Broncos sign Raiders Scout

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
THE Broncos have delivered a major body blow to the Raiders by poaching the scout who steered Queensland young guns Josh Papalii and Anthony Milford to Canberra. Souths Logan officials are considering legal action after Brisbane-based Brian Edwards resigned on Wednesday to take up a development role with the Broncos.
The move has also gone down like a lead balloon with the Raiders, who have been drip-fed Souths Logan's best emerging talent for the past decade via their links with Edwards.
But those links have now been formally severed, giving the Broncos a huge advantage in the turf war for the cream of Brisbane's rugby league grassroots talent.
Edwards is rated one of the NRL's best development officers, with the veteran scout having spotted Papalii and Milford in the Broncos' backyard before steering them to Canberra.
Canberra's Queensland under-20s winger Edrick Lee was also plucked from the Logan region, as were Raiders club legends Mal Meninga, Gary Belcher and Steve Walters.
The Raiders' fight with Brisbane for elite young talent intensified earlier this year after the Broncos unveiled plans to establish a high-performance junior academy in Logan.
Ironically, Edwards' recruitment shifts the balance of power in the Milford tug-of-war towards the Broncos.
Just six weeks ago, Edwards took aim at the Broncos after News Corp exclusively revealed Milford would exercise a get-out clause in his Canberra contract to return to his sick father in Brisbane.
But with Edwards now aligning himself with the Broncos, the highly-credentialed scout is almost certain to steer Milford towards Red Hill.
"I think it would be far too much for Anthony Milford to steer any team around from the halfback position, in any NRL team, in 2014," Edwards said in July when reports of Milford wanting out first surfaced.
"He's developing as a footballer but in terms of putting that expectation on him, I just can't believe a kid could be placed in that position.
"The Broncos are going through a tough period, but I know [coach] Anthony Griffin and he wouldn’t be bringing a kid in at that age to get an NRL side around the paddock.
"Would you want to come to Brisbane, a one-team town and be the saviour at halfback at his age?"
The Broncos have been pilloried for their recruitment decisions in recent years. Just recently, the club overlooked Queensland Cup player-of-the-year Cody Walker and rookie-of-the-year Cameron Munster, who both ended up joining Melbourne.
But the acquisition of Edwards gives the Broncos a major recruiting weapon in the quest to reprise their premiership glory years.

No Cookies | Herald Sun

Last edited:
This seems to be good news. Another positive and along with the emerging superstar Oates gives me hope for 2014 and beyond.

About time we signed up someone because our scouts are among the worst in the business.

We need to go further. Start a Centre of Excellence in Queanbeyan, see how the Raiders like it.

Souths have been there since 1910 and linked to the Raiders since early 80's. Well before the Broncos.

Last edited:
That's what I'm fucking talking about - this club getting back to its fiesty old self.. God knows we've been 'door mats' for long enough, it's about time we said '**** you' to the world in a few ways... Because they sure hate our guts

Souths Logan are considering legal action for the Raiders?

Souths have been there since 1910 and linked to the Raiders since early 80's. Well before the Broncos.

Been in QBN since 1910, or Logan?

Either way, while it's good that the Raiders spend money developing the game, I'd be much happier if it was our team investing and reaping the rewards in our own backyard. Don't particularly care if we piss off other clubs, the whole point is to win.

Must've seen the writing on the wall with the Logan Broncos Junior Rugby League Academy.

Suck it Raiders, suck a big fat one :finger:

What a terrible year for the Raiders. Their club is falling apart around them.

I feel for the fans but really their club is a prime example as to why off-field discipline is so important. They let the rot sink in too long and it's bit them in the bum big time.

They can bounce back from this, and I hope they do because they have a fantastic catchment of junior players. However, they need to make some big decisions and start fresh. The fact they haven't mounted a serious challenge since the 90s speaks volumes.

Active Now

• Sproj
  • Pablo
  • bert_lifts
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Hurrijo
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Midean
  • Stix
  • Painin the Haas
  • Fitzy
  • Foordy
  • mitch222
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.