Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2025

chatted a bit with rcg at my old job and can confirm he loves it up here and has family and enjoys the camping etc., for what it's worth...

What's the point of Welch or RCG? Props aren't the problem, backrow is.
Having an experienced, rep quality, Flegler-like middle in the team so we don't need to grind Haas and Carrigan into dust over the course of the regular season (especially if one of them goes down injured like this year). People have been melting down about losing Fleg, RCG is close enough to a like for like replacement

Eels have just confirmed RCG will not be with their club in 2025. Signing shooutout between Broncos and Tigers for his signature. RCG will be desperate for a premiership after watching his old Panthers team win 3 in a row. Tigers are no chance of that. I would say almost certain now he will be at Brisbane next season.
I'm ok with RCG, but only at the right price.

If like you say, he's looking at us because we're a better chance for finals, etc. then that should mean we hold the advantage in negotiations and that is the way we should be playing it.

If old mate wants cash go to tigers, but if he wants the chance for finals, etc. then I'm ok for him to come, but only on a good price and contract length.

I am surprised that the dogs aren't in for him... they need middles and a bit of size, so he looks a good option for them.

Having an experienced, rep quality, Flegler-like middle in the team so we don't need to grind Haas and Carrigan into dust over the course of the regular season (especially if one of them goes down injured like this year). People have been melting down about losing Fleg, RCG is close enough to a like for like replacement
I think the biggest problem with this signing is that prop isn't our current biggest weakness. Our biggest weakness at the moment is second row and we are potentially about to sign an international front rower for 500-600k a year which doesn't address the biggest weakness in our side. If anything, the front row rotation is one of our strengths.

I think the biggest problem with this signing is that prop isn't our current biggest weakness. Our biggest weakness at the moment is second row and we are potentially about to sign an international front rower for 500-600k a year which doesn't address the biggest weakness in our side. If anything, the front row rotation is one of our strengths.
I disagree there. I believe our front row has been one of our biggest problems all year. We're let teams run up and through the middle of us and that's made our side conpress in. With our side coming into closer to the middle of the field, it is leaving bigger gaps for our backs and backrows to try and defend. We need bigger middles and more middle rotation going, rather than Haas and Carrigan playing such massive minutes.

I disagree there. I believe our front row has been one of our biggest problems all year. We're let teams run up and through the middle of us and that's made our side conpress in. With our side coming into closer to the middle of the field, it is leaving bigger gaps for our backs and backrows to try and defend. We need bigger middles and more middle rotation going, rather than Haas and Carrigan playing such massive minutes.
So our middle is a problem but we’ve got 2 of the best middles in the comp in our side?

I'm ok with RCG, but only at the right price.

If like you say, he's looking at us because we're a better chance for finals, etc. then that should mean we hold the advantage in negotiations and that is the way we should be playing it.

If old mate wants cash go to tigers, but if he wants the chance for finals, etc. then I'm ok for him to come, but only on a good price and contract length.

I am surprised that the dogs aren't in for him... they need middles and a bit of size, so he looks a good option for them.
We might have to be a bit economical with how much we push 'chance for finals' with our recruitment...certainly wouldn't lead with that as an opening argument.

We might have to be a bit economical with how much we push 'chance for finals' with our recruitment...certainly wouldn't lead with that as an opening argument.
Our chances of finals gets worse the more money he takes from the cap though.

R&R need to be selling to him that if you're coming it has to be at the right price so we don't **** up our cap... further... if he's not ok with that then move to the next.

The club needs to be ruthless and they need to have a plan.

If the player we're trying to recruit is an absolute non-negotiable for the coach to implement his plan and vision, then they have to make it happen... I'm not sure that's the case for RCG.

It seems very odd that the club suddenly has $600k to spend on a front rower... is that in their planned budget for the position or is it an opportunity that has popped up and they're being reactive to it?

For too long they appear to be reactive and not having a plan on how they want to distribute their cap... we get FOMO on every young guy with potential... and then 12-18 months later we look at these anchors in our cap and wondering what happened.

