Broncos test positive for COVID

Sixteen of the 38 players, plus three football staff, are now banned from training for at least 7 days due to testing positive.

Donuts said everyone is vaxxed up:

“Our main concern is the health, safety and wellbeing of our players and staff, and we are fully focused on ensuring they are looked after while isolating. The Covid testing measures are in place to protect our people and our program and these results show that the system is working. These cases have been picked up early, allowing us to deal with them promptly and effectively, and then move forward with our pre-season."

“We’ve taken a proactive approach to managing this challenge, which will have many turns over the coming season. Our goal as a club is to tackle each challenge as they arise. As the spread of Covid grows across the community, we will continue to work closely with our players, staff, the NRL and the Queensland Government.”

“Sixteen of the 38 players due to train today have returned positive tests, as well as three staff members in the football department. They are presently obeying the Queensland Government’s health and safety protocols and are isolating at home for the mandatory seven-day period. Following isolation, they will be able to return if they have not shown symptoms for the previous 48 hours.”
Wow that’s pretty crazy. If all the boys fully recover within the 7 days it actually probably is a bit of a blessing in disguise.

Hopefully it goes through the team and then they can all focus on getting ready for the season without disruption when it matters.
Wow that’s pretty crazy. If all the boys fully recover within the 7 days it actually probably is a bit of a blessing in disguise.
I think it's reasonable to assume the entire club has been exposed now, and if they don't all test positive in the next few days then the vaccines have done their job. It's an interesting petri dish. These guys are all up in each others face at work so there's no hiding from it. If no more cases come through that should be a yardstick for vaccine efficacy.

It'll also be interesting to see what percentage express symptoms. By next week, we're going to have a much better idea of what we're dealing with here.

I wouldn't like to say getting it is going to be great for their long term health, but from a purely selfish perspective Omicron shouldn't impact our season much. Especially if most of them don't get sick from it.

Just as an aside. Will the NRL ask the players to refrain from spitting large mouthfuls of spit during matches? It's a terrible look on TV and not the best modelling for our kids in this present climate.

Had my boy go into a seizure from a flu fever when he was about 1. We were half an hour from anywhere on 100km roads. Fucking scary. Eyes rolled back…
Shit that's rough. Febrile convulsions, hopefully he grew out of them and has no further issue. Interestingly they usually run in the family, you or your partner may have had them also as a child.

How do other sports handle it? Tennis for instance is more restrained, but the do have a lot of access to their bench between games. Cricket, carry a handkerchief. NBA, access to bench and short bursts of game time.
I've never paid that much attention to other sports to be honest. I know in soccer there is a lot of it too.

Few more names for you. They're saying 19 players and staff are out:

KEVVIE WALTERS
Payne Haas
Kurt Capewell
Jamayne Isaako
Herbie Farnworth

I have to spit when running. Fairly regularly.

black comedy GIF
I'm with her/him.

Good news for the rest of society
While you're there, if you could please ask your wife to quit hitting on me. Tell her it's never going to happen.

Billy Walters looking like good money to be captain in round 1.

Spotted still standing:

Reynolds
Oates
Kelly
Staggs
Gamble

Oates:

“The world’s changed quickly and we’ve got to adapt now. I love the NFL and have been watching a fair bit of that. They’ve had to adapt really well to it. They test every day, players are in and out, games are moved. It’s about adapting. We’ve done it well the last few years. It’s another hurdle to get over. We’ve got to work with the governments with the rules and do what we can to keep our game going and everyone safe."

“Last year everyone thought it was getting better and then we’ve just been smacked with another variant. It’s just all about adapting. Whatever the NRL decides to do, we’ve got to deal with it and move on. Everyone is dealing with the same thing. We aren’t special people with special treatment.”

“It’s pretty lucky our halves combinations are still together. The blokes that have come in have jelled really well. They fit in straight away."

“It is unfortunate this has happened and we’ve got a couple out, but they’ve adapted well to the way we play. We could lose a half here and there but we’ve got to deal with it. There’s not much we can do. If we stick to the same structures and way the coaches want to play, it shouldn’t matter a lot.”

Active Now

• kiwibronco
  • Foordy
  • teampjta
  • Xzei
  • Browny
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.