Broncos sign Matt Lodge on one-year deal

He plead guilty, and even struck a plea deal. That's about as voluntary as it gets.

The plea was in relation to the criminal charges.

The money came from the civil case which he chose not to defend himself and wasn’t present for.

We sign Lodge on a tiny deal and yep, the usual clown comes out and accuses us of rorting. The Roosters come out and sign the Australian halfback on top of a massive purchase in the NSW fullback earlier in the year and nothing but crickets from the same fool.

Plus talk about being able to sign Hayne, SBW, and Chricton. They already have two rep props in their forward pack, a million dollar FB, Keary on an upgraded deal, the nsw captain in the second row, a premiership winning HB (who they claim they can play off the bench), a hooker who has played for aus, multiple juniors on big coin, tupou on overs, Fergo on an upgraded deal, Gordon on the wing...

Never mind all of that, they let go of a couple of blokes on 100-300k!

EDIT: Every single junior they sign from another club who's talented they have to pay overs for. Jniko for example.

I agree with Rothfield, there is something fishy. How does Newcastle still have money to throw around crazily like that?

And this. Teams like the tits, Newie, Tigs, and Canberra are paying stupid overs for blokes who are shit, they lose the right to whinge about us making astute signings.

To the criminal charges, yes. But to the civil case?
Ah yes, that's true. I wonder whether the fact he offered a settlement to the victims counts as some kind of submission (my guess would be no).

No court in Australia is going to make him pay 1.5 mill in civil damages. I would think his barrister is currently working to completely sqaush this monetary judgement in Australia.
Is that your considered legal opinion? What points would you contest, that the judgement was final and conclusive, the parties were identified, the judgement was for a fixed debt, or that the US court appropriately exercised its jurisdiction?

I'm pretty certain it is legally enforceable, even if it wasn't the way Lodge has spoken about it indicates he plans on paying it back.

I call bullshit on the knights deal I just can’t see how no one knew about it and it only come out after we already signed him.

Ah yes, that's true. I wonder whether the fact he offered a settlement to the victims counts as some kind of submission (my guess would be no).

Again, I'm not sure he did offer a settlement. IIRC, the other party went to court, submitted that figure, and with Lodge not there to counter it they were awarded it.

I call bullshit on the knights deal I just can’t see how no one knew about it and it only come out after we already signed him.

I liked the "cash-loaded Knights" comment. Are they? Sure, they got to write off Mullen's contract value and Gagai signed elsewhere, but have signed Ponga, Moga, Ese'Ese, Guerra, Heighington, SKD, and Lillyman among others, all on what appear to be massive overs in order to entice them there. If that's their recruitment strategy then surely they'll run out of cap room soon.

Plus talk about being able to sign Hayne, SBW, and Chricton. They already have two rep props in their forward pack, a million dollar FB, Keary on an upgraded deal, the nsw captain in the second row, a premiership winning HB (who they claim they can play off the bench), a hooker who has played for aus, multiple juniors on big coin, tupou on overs, Fergo on an upgraded deal, Gordon on the wing...

Never mind all of that, they let go of a couple of blokes on 100-300k!

EDIT: Every single junior they sign from another club who's talented they have to pay overs for. Jniko for example.

You're not wrong but a few things to note
- TKO supposedly on <$200k (which is absurd, easily a $500k player and the next closest lock to tmol there is)
- Aubusson apparently on massive unders
- Liu likely on massive unders
- Gordon took a pay cut likely because he knew the team would be competitive next year and it looks good if he's starting for them
- Their next centre is manu (who'd be on cheap)
- fergo was being low balled likely because roosters didn't want him, but the origin stuff came out and all of a sudden his options dried up and he took the roosters deal.
- Tupou was also being low balled and was being pushed out until he had a big form change half way through the year. His options were limited most of the year (outside of knights) so probably took some unders to stay with a competitive team.
- Latrell was a high price junior but I think he has yet to be upgraded since starting NRL??
- JWH is hardly a regular rep player and is probably one of the few on overs. I'd say roosters will look to rectify this next contract
- Tetevano was their prop depth and on minimal coin
- Keary unsure what he signed for but apparently won't accept the extension put forward due to it being unders. Potential candidate for getting pushed

- Guerra was a regular origin player when last signed. I think he was pushed out but was probably on $400-500k
- SKD rightly or wrongly was on pretty decent coin starting about 5yrs ago so probably still on $300-400k
- Evans was given a decent upgrade his last deal

That's a large chunk of their team covered and a couple things become apparent with their approach:
- if you're depth or surplus they will just low ball in the hope of keeping them tupou, Keary, fergo
- They are willing to dry up your first grade chances to limit your options (Guerra). I think they're doing similar to TKO, Manu, Liu, etc. by limiting their starting chances and/or time on the field. To lock them in long term
- They put their promising juniors on extended contracts to control cap (Latrell, Manu and even Jnik)
- if you're not earning your cash they'll cut and run Evans, SKD, Jnik, Guerra, Hastings, Napa, etc. Knowing you will go to another team if you're not getting a game or offered unders
- they have a plan when it comes to depth signings. Tetevano provides a hard nosed prop without breaking the bank. Lots of players on unders that make up their 17 each week aubo, liu and TKO
- their depth is very limited given Manu is next drop for outside backs and juniors are next inline in the forwards.

