NEWS Broncos, Titans told to step up and ensure game is not forgotten in Brisbane’s western corridor

You said AFL is rubbish (I have substituted the word you used).

Regardless, looking at what is happening right now is only part of the story, more importantly is looking at trends and this article is quite interesting in terms of that:

Now additionally, the AFL GF has outrated the NRL GF for a few years now, again the AFL is growing rapidly.

Obviously I don't have figures for Ipswich and have no idea where to find them but a couple of things to keep in mind, AFL's Austag as far as I am aware has a stronger foothold in school there than rugby league. Additionally, the AFL season being run in Qld the last two seasons has been huge for the AFL, made worse for the NRL by the fact the Lions have been very good during this period and the Broncos have been putrid. This may not show up immediately, it will likely take 5+ years to show up but regardless, a lot of damage has been done to league in this time.

Just so we are clear, I WANT the NRL to be successful, I just really fear the fact that the NRL has done little to grow the game at grassroot level for too long and the damage may already be done.
I don't disagree the NRL has been shit. I have said this probably hundreds of times for years now, I'm extremely vocal about their ineptitude and insular non-growth strategies. They continue to be. No argument there, don't know why you are making out I am saying otherwise tbh.

The old auskick stats... heard them ALOT living in western Sydney. A LOT. Whilst it is a good initiative it is not and sho u ld not be used as evidence of growth, western Sydney is an actual case study of this point. I played AFL in school (made the zone squad lol, and our team made the state semi and went undefeated locally lol 2 of us played afl b4 but we were tall haha) bcos there was no league or union, we were practically forced into it as young boys wanting to tackle. Auskick are school programs that schools are paid for by the AFL to introduce the game, it does not take a fan or make a fan to participate anymore then it means you are going to buy a house because you look at it's real estate.com ad. And in any case, a report in 2013 BY THE AFL identified that the AFL were inflating figures in western Sydney in its participation (easy to do given no registration is needed) to get increased funding from the government for fields lol. I've heard all the auskick BS, good initiative like I said, but nothing more then a little intro that most kids will forget about in a year.

I don't disagree the NRL has been shit. I have said this probably hundreds of times for years now, I'm extremely vocal about their ineptitude and insular non-growth strategies. They continue to be. No argument there, don't know why you are making out I am saying otherwise tbh.

The old auskick stats... heard them ALOT living in western Sydney. A LOT. Whilst it is a good initiative it is not and sho u ld not be used as evidence of growth, western Sydney is an actual case study of this point. I played AFL in school (made the zone squad lol, and our team made the state semi and went undefeated locally lol 2 of us played afl b4 but we were tall haha) bcos there was no league or union, we were practically forced into it as young boys wanting to tackle. Auskick are school programs that schools are paid for by the AFL to introduce the game, it does not take a fan or make a fan to participate anymore then it means you are going to buy a house because you look at it's real estate.com ad. And in any case, a report in 2013 BY THE AFL identified that the AFL were inflating figures in western Sydney in its participation (easy to do given no registration is needed) to get increased funding from the government for fields lol. I've heard all the auskick BS, good initiative like I said, but nothing more then a little intro that most kids will forget about in a year.
Auskick is club football. Schools, at least here in Sydney have AFL as PSSA. its fine to not like the sport, I couldn't care less, but geez you really don't like to the point of unhinged paranoia, it's like AFL backed over your favourite dog.
all based on limited experience of a few games in high school

Auskick is club football. Schools, at least here in Sydney have AFL as PSSA. its fine to not like the sport, I couldn't care less, but geez you really don't like to the point of unhinged paranoia, it's like AFL backed over your favourite dog.
all based on limited experience of a few games in high school

That's just one of the articles pointing out it's made up figures. It's an introductory program run by volunteers aimed at school kids. They literally made up participation numbers. Disgusting when you consider some of the poverty in Western Sydney. You would remember this if you lived in Western Sydney when the afl got millions of tax payer dollars for fields that are empty every weekend you drive by them.