Something has to give and I'm hoping R&R actually have a plan when it comes to contracts, because balance of the squad would suggest there isn't.

I consider Willison to be better than RCG... does giving RCG $600k affect us re-signing Willison??

If so then it absolutely shouldn't go ahead... or it needs to drop in value so it doesnt impact that.

Willison is getting beyond "potential" based on what he showed this year... he's every bit NRL level quality. I think he's a safe risk, but that's probably still a 2yr extension I would suggest for him. If he's killing it at the end of that then he's getting his big pay day.

If you give me a choice between

A) signing RCG on a 2yr, 4-500k plus Parra change deal

Or

B) Welch on $0 for however long he wants

I’m picking option A every time
Parra stated they aren’t paying any freight, if we sign him it will be what he currently is on at 600-650k

RCG has been released from his contract so he will be negotiating a whole new contract for next season.

I don't think the jumping up and down about RCG's salary is that concerning.
For a prop at his age, with a lack of genuine interest from many clubs, we should be getting away with 500k maximum a season.
When you consider Baker is on a reported 300k and will never play first grade for us again, he should be granted a release and then it's nearly a wash from an overall cap perspective. Kobe Hetherington is on a reported 400-450k and he could be shown the door also.

Good business IMO.
Willison + Haas to start
Jensen and RCG the rotation props;
with Marty and Te Kura the back-ups.

Stronger lineup and better cap position.

For a prop at his age, with a lack of genuine interest from many clubs, we should be getting away with 500k maximum a season.
When you consider Baker is on a reported 300k and will never play first grade for us again, he should be granted a release and then it's nearly a wash from an overall cap perspective. Kobe Hetherington is on a reported 400-450k and he could be shown the door also.

Good business IMO.
Willison + Haas to start

Who the **** gave Baker $300k??

I was willing to give him time to adapt to first grade here, because I thought maybe over time he becomes a workhorse Jensen type, but also brings a little bit as he showed with some offloads and try assists.... but $300k for a guy whose ceiling is "solid first grader".... that's just throwing cap space away.

Parra stated they aren’t paying any freight, if we sign him it will be what he currently is on at 600-650k

If they want to get rid of him they may have to carry some of his contract.

If he can't get a deal done with a rival because they can't or won't carry his 650k contract, then the Eels will have to carry 100% of his 2025 contract

Good business IMO.
Willison + Haas to start

I'm going to need a source for that Baker on 300k claim, I've never seen anything reported about his contract value which usually means it's pretty small.

If it's true, maybe we're doing the Roosters thing of inflating contract values when players leave, as there are reports that he wants to return to Sydney

I don't mind RCG but only if another of the middles are going, and of the ones on the books I would probably only be looking at Baker and Tapau for that, maybe Hetherington...I think Hunt and Gos may be worth persisting with at this stage, but it's hard to tell as well.

Why did we resign Tapau if we were in for RCG? I'll echo that it seems the R&R is totally reactionary.

What second rowers could we entice for $600k-ish, given that's clearly our biggest issue (and backup for our backs, Leota isn't ready and I'm not convinced he ever will be, based on what I saw of him this year).

We need to be plugging the gaping holes in the squad, not beefing up areas where we're already doing alright. Is the plan to run with Riki and Peeks with Pat as backup next year? If so the entire R&R dept needs to GTFO yesterday.

What second rowers could we entice for $600k-ish, given that's clearly our biggest issue (and backup for our backs, Leota isn't ready and I'm not convinced he ever will be, based on what I saw of him this year).

We're not allowed to "entice" any unless they're off contract and none of the available backrowers are worth anything near 600k a year.

Our starting second rowers aren't too bad, it's fringe where we need some depth. I though Hunt did ok when he filled in ... And Gos never got a shot, came to the club mid season and got injured only a couple of games in.

Active Now

• Robboi_321
  • Fozz
  • upthebroncs
  • Ghost of Vlansys
  • Johnny92
  • teampjta
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Bucking Beads
  • Battler
  • HVbronco
  • porouian
  • RolledOates
  • johnny plath
  • Griffo
  • Waynesaurus
  • barker
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.