OFFICIAL Broncos sign Dale Copley

I'm definitely in the "meh" camp over this signing. He's clearly a stopgap for 2021 and nothing more. His signing also categorically rules out Chambers as well for whatever reason, probably because Copley came cheaper for what we needed him for and on one year as well. Copley will want to play well with Staggs casting a shadow over him for most of the year so hopefully that spurs him into some form.

I'm definitely in the "meh" camp over this signing. He's clearly a stopgap for 2021 and nothing more. His signing also categorically rules out Chambers as well for whatever reason, probably because Copley came cheaper for what we needed him for and on one year as well. Copley will want to play well with Staggs casting a shadow over him for most of the year so hopefully that spurs him into some form.

I feel he is a better option than Chambers as he is much cheaper but it certainly isn't a marquee signing that's for sure.

That said, all of our marquee signings of like the last five years have turned out to be terrible:

Milford
Kennedy
Bird
Barba
Boyd

It isn't a good track record.

I think the metres from the back 3 are a majpr issue for us. Oates can definetly do it, he used to be the best in the league at it. Farnworth has energy and may surprise with his metres from the back, but isaako actually had a decent work rate when he was back there initially. Coates is the worry in this department though. He really needs to learn to take the tough run/hit and not run sideways. He has the size and looks to be getting stronger, he just needs the energy and commitment to put the body on the line, he did it a little better origin 2.
This is a particularly underrated component of the common game. You look at the most recent premiership teams and their back 5 have been really good at making hit up metres.

Oates used to be one of the best when teams used to wrestle with him, he would just pile on PCMs, however teams have worked him out, and the first marker usually picks him off with a legs tackle. Then players coming in later to slow the play the ball down.

Copley will want to play well with Staggs casting a shadow over him for most of the year so hopefully that spurs him into some form.
Staggs should play 5/8 on his return anyway, I know he won't have the kicking game yet but he is that dominant runner we need in that position.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, but if you can think of a better person to wear Kahu's injury bib for the year now he's left us then then I'd like to see it.

We also lost Jack Bird too. The rehab group was in slight danger of becoming a more lonely place this year so Copley is actually be a welcome addition.

This is a particularly underrated component of the common game. You look at the most recent premiership teams and their back 5 have been really good at making hit up metres.

Oates used to be one of the best when teams used to wrestle with him, he would just pile on PCMs, however teams have worked him out, and the first marker usually picks him off with a legs tackle. Then players coming in later to slow the play the ball down.
I dont mean to be condescending, but the back 3/5 making meters has always been a major component of the game. This is nothing new, nor is chopping a back 3/5 down by the legs either. We have just been pure shithouse at it for the last 4 years since 2015 that is seems different.

Underwhelmed.....the one thing I like about this signing is the length of the contract....

And thats it.....

Underwhelmed.....

Speedster, lols

Oh well, better than nothing I suppose !

tbf I don't think Copley is a plodder, he is capable of being a solid player, it's just that he is inconsistent and when he was here previously, couldn't catch a cold to save his life.

and the fact is we are kinda short on centre depth with staggs being out for the better part of 2021, so it's not the worst signing, it's just not much to be excited about either.
Hard to add to our Centre depth when he spends most of any given season wearing a rehab bib himself.

Last edited:
He's a good player defensively. Only problem is his injuries and I think he lives up to his name of 'Dale Dropley'

Do tell more, good sir.
I don’t know, I’ve seen others mention that his Twitter is interesting but I don’t have Twitter so I don’t know. Someone said he was pro-Trump etc.

Not that I care as long as he can run, tackle, and catch.

Active Now

• Mustafur
  • broncsgoat
  • Brocko
  • jd87
  • Organix
  • Dash
  • RolledOates
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Sproj
  • Foordy
  • Fozz
  • KateBroncos1812
  • MrTickyMcG
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Broncosgirl
  • Culhwch
  • Battler
  • Galah
  • Harry Sack
... and 8 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.