OFFICIAL Broncos sign John Asiata to one year deal

The Kevolution has officially begun. Next, Brandon Smith.

Cam and Brandon according to Kev (below is from an article on Fox Sports from yesterday)...

Broncos coach Kevin Walters has confirmed the club is interested in signing both Brandon Smith and Cameron Smith from the Storm as he hinted at his plans on a number of big selection calls.​

Cam and Brandon according to Kev (below is from an article on Fox Sports from yesterday)...

Broncos coach Kevin Walters has confirmed the club is interested in signing both Brandon Smith and Cameron Smith from the Storm as he hinted at his plans on a number of big selection calls.​

if you watch the interview, he basically said we would be interested with either of the Smith ... but mainly talked up Brandon

I’m wondering if plans are to play him on an edge? Seems TPJ is set for that 13 role and we’ve got a stacked middle rotation of Haas, Carrigan, Lodge, Flegler. Could see him being used as a John Sutton style second rower.

Kevvie showing his hand here, signing a ballplaying lock.

I feel a more attacking style of football is on the cards in 2021.

Good signing.
The thing I'm liking the most about Walters so far is his constant talk of defence and communication being focuses.
Defence should be by far the largest priority. Th3 thing I like about asiata is variety in the middle, he can hit in defence, and from some reports he's a great bloke (we need more of these given our current teams attitude)

I’m wondering if plans are to play him on an edge? Seems TPJ is set for that 13 role and we’ve got a stacked middle rotation of Haas, Carrigan, Lodge, Flegler. Could see him being used as a John Sutton style second rower.
I'm actually wondering if he will play TPJ on a edge and put Asiata at lock.

TPJ on an edge, with a licence to ballplay also, would be an absolute weapon !!

All depends if TPJ is going to be 'switched on' this season or not [emoji2955] Hopefully Kevvie has him primed and ready to play sensibly.

I can't believe they took what was obviously a tongue in cheek comment and turned it into an article 🤣🤣

Not sure if they used this quote in the article, but in regards to Cameron Smith Kevvie was quoted as saying "Yep, any of the storm players ending in Smith we would be interested in"

NSWRL MEDIA "KEVVIE INTERESTED IN SIGNING CAMERON SMITH!!!!!!!!"

Kevvie showing his hand here, signing a ballplaying lock.

I feel a more attacking style of football is on the cards in 2021.

Good signing.

Yep I think you are spot on, I like it.................. particularly because we don't really have that spark from dummy half. I expect he will also be encouraging TPJ to offload as well.

Thanks goodness, no more Carrigan with 4-5th tackle, mind numbing hit ups.

Been a problem for us since the Josh McGuire days and surprised it has taken Kevin Walters to come in to identify and rectify this.

We have become so predictable with our attack it’s little wonder points were hard to come by. I also hope he gives Lodge a licence to play before the line too. I think many people who know better than I do said that he has that in his game when he was in Q Cup. I do vaguely recall him using a sleight of hand to put someone into space in an NRL game against someone.

Last edited:
For mine John Asiata has already shown his uncanny tactical ability by signing AFTER the Gap Run :happy: ... welcome John.

You would think after our performances in 2020, that won’t be the last time they are made to do that Gap run for season 2021

Lets face it, its difficult for a marquee signing with our cap a mess and coming off the spoon. Finally showing some commitment to overhauling the cap. This is as good a signing as we can hope for.

Active Now

• Wolfie
  • Mr Fourex
  • Fitzy
  • Xzei
  • Foordy
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Harry Sack
  • Cavalo
  • Stix
  • Jazza
  • Galah
  • Broncosgirl
  • Culhwch
  • bazza
  • Broncorob
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Justwin
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.