That's just one of the articles pointing out it's made up figures. It's an introductory program run by volunteers aimed at school kids. They literally made up participation numbers. Disgusting when you consider some of the poverty in Western Sydney. You would remember this if you lived in Western Sydney when the afl got millions of tax payer dollars for fields that are empty every weekend you drive by them.
2012 ha! Seriously though. Let's leave it there. You can't see any value in AFL. And I don't care enough to argue with you. AFL is great.

The issue would be that we have 3 feeders already.

Souths Logan must be kept... we lost that nursery to Canberra and they brought through a ton of talent (Papa, Milf, etc.)

Wynnum Manly has been a staple feeder for us for several years

Norths may be the one that could be replaced.... I think we used to have them, then they went to Melbourne, but we have them again. I'd be slightly hesitant about dumping them though as I think they are a reasonable nursery.

Ipswich absolutely must be brought into the fold though... I'm just not sure how
I would toss Norths and wynnum(even though as clubs they tend to be better in Qcup) and take Ipswich and steal Burleigh from Titans.

Ipswich like Logan is prime area to find the best kids and having a club in Gold coast is crucial as they have the best RL schools in the country with Kebra and Park Beach.

I would toss Norths and wynnum(even though as clubs they tend to be better in Qcup) and take Ipswich and steal Burleigh from Titans.

Ipswich like Logan is prime area to find the best kids and having a club in Gold coast is crucial as they have the best RL schools in the country with Kebra and Park Beach.
I think we'd be Buckley's of getting Burleigh... I think our approach with GC kids is to let them stay in their junior team through MM, etc. but when they hit top 30 we move them into one of the feeders. By the time they move into our feeder team they're over 18 and graduated from school so it becomes a fulltime professional gig for them.

I recall Coates played MM with Tweed Seagulls despite being one of our promising juniors.

I think one thing we let slip was Marsden High... did I see something over the last 12 months that they have affiliated with GC??

I believe Marsden is located in Logan and should absolutely be one of the schools that we maintain a direct pathway for... we need to take back Logan, because GC have turned their attention to Keebra Park and PBC.

Cant let them get a hold of all the league schools in SEQ.

I think we'd be Buckley's of getting Burleigh... I think our approach with GC kids is to let them stay in their junior team through MM, etc. but when they hit top 30 we move them into one of the feeders. By the time they move into our feeder team they're over 18 and graduated from school so it becomes a fulltime professional gig for them.

I recall Coates played MM with Tweed Seagulls despite being one of our promising juniors.

I think one thing we let slip was Marsden High... did I see something over the last 12 months that they have affiliated with GC??

I believe Marsden is located in Logan and should absolutely be one of the schools that we maintain a direct pathway for... we need to take back Logan, because GC have turned their attention to Keebra Park and PBC.

If thats the case it's unacceptable, we have the resources to make every team in the area bend to our will and we are just giving them keys the castle.

Didn't we only recently in the last few years lose our affliation with Burleigh as well, I would argue that's probably the best club in Qcup to be in affliation with because those GC schools are already plucking the best from SEQ as it is, having it all in one area makes it easier to manage.

Junior Rugby League in sydney is by and large run independently of the NRL.

With pretty much every NRL / Leagues club bar easts running their own junior competition. Those competitions are administered by the NSWRL.

Now whether that is the best way to go about things is a different argument.

AFL pretty much control all their competitions and juniors go through their draft system.

For the NRL to take over the talent would have to be shared amongst all the NRL clubs - I am not sure that works in the broncos favour. They still have a massive competitive advantage in the access to juniors they have.

The reason why the responsibility falls to brisbane or potentially the dolphins is, they can not only get players that should stick with them but they also grow their own supporter base. If little kids have the bronco badge on their junior jersey that can only help.

You saw canberra with souths logan which got us papa, milf, TPJ with the latter two being more effort then they were worth and only papa staying, plus unlike the broncos you arent really going to get supporters out of that area.

Sooner or later the broncos may wish to administer / foster their own junior league, which has been pretty much part and parcel of rugby league everywhere forever...

Marsden has a link to the Broncos and Souths Logan.

If thats the case it's unacceptable, we have the resources to make every team in the area bend to our will and we are just giving them keys the castle.

