OFFICIAL Broncos sign Matt Lodge on one-year deal

Discussion in 'Brisbane Broncos Talk' started by Unbreakable, Nov 4, 2017.

1. upthebroncs

upthebroncs NYC Player

Lodge doesn't even have to pay his debt. It's out of their jurisdiction if he stays in Australia. They can't make him pay it.

2. Jason Simmons

Jason Simmons NRL Player

‘Probably not’ is the best legal answer I can add to this, but it is far from certain that they can’t. There is no international treaty or Australian legislation that allows for the enforcement of American court judgements within Australia true, however there are precedents under common law that ‘could’ allow the plaintiffs in the case to pursue Lodge here for the damages awarded in the US.

Lodge didn’t submit voluntarily to the court’s authority (in fact he didn’t even appear or contest the issue) nor was the US court acting in ‘jurisdiction in the international sense’ (what they might do if a US citizen was suing another US citizen for an act that occurred outside the normal US legal jurisdiction) so it is ‘possible’ an Australian court may refuse to act on the request.

An Australian court may also consider the size of the damages unreasonable in the circumstances (no significant bodily injury or harm was caused afterall it was mostly fear based, from all available reports of the incident) and the plaintiff’s would have to institute further court proceedings against Lodge in Australia at considerable expense with no certain prospect of winning, having to argue the above points to have the original American order recognised and enforced locally.

Should such occur, Lodge with competent legal representation would undoubtedly argue the above points and may also have a natural justice argument open to him, given the extensive differences in sanctions imposed by US courts compared to the likely penalties imposed under Australian law, though his NRL salary and associated income, whatever that may be, may work against him there...

3. roo-ted

roo-ted NYC Player

Shit I didn't realise how many lawyers we have on this forum

4. Nashy

Nashy

Ain't no point living if you aren't learning new things every day.

5. heartly87

heartly87 QCup Player

Rothfield is a sweaty prick. He is either diaphoretic due to alcohol withdrawals or from the filthy lies he spews from his mouth. The level of hatred toward the broncos on 360 is disgraceful. Lodge was treated worse then Packer. If he had signed elsewhere they would of given a redemption story.

6. Sproj

Sproj

So are you saying you are rooted?

Ahh dad jokes.

7. roo-ted

roo-ted NYC Player

First name roo last name Ted

8. Tom

Tom NRL Player

And yet you were trying to claim you weren't a bogan?

Morkel likes this.
  9. roo-ted

roo-ted NYC Player

I wasn't trying to claim anything, I said I never classed myself as one. But after further discussion I thought we came to a conclusion that I was and a fucking classy one at that? Nothing to be ashamed about mate.

Sproj and Tom like this.
  10. Morkel

Morkel

So you drink your cheap wine from a bottle and bought a Berlina instead of a stocko?

11. roo-ted

roo-ted NYC Player

No only XXXX... Can I still be a bogan?

12. Morkel

Morkel

I think the first part already confirmed the second part.

13. roo-ted

roo-ted NYC Player

Excellent! Are you a bogan or are you far to proper?

14. Morkel

Morkel

Way bogan. We swapped engines in our ride-on and cut the exhaust pipe off. I think that qualifies for Australian Of The Year just by itself.

morethenjack likes this.
  15. roo-ted

roo-ted NYC Player

Good job mate, wear your mullet with pride, book that holiday to Bali and wear those bread clips on your thongs

16. Morkel

Morkel

It works y'know.

roo-ted likes this.
  17. Nashy

Nashy

If you bogans could go to another thread, that'd be great.

Porthoz, gordjw and GKDonkey like this.
  18. roo-ted

roo-ted NYC Player

We do what we want mate we are bogans! ...no apologies sir, please continue telling us your legal knowledge

19. BroncsFan

BroncsFan QCup Player

This week's 360 was an absolute broncos bashing. They're not usually that bad, but it was completely one sided this week.

- Started with James Ackerman. There was some mention that NRL needs to take more responsibility and hand out larger suspensions, however they largely hammered broncos for basically not handing Molo an internal ban on his repeat offences
    - They then went to us signing lodge comparing it to why is Todd Carney not allowed to play. No mention of Carney refusing behavioural conditions and no comparison to packer, mau, etc. Who have also been in prison
    - Then just decided to make up a story that we're paying him in paper bags

heartly87 and Locky's Left Boot like this.
  20. Dash

Dash NRL Player

Why would we need to ban him? He was never getting a game for the Broncos.