It all looks dodgey as hell from the outside but they are just playing the game. I'd imagine it would be an awful place to be when you're on the outer and being pushed or offered unders.

Have to remember this team was also battling for the spoon 2 years ago without Pearce. They probably used that time to lock guys in on the cheap.

I liked the "cash-loaded Knights" comment. Are they? Sure, they got to write off Mullen's contract value and Gagai signed elsewhere, but have signed Ponga, Moga, Ese'Ese, Guerra, Heighington, SKD, and Lillyman among others, all on what appear to be massive overs in order to entice them there. If that's their recruitment strategy then surely they'll run out of cap room soon.

They still have a long way to go, you have to spend 95% of your cap which is 8.93 million. They're no where near that with those players.

He was made offers when he was keen to go back to Sydney.

They still have a long way to go, you have to spend 95% of your cap which is 8.93 million. They're no where near that with those players.
I always thought this was the case. It renders the Roosters '650k under last year' justification as total and utter bullshit.

You're not wrong but a few things to note
- TKO supposedly on <$200k (which is absurd, easily a $500k player and the next closest lock to tmol there is)
- Aubusson apparently on massive unders
- Liu likely on massive unders
- Gordon took a pay cut likely because he knew the team would be competitive next year and it looks good if he's starting for them
- Their next centre is manu (who'd be on cheap)
- fergo was being low balled likely because roosters didn't want him, but the origin stuff came out and all of a sudden his options dried up and he took the roosters deal.
- Tupou was also being low balled and was being pushed out until he had a big form change half way through the year. His options were limited most of the year (outside of knights) so probably took some unders to stay with a competitive team.
- Latrell was a high price junior but I think he has yet to be upgraded since starting NRL??
- JWH is hardly a regular rep player and is probably one of the few on overs. I'd say roosters will look to rectify this next contract
- Tetevano was their prop depth and on minimal coin
- Keary unsure what he signed for but apparently won't accept the extension put forward due to it being unders. Potential candidate for getting pushed

- Guerra was a regular origin player when last signed. I think he was pushed out but was probably on $400-500k
- SKD rightly or wrongly was on pretty decent coin starting about 5yrs ago so probably still on $300-400k
- Evans was given a decent upgrade his last deal

That's a large chunk of their team covered and a couple things become apparent with their approach:
- if you're depth or surplus they will just low ball in the hope of keeping them tupou, Keary, fergo
- They are willing to dry up your first grade chances to limit your options (Guerra). I think they're doing similar to TKO, Manu, Liu, etc. by limiting their starting chances and/or time on the field. To lock them in long term
- They put their promising juniors on extended contracts to control cap (Latrell, Manu and even Jnik)
- if you're not earning your cash they'll cut and run Evans, SKD, Jnik, Guerra, Hastings, Napa, etc. Knowing you will go to another team if you're not getting a game or offered unders
- they have a plan when it comes to depth signings. Tetevano provides a hard nosed prop without breaking the bank. Lots of players on unders that make up their 17 each week aubo, liu and TKO
- their depth is very limited given Manu is next drop for outside backs and juniors are next inline in the forwards.

It all looks dodgey as hell from the outside but they are just playing the game. I'd imagine it would be an awful place to be when you're on the outer and being pushed or offered unders.

Have to remember this team was also battling for the spoon 2 years ago without Pearce. They probably used that time to lock guys in on the cheap.

If they can manage their roster and stay under the cap with their recruitments/ recruitment strategy (signing massive name players like Cronk and SBW, along with blokes like Teddy) then good for them. I'm just sick and tired of hearing about how blatantly over the cap we are when clubs like the Roosters, Cows, and Sharks go around spending big bickies at will with stacked rosters.

Nearly as fishy as his maths. Somehow 400,000+500,000+500,000=1,500,000?

That’s alright, on the same show they said Lodge owed $2m. Somehow USD$1.23m in damages is now ‘$2m’ that he somehow owes.

When it comes to the Broncos it is completely made up sh*t to paint us in the worse possible light and if they can’t understand the Lodge situation for what it is, then it shows they are about as good at journalism as they are at maths (which is to say: awful).

Lodge clearly has a heavily back-ended offer. The first 12 months is a trial. Continue your rehab, demonstrate your ability in NRL and there is money waiting for you. Go crazy again and you will be gone for good.

I think a few people are missing the point here. There is no point justifying lodges decision when.

No one knows how much he is getting paid or how much the offer (or even if they did at all) is from the knights was. The only "source" anyone has is slothfield...

And I'm no expert in law but wouldn't damages be minorly dependent on the accused persons income? If he was going to get a retrial (or whatever it is) the judge wouldn't give a shit how sorry he was if he is earning "$500,000" a year...

With all this talk about having to spend 95% of your cap, how did the Roosters have $1million spare?

Active Now

• Allo
  • Morkel
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Xzei
  • Foordy
  • eggstar10
  • GCBRONCO
  • MrMoore
  • kiwibronco
  • Jazza
  • Fozz
  • Justwin
  • ezpz
  • RodF
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Redux
  • broncs30
  • marw
  • Strop
... and 13 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.