Didn't we only recently in the last few years lose our affliation with Burleigh as well, I would argue that's probably the best club in Qcup to be in affliation with because those GC schools are already plucking the best from SEQ as it is, having it all in one area makes it easier to manage.

Bears had brief link to the Broncos for one year in 2008. Bears have been with Titans since 07.

Marsden has a link to the Broncos and Souths Logan.
The below is the one I was thinking of... can recall marketting photos with Mal and Cam Smith

Screenshot 20211019 171612 Chrome

Junior Rugby League in sydney is by and large run independently of the NRL.

With pretty much every NRL / Leagues club bar easts running their own junior competition. Those competitions are administered by the NSWRL.

Now whether that is the best way to go about things is a different argument.

AFL pretty much control all their competitions and juniors go through their draft system.

For the NRL to take over the talent would have to be shared amongst all the NRL clubs - I am not sure that works in the broncos favour. They still have a massive competitive advantage in the access to juniors they have.

The reason why the responsibility falls to brisbane or potentially the dolphins is, they can not only get players that should stick with them but they also grow their own supporter base. If little kids have the bronco badge on their junior jersey that can only help.

You saw canberra with souths logan which got us papa, milf, TPJ with the latter two being more effort then they were worth and only papa staying, plus unlike the broncos you arent really going to get supporters out of that area.

Sooner or later the broncos may wish to administer / foster their own junior league, which has been pretty much part and parcel of rugby league everywhere forever...
Having done my Schooling and playing in both states I would say NSW system is much more backward.

Next to no Schools play RL, and the clubs that do struggle for numbers big time.

I played for Kellyville Bushrangers in the Parra Comp as a teen at the time we where one of the best in the competition in our division but we could only play with numbers from younger players who would play after our game and then a few of us would do the older ages game as well.

Considering we where one of the better sides you can just imagine how it was for other teams.

When I was at school plenty wanted to play RL but would rather it be at school during the week rather then weekends where they can play other sports they already do, and the only School in my entire area that I knew played it and was known for it was Patrician bros in Blacktown, which is a private school as well but probably the best RL school in NSW.

This is a NRL problem, no way around it, they have the money and the pathways are clogged.

If you want to grow the game you want to bring the game to the kids not make them find you, unless this is fixed the game is going to have massive issues for the future.

Even if alot of parents have issues with the physical nature, imo with how the game is these days you would want them playing touch untill they hit puberty anyway as ball skills are significantly more important then anything learned in defence.

Titans: message received loud and clear.

Their complete and utter detachment from reality is cute.
View attachment 15627

I like two things about it, they've said two of each, the girls and men and they are aiming at something.

If you say it publicly you're accountable and have to be held to it. Richmond did a similar thing in 2010, they'd made the finals twice from 80-10 and not won a premiership.

They said in 2010- by 2020 won our 13th premiership, made the finals three times with one top four finish and 75,000 members.

They won three comps in that time.

The goal has to be matched with how you're going to do it, and if they are doing that I say good on them.

I remember after the 93 GF Porky said the Broncos would break Dragons record of 11 in a row- it was bold and clearly ridiculous but I love it.

I like two things about it, they've said two of each, the girls and men and they are aiming at something.

If you say it publicly you're accountable and have to be held to it. Richmond did a similar thing in 2010, they'd made the finals twice from 80-10 and not won a premiership.

They said in 2010- by 2020 won our 13th premiership, made the finals three times with one top four finish and 75,000 members.

The goal has to be matched with how you're going to do it, and if they are doing that I say good on them.

I remember after the 93 GF Porky said the Broncos would break Dragons record of 11 in a row- it was bold and clearly ridiculous but I love it.
I don’t disagree with you, but, as a male, I’ve also got a better chance of winning Miss Universe than they do of winning anything in the next 9 years, let alone 4 premierships.

We had to win ours, St George merely purchased theirs. Bitter much ?😁

Active Now

• Big Del
  • MrMoore
  • KickHaas
  • Fitzy
  • Santa
  • Rambstien
  • Jazza
  • Financeguy
  • Mustafur
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • porouian
  • bb_gun
  • Foordy
  • winslow_wong
  • GCBRONCO
  • kiwibronco
  • Broncorob
  • broncsgoat
  • Dash
... and 7 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.