Broncos sign Jesse Arthars

Gaz

Gaz

NRL Captain
Contributor
Oct 7, 2017

Exclusive: Brisbane Broncos secure deal for rising Gold Coast Titans star Jesse Arthars
Anthony Seibold has raided the Titans and pinched one of the Gold Coast’s most promising talents as his roster of rising young stars continues to grow.
  • July 10, 2019 12:00am
  • by George Clarke
  • Source: FOX SPORTS
Ashley Taylor (left) and Jesse Arthars during a Titans training session

Foxsports.com.au understands that Jesse Arthars will join the Broncos on a two-year deal for 2020.

Arthars’ capture adds to a growing number of highly-acclaimed youngsters at the Broncos, which includes Kotoni Staggs, Thomas Dearden, David Fifita and Payne Haas.

Comfortable anywhere across the backline, New Zealand-born Arthars scored seven tries in as many Queensland Cup games before his NRL debut at the Magic Round.

A Runaway Bay Seagull junior, Arthars first worked with Seibold during his time in the systems of Melbourne and Souths.

Jesse Arthars of the Titans tests the Cowboys’ defence in Round 12

He then switched to the Gold Coast late last year, making the decision to return to Queensland owing to a family bereavement.

Sources at the Titans suggest the club were desperate to keep the Junior Kiwi, offering a three-year contract.

Arthars was keen to remain close to home and was eager to reunite with the Broncos coach when the club made him an offer.

Still just 20, Arthars made his debut for the Titans this year, and has played nine games so far in a side struggling for direction under coach Garth Brennan.

Broncos coach Anthony Seibold is a known admirer of Arthars

The consolation for Titans fans is that the club have signed England centre Kallum Watkins on a two-and-a-half-year contract.

The 25-cap international arrived in the country last week and could debut against Penrith on Friday.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ohh wow! totally out of the blue and unexpected. I personally don't like it as we have plenty of talent in-house. It appears to me that we're now stuffing up the back line aren't we? It used to be the front row stuffing until recently. Not sure why we aren't looking at getting someone at 1/6/7.

Front row:
Lodge, Haas, Joffa, TPJ, Flegler, Carrigan, Palasia, Kennedy, Mago,
Reckon Taga & Fensom won't be here next season.

Back line:
Oates, Coates, Staggs, Bird, Isaako, Kennar, Herbie, Shiba, Peresie, Arthars & who else?

By the looks of it, I reckon we are running at 9 at front row & 10 back line for next season. Hope we won't be suffocating them with lack of opportunities and force them to look elsewhere.

We need depth at 1. If Milf's going to be at 1 long term, use Isaako/Herbie when needed, reckon we're good there too.

In all fairness, let's hope 2 among Tommy/Paix/SOS comes out really good long term and 2 backups if/when needed.

Get rid off Boyd, Andrew and sign a marquee player or continue to develop and upgrade the currently signed as deemed required.

Future looking fooking bright I say.

Last edited:
Another young buck to add to the growing list of youth with great promise. It also means Siebs has another player with loyalties to him. He obviously sees Siebs as a good coach otherwise he'd have taken the three year deal.

When can he play for us?

Why is this coming out through the media?
Surely it’s better if the club announces it first.

If accurate that's not too bad, he was picked as fullback for Residents and pulled out because he made his NRL debut but was having a great year for Bears with Leo. I like him as a fullback not centre.

He caused Dearden all sorts of trouble when Bears played Wynnum early this year.

Went and watched Dearden today against the Bears. His defence was solid and the Bears tested him out. They deliberately ran their forwards wider trying to make him tackle. Page was standing a good three metres wider than normal running at the three and two in area. Page was a good test for him.

Dearden was very good at putting his body there. Arthars tested him early too and had two tries down his side in the first 10 minutes. He was probably too enthusiastic at times and would come up and in too much. Pauga was all lost out there and Dearden should have stayed with him.

I was just thinking I would love the Broncos to get Spry yesterday, he's been great this year but Arthars is a good signing.

Treamen spry would have been much better.

I think he is fairly average tbh.

Last edited:
I'm just glad to hear we have signed a young backline player.

Good times ahead gents :)

yawn.

sign someone good for **** sake.

I don't know too much about him but I guess we could do with some backline depth considering our injuries and so on.

Seems like a weird purchase... He is a centre/winger. In those positions we currently have Bird, Staggs, Oates, Isaako, Coates, Farnsworth, Shibasaki, Perese. All but the last 2-3 would be in front of him you would think, unless someone like Isaako or Bird are being moved on. Surely if all of those players stay he is just a depth option?

Someone like Darius.
I mean that would be ideal, but whether that happens or not, still seems a weird buy. Especially if the Titans were keen to keep him... That would indicate we paid a decent amount... He seems okay in attack but a few times hes seen out of his depth in defence. I dunno. Just seems an odd one with our current squad. Surely one of our backline regulars must be on their way out.

Active Now

• Hurrijo
  • Maddy
  • winslow_wong
  • lynx000
  • Morkel
  • Harry Sack
  • NSW stables
  • cento
  • Wolfie
  • Cavalo
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Allo
  • Santa
  • Fitzy
  • Broncorob
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • pennywisealfie
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Accept
  • Spoon
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.