Broncos sign Matt Lodge on one-year deal

We'll see with Lodge. Reckon he has a screw loose and he'll bottle it again. But I agree he deserves a chance.

He kept it together very well this year on the field. One send off and two citing for sledging him and he had a chirp back but didn't go overboard.

Plenty came for him every week.

He kept it together very well this year on the field. One send off and two citing for sledging him and he had a chirp back but didn't go overboard.

Plenty came for him every week.
Im not worried about his on-field behavour, but what might happen when he no longer flies under the radar and the media has him under the bright lights.
I hope as per Roberts someone is minding him or at least monitoring his lifestyle and off-field time. He's had a year as a nobody in qld cup but NRL brings more than a few temptations: groupies, drugs and heaps of cash.

The back tattoo has made me instantly dislike him........

He'll have to really show something for me to get past that.

http://www.sportingnews.com/au/leag...-wayne-bennett-nrl/1wep5ya59uhq81w1ib29prb18i

Something smells fishy with the Broncos salary cap after controversial prop Matt Lodge rejected a monster deal with Newcastle to stay at Red Hill, according to journalist Phil Rothfield.

Lodge divided opinion last week when Brisbane handed him an NRL lifeline with a reported $85,000 one-year deal as Wayne Bennett plans to use him as his starting prop next season.

The former Tiger admitted he was close to calling it quits after accumulating a massive amount of debt from his lawsuit where he was forced to cough up $1.6 million in damages for assaulting a New York couple.

The hefty bill is the reason why Rothfield can't understand why Lodge wouldn't opt for a lucrative three-year $1.5 million contract with the cash-loaded Knights.

Brown reportedly looked into the services of the out-of-favour front-rower after an impressive year with Brisbane's feeder in the Redcliffe Dolphins, but Lodge chose to repay the favour to the Broncos for giving him a second chance.

But, it's a huge sacrifice that has put question marks on the the Queensland powerhouse's salary cap expenditure.

‘’Now I don’t know what’s happening with the Broncos salary cap and they go and sign him for $100,000,'' Rothfield told Fox Sports' NRL 360.

‘’I’m told he knocked back $400, $500 and $500 (thousand over three years).

‘’You haven’t worked for two years, so he’s taken as you’ve said $85,000, and I’m telling you Newcastle offered him $1.5 (million).

‘’I’m not saying there’s a rort but there’s something sus about it, how a kid who hasn’t earned money for so long, has stayed at the Broncos so cheap.’’

Panellist Andrew Webster butted in with some reasoning for Lodge's lower-paying choice.

‘’Power of one – he wants to go and play for Wayne Bennett,’’ he said.

If Lodge was so troubled by his inability to pay off his debts, the idea of moving to Newcastle could have both solved his financial issues and satisfied his desire to play first grade football.

‘’Theoretically, $1.5 (million) he nearly pays his debt in New York after three years. He at least gets half of it done if he’s sensible,’’ NRL 360 co-host Paul Kent said.

The Broncos have obviously promised him a significant upgrade should he get through this year.

We sign Lodge on a tiny deal and yep, the usual clown comes out and accuses us of rorting. The Roosters come out and sign the Australian halfback on top of a massive purchase in the NSW fullback earlier in the year and nothing but crickets from the same fool.

We sign Lodge on a tiny deal and yep, the usual clown comes out and accuses us of rorting. The Roosters come out and sign the Australian halfback on top of a massive purchase in the NSW fullback earlier in the year and nothing but crickets from the same fool.
Says it all really. Not only did he not question it, he actively wrote about how the Roosters can afford to do it.

Active Now

• Broncosgirl
  • davidp
  • FACTHUNT
  • IceWorks
  • Cavalo
  • Organix
  • Bish
  • lynx000
  • Wolfie
  • Mustafur
  • Broncorob
  • Dash
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Justwin
  • Jazza
  • TonyTheJugoslav
  • PNG Broncos fan88
  • Brocko
  • Harry Sack
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.