Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2025

My issue with Campbell-Gillard is his defence. He's not the most mobile forward, so players are able to get around him and he'll make soft efforts as a result. If the Broncos are going outside of the system, they'd want to bring somebody who can address this issue, not just sign somebody who is a defensive liability.

If he was offered a lifeline contract, sure, more the merrier but from the reports he's likely going to be offered good money over multiple years. At that point, I'd rather just eat the loss and look to bolster the squad.

He had his chance 3 years ago to do this. Its to late in his career to do this now effectively.
He’s only 30 I think? If he wants to stay on for a low wage just get him training to be a backrower full time. No guarantees he plays but just having him around to push guys at training would be a plus.

My only concern is, what if a really good backrow becomes available in the next 6 weeks that would have been perfect to slot into the team immediately. We wont have any cap space to make it work.

But what if one doesn't become available?

He’s only 30 I think? If he wants to stay on for a low wage just get him training to be a backrower full time. No guarantees he plays but just having him around to push guys at training would be a plus.
Who is going to be felt pushed by Oates? Guy is to lazy to even play Qcup when he isn’t picked in first grade.

If only these issues arose 4 months ago... we should've made a genuine attempt at signing Isaiah Papali'i and could've used Riki/Piakura as a rotation duo on the other edge.

No way we would have the money for him

Is it true that Mat Croker is off contract end of 2024? If so I would give my left nut to bring him here. Exactly the kind of player we need
And saw today that Knights may not he offering him a new contract

Apparently Croker has no interest so if we signed him, he’d have a point to prove too.

But this is the thing, even if we do sign RCG, if we also lose Kobe, Baker and say someone else like Paix, we would still have enough to get a Croker or Haas or someone like that surely. All we need is someone who can defend, don’t need anymore flash.

If we could somehow get Lachlan Fitzgibbon who was suggested a couple of pages back or Frizzell, any of these guys would be great.

Also if Trent wants to bring Lane with him and RCG, I’d be over the moon too.

Just some food for thought:

We clearly need a backrower and some backline depth, would love a metre eating winger...but we also need some starch in the middle. So...

If this opportunity has presented itself and the deal is really good...why shouldn't we do this before filling in the other holes? Or would some of you prefer us to keep sitting on our hands?
So you want us to spend a large amount of the cap, just cuz? And spend this large chunk, then not have enough to sign anybody of quality and sign more plodders like Hunt and Baker?

We should have looked at signing Aitken, Su'a or Tupouniua before they signed deals. I'd be looking into the availability of blokes who's deals finish in 2025 like Nikora and Lucas. Even talking to Souths about sending them a middle for someone like Koloamatangi, who apparently doesn't like playing middle, he'd be the kinda bloke you'd give up a Willison for. Although this is absolute pie in the sky stuff, but shit that goes through my mind as options.
Is there any way Corey Oates can actually be turned into a full time back rower?
No chance. Even when he was quicker and more mobile, he was never skilful enough. I genuinely think the only value he would offer would be as a bench prop if he added 6-8kgs, and that would be a stretch.

So you want us to spend a large amount of the cap, just cuz? And spend this large chunk, then not have enough to sign anybody of quality and sign more plodders like Hunt and Baker?

We should have looked at signing Aitken, Su'a or Tupouniua before they signed deals. I'd be looking into the availability of blokes who's deals finish in 2025 like Nikora and Lucas. Even talking to Souths about sending them a middle for someone like Koloamatangi, who apparently doesn't like playing middle, he'd be the kinda bloke you'd give up a Willison for. Although this is absolute pie in the sky stuff, but shit that goes through my mind as options.

No chance. Even when he was quicker and more mobile, he was never skilful enough. I genuinely think the only value he would offer would be as a bench prop if he added 6-8kgs, and that would be a stretch.

You’re assuming we are paying a large chunk of money if he comes, I’m assuming otherwise. We have all the power here, RCG is a nice get but not a necessity, we hold the power.

You’re assuming we are paying a large chunk of money if he comes, I’m assuming otherwise. We have all the power here, RCG is a nice get but not a necessity, we hold the power.
He is walking away from a big contract, and has had interest from multiple other clubs for 2 year deals.

We aren't getting him cheap. If we can get him for 400k, I'll lick the tip of the bloke who organises it.

I disagree. I reckon he still has decent pace as a backrower. He still makes metres, can still hit in defence and can certainly run a better line than riki.

He is walking away from a big contract, and has had interest from multiple other clubs for 2 year deals.

We aren't getting him cheap. If we can get him for 400k, I'll lick the tip of the bloke who organises it.

Let's say we give him 1.2 million over 3 years and maybe even sneak in a CO for that third year or a trigger, its a great deal...and I reckon we could definitely do it. Even if we front end some of it, it is definitely doable to re-structure his contract in a way it turns out to be a relative bargain.

Let's say we give him 1.2 million over 3 years and maybe even sneak in a CO for that third year or a trigger, its a great deal...and I reckon we could definitely do it. Even if we front end some of it, it is definitely doable to re-structure his contract in a way it turns out to be a relative bargain.
If that happens I'm all for it and will praise the club.

If we sign him for 3 years for 1.6m however, putrid signing.

Active Now

• Dexter
  • broncos4life
  • Evander
  • winslow_wong
  • Brocko
  • Financeguy
  • Totally Unr3al
  • pagey
  • Bucking Beads
  • davidp
  • RolledOates
  • Foordy
  • BruiserMk1
  • azza.79
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.