that means we are keeping Hetherington? I can’t see them taking both, particularly given they just got Royce Hunt as well.

Tigers are making some pretty astute signings.
Until they signed Jack Bird... He's so broken Flanno was barely able to pick him and was happy to release him... so I'm not sure how they think they're going to get 2 years of value out of him.

Well , I think Marty has been the best forward in the team the past month or more .
What was he doing or not doing that didn`t measure up in your estimation ?

Oates well he`s in a different class altogether .Sadly not NRL standard anymore .
Marty only seems to try when he is looking for a new contact
He’s been like that for years

Also Josh Allen and Ewen Moore from the Pride. Moore is a classic defender and massive reason no one is messing with the Pride. Allen no crap little bit more experienced middle but few injuries.

Chester is at that stage of his career where he ought to find a club that will offer him a starting opportunity. I don't think the Broncos can provide that and it would represent a side-ways move for him. If he was happy to be Sailor's replacement, that would be a fantastic get and I'm sure Hunt would be doing backflips.

It's not a terrible shout, but if the Broncos are making the effort to go out and sign a player, I'd rather Purdue. There's just a way he plays that looks so effortless and he's flying under the radar. There's more upside there, whereas I worry if Chester finds another level he'll pop all his blood vessels - he's all heart.

It's not exactly alien, but let's break it down. Tom has played 46 games in the ESL, of the 46, 1 was in the second row and two were off the bench. I would not sign him under the pretense that he could be our Kurt Capewell replacement, not on those figures. I'd look at him purely as a plug and play centre, if he can fill in the backrow if there was an emergency, that's a bonus but I wouldn't have high expectations.

My point is, a first grader should be the priority right now. Get that signing done first and see what's left over for an Opacic. Otherwise the Broncos will run into the same problem where they made 'responsible' depth signings in Pereira, Hoeter, J. Hunt etc. and they were virtually a no-show.

As it stands, the cap isn't in that bad a shape.

The problem is, the Broncos don't know what they're working with because they're keeping enough aside to try and hold onto the players they want to.

They won't know what they're working with until that point in time.

They may need to expedite that process and set deadlines for certain players/agents and other players may have to make room.

Which isn't to say it's easy, tough decisions will have to be made and they'll need to be smart about how they put certain deals together. However, if they think they can get by with minimal changes and just sign a couple of depth players who fell into their lap they're asking for serious trouble.

Those figures simply arent correct when he played back row. I'd guess those come from some website not watching the games. I've seen pretty much every Hull KR game since he got there and he's started in the back row way more than once. He has often moved from the centers into back row in games as well and vice versa. Not really sure where they get those stats, from but there you go. Could be the age old issue of players having a number regardless of their position in Superleague.

I think for the quoted fee, while not a great player, he's a great value signing.

Those figures simply arent correct when he played back row. I'd guess those come from some website not watching the games. I've seen pretty much every Hull KR game since he got there and he's started in the back row way more than once. He has often moved from the centers into back row in games as well and vice versa. Not really sure where they get those stats, from but there you go. Could be the age old issue of players having a number regardless of their position in Superleague.

I think for the quoted fee, while not a great player, he's a great value signing.
That's from Rugby League Project which draws from the ESL website. From what I've seen, it's pretty accurate. Way more than once? Which games exactly? Also what's way more? 1 more? 2 more? A dozen more?

That's from Rugby League Project which draws from the ESL website. From what I've seen, it's pretty accurate. Way more than once? Which games exactly? Also what's way more? 1 more? 2 more? A dozen more?
I'd say I've seen him in the back row for Hull KR around around a dozen times since he has been there.

I'm not going to lie and can say which games exactly though, i watch a fair bit of footy and i honestly cant remember, but i will do a bit of fact finding about it. I'm sure I can find that out.

I think Centers moving to the ba k row though is going to become more common.

Unread

Active Now

No members online now.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.