Broncos sign Sam Tagataese

mitch222

mitch222

State of Origin Captain
Apr 4, 2014
THE NRMA Insurance Broncos have added some size and experience to their middle forward rotation with a surprise signing this morning.
Premiership-winning prop Sam Tagataese has joined the Broncos on a one-year deal in a move that will add depth to the NRL squad.
He trained with his new teammates for the first time this morning.
Tagataese has played with the Storm, Titans and Sharks, winning the 2016 Grand Final with Cronulla.
He has 168 games of NRL experience, and at 193cms and 110kg will give the Broncos another weapon in the middle after losing both Adam Blair and Herman Ese’ese in the off-season.
Samoan international Tagataese said he was excited to join the Broncos, especially as it will be his first time working under Wayne Bennett.
"I am definitely excited especially as my partner is from Brisbane, and when I first moved to Australia I lived in Brisbane," he said.
"I actually haven't (met Bennett before) but I am definitely looking forward to it.
"I have heard so many good things about him, and just look at his record.
"And as my father-in-law said, he is a master coach.
"I am looking to getting the best out of myself at this point of my career and being coached by a great coach."
The Broncos have also confirmed they released David Mead yesterday to take up a three-year deal with the Catalans Dragons in the English Super League.

It’s good to have another big body prop in our squad who will be very close to the top 17.

Not a bad depth signing if nothing else. Quite unexpected though.

Squad is looking good. Just need that utility player now

I heard the Tagatese rumour a couple weeks ago and was surprised by it. What I have always got from him was someone who looks the part but what you actually get is extremely underwhelming. Will no doubt play a major part in the ISC grind.

I heard the Tagatese rumour a couple weeks ago and was surprised by it. What I have always got from him was someone who looks the part but what you actually get is extremely underwhelming. Will no doubt play a major part in the ISC grind.

Surely he'll contribute more than Kennedy?

Don't get it to be honest.

Even if a spot opens up in the 17 due to an injury I'd prefer our younger fringe first graders get a gig

Thought this guy was a weapon in 2014 but since then he has been pretty invisible.
From memory he's a big fast lad too, hopefully Wayne gets him firing again.
I'd probably rather this guy in the front row than Thaiday...

Well that came out of nowhere.

Okay enough with the forwards, we're a bit spoiled for choice at the moment. We need a controlling half.

apathy.gif

He brings experience, leadership. Something our younger guys lack.

He'll be a good addition to our depth, which we did need in the front row because we've lost too much experience in that department.

The young guys are good, but they lack experience. They don't know how to handle the weekly grind of the NRL.

Sam won't have that problem. He was quite good for the Sharks.

He's been poor the last 2 seasons, but that's been primarily due to injury, he had a shoulder thing in 2016 and a calf thing in 2017. If he can get healthy he'll be a valuable bench forward through the Origin period and possibly cracks our best 17 at some point throughout the season if any of Lodge/Ofa/Sims are out of sorts.

1 year deal boys, same type of thing as Benji last season, nothing to lose, if he stinks he'll play QCUP and provide some good experience at training for the young boys.

This is pretty spot on description for taga. Came into the league not unlike NAS has and was touted as a huge prospect, but has never ever progressed.

In my opinion I believe he is now on a serious decline and I hope he does not become a regular fixture in the 17, because it'll likely mean we're having a very lean year and he is undeservingly getting picked on experience alone.

Happy to be wrong but I do not like this signing in the slightest.

This is pretty spot on description for taga. Came into the league not unlike NAS has and was touted as a huge prospect, but has never ever progressed.

In my opinion I believe he is now on a serious decline and I hope he does not become a regular fixture in the 17, because it'll likely mean we're having a very lean year and he is undeservingly getting picked on experience alone.

Happy to be wrong but I do not like this signing in the slightest.

If he is good he will be in the 17, if not he won’t. Pretty simple stuff really. He is a one year base contract. Depth. Be calm.

He brings experience, leadership. Something our younger guys lack.

He'll be a good addition to our depth, which we did need in the front row because we've lost too much experience in that department.

The young guys are good, but they lack experience. They don't know how to handle the weekly grind of the NRL.

Sam won't have that problem. He was quite good for the Sharks.

Agreed.

He will be good for us.

The younger forwards might not step up next season so having another experienced prop on the books is good insurance.

I also agree that he played very well for the Sharks, really tightening up the middle of the ruck.

Unread

Active Now

• Fozz
  • BroncsNBundy
  • Culhwch
  • Lurker
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.