Broncos sign Pangai Jr for 2017

T

talanoa

NRL Player
Jan 16, 2014
At this stage of the season, I would have preferred it if Tevita had have stayed in Canberra.

I can't see him getting a look in until later in the year and even then, I struggle to see it as anything more than a cameo especially if it's a second tier deal. As a result, he'll find himself in exactly the same place he found himself in Canberra where he obviously grew frustrated since he saw himself as a first grade talent.

Also, I wouldn't want him in the first grade side at this point. Right now he reeks too much of Dave Taylor to me, where he's too skillful for his own good.

Basically, I just think it puts everyone in an awkward situation and it isn't as ideal as it would have been in 2017.

thats pretty well thought out bp, i reckon you have pretty well summed it up. i
i personally dont see the need for him, especially with the likes of sua, timu and fai providing plenty of depth and i rate sua and timu ahead of this guy (plus they will be on a lot less cash in 2017 than pangai)

Sirlee oldman

Sirlee oldman

NRL Player
Dec 6, 2015
I think he's a great long term prospect for the club so I am happy to get him here and settled in as soon as possible. It doesn't really matter if he plays 1st grade this year or not since we didn't expect to get him until next year anyway but I suspect we will see him during State of Origin. Having Ese'ese, Joe, Timu, Sua and Fai as well just means there will be hot competition for spots and that is a good thing.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
I understand where you're coming from Sirlee Oldman, and I'm sure the club agrees with your assessment but I don't think it's as nice a coup as it appears on paper.

It doesn't really matter if he plays 1st grade this year or not since we didn't expect to get him until next year anyway but I suspect we will see him during State of Origin.

It doesn't matter from a Broncos perspective, but considering he left Canberra to receive a proper path in first grade, I can't see him being happy to bide his time and settle in before being given a shot.

In the perfect scenario, he comes in, kills it at ISC and forces his way onto the bench but given where he's at, I think the transition is going to be more difficult which could be a problem.

Having Ese'ese, Joe, Timu, Sua and Fai as well just means there will be hot competition for spots and that is a good thing

That's actually another issue I have with it. I'm going to throw all sense of modesty out the window here and tell it like it is, the Broncos are a premiership team. Anything less is going to be seen as a failure so they really can't afford to spend too much time developing these up and coming players if they want to be premiers this season. Adding another player, especially somebody as raw as Pangai Jr into the mix just creates another hassle.

Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay

QCup Player
Jun 5, 2013
Injuries could get much, much worse than last year where we were probably only missing an average of 1 of our best 17 per game. If nothing else, it's great to have so much depth with considerable upside in case we suffer a more Panthery fate in 2016.

Financeguy

Financeguy

NRL Player
Apr 24, 2013
An extra year to acclimatise to the club, culture and players can only be a good thing imo. We are not a bush league club, im sure expectations for 2016 have been clearly communicated and set to Pangai Jr. Just the extra time training with the guys he will eventually play next to is a positive.

I doubt he will be any more frustrated here in 2016 than he would have been had he stayed in Canberra another season who, quite rightly, had no further need to develop him.

T

talanoa

NRL Player
Jan 16, 2014
im hearing that pangai will most likely start in the 20's, not sure what feeder club he will play with yet though if he gets called into cup. i reckon there would be a few keen on him though!

Danoz Direct

Danoz Direct

NRL Captain
Oct 12, 2013
Former Canberra Raider Tevita Pangai says he left the club to join Brisbane "on great terms" and is thankful they have found a ready-made replacement in Newcastle recruit Joseph Tapine.

Pangai signed with the Broncos last month for 2017 and 2018, but Canberra granted him an early release last week after they snared Tapine a year earlier than expected.

It means both clubs will be pleased with the outcome and Pangai is content to bide his time behind Brisbane's star-studded pack.

The 20-year-old Junior Kangaroo failed to break into first grade at Canberra and admitted he is still learning the professionalism it takes to succeed at the top level.

"Yeah, that's what I'm working on [professionalism]. I've just got to work hard and be patient and when the time comes hopefully I'll be ready," Pangai said.

"I'm still young for a prop, the likes of Paul Vaughan and Shannon Boyd are going really well now and I've still got a year [of eligibility for] under-20s.

"I'll just take my time and learn what I've got to do off the field to be an elite athlete."

Tapine and Pangai are similar players – big, powerful, agile and the ability to play in the back row or the middle third.

"I'm happy for the club [Canberra] – they signed a good player too, there's no loss for them," Pangai said.

"Like Don [Furner, Raiders CEO] said in the media, there's probably other issues why I've come up here and I'm just happy we finished on good terms."

Pangai came through the ranks as a back rower but has the build to play in the front row.

He is looking forward to learning from Queensland Origin forwards at Brisbane including Corey Parker, Sam Thaiday and Matt Gillett.

"There's no doubt they're a force. They've got a lot of depth in the forward pack and that will help me prepare to the best of my ability every day at training," he said.

"I'll have to be on my game every day with the competition up here. I'm looking forward to it.

"I'm not too sure where I see my best spot at the moment, I'm just happy to play anywhere in the forwards.

"Sticky [Raiders coach Ricky Stuart] put me in the front row and it's good to learn both positions. I'm just excited to start a new journey."

Tevita Pangai thankful Canberra Raiders have found replacement in Joe Tapine

Last edited by a moderator:

Active Now

• Harry Sack
  • Alec
  • Old Mate
  • Wolfie
  • Bucking Beads
  • Horseheadsup
  • broncsgoat
  • BroncosAlways
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Santa
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Jedhead
  • Financeguy
  • Morkel
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.