Broncos v Cowboys build up thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeba

International
Mar 4, 2008
Less than 2 weeks out, and this is our next game, welcome to the first build-up thread for the season!

So this is the side BHQ have elected to send out in round 1.

1. Josh Hoffman
2. Jharal Yow Yeh
3. Justin Hodges
4. Gerard Beale
5. Denan Kemp
6. Darren Lockyer
7. Peter Wallace
8. Shane Tronc
9. Andrew McCullough
10. Ben Hannant
11. Sam Thaiday
12. Ben Te'o
13. Corey Parker
---------------------
14. Scott Anderson
15. Josh McGuire
16. Matt Gillett
17. Alex Glenn

Unfortunately injury has struck and there is a chance that Hodges will not be fit for week 1 (though the outlook gets more positive with each report we hear). And the trial form of the unnamed Dane Gagai, Jack Reed and Dane Carlaw has been very encouraging. I reckon we can expect to see something like this (if Hodges is unfit, I think this was BroncoMatt's expected lineup in the other thread too).

1. Hoffman
2. Yow Yeh
3. Glenn
4. Reed
5. Gagai
6. Lockyer
7. Wallace
8. Tronc
9. McCullough
10. Hannant
11. Thaiday
12. Te'o
13. Parker
-----------------
14. Hunt
15. McGuire
16. Carlaw
17. Gillett

Interesting that you both think Carlaw will get preference over Anderson. Is that because of the inclusion of Hunt as utility instead of Glenn, thus the need for an extra backrower who could potentially play front row if needed, on the bench?

I think either option would be Ok but Hook indicated that positions were in the line at Redcliffe and as far as Anderson goes, well IMO he was the least impressive of the forwards, plus as you mentioned Carlaw brings that little bit more versatility.

Be interesting to see what Griffin decides to do with Alex Glenn this year. I get the impression that he's set for a permanent transition to the backrow, which is a good move. But with the injury to Hodges I'd rather have Glenn in the centres for the short team - I trust his defence moreso than Beale's.

And it sounds like Ben Hunt's form in all the trials has been very impressive, so it's a tough call to leave him out of the 17. But I think he'd benefit from 80 minutes at halfback on a regular basis, which he'll realistically only get in Q Cup unless Wallace is injured (or shows the same disastrous form of 2010).

Also comes down to how capable McCullough is of producing a quality full game at hooker. Could easily end up with Glenn and Hunt on the bench. Many variables..

I'll be pretty pissed off if Carlaw is in the team, he is a cat and has always been a cat. Anderson has mongrel and runs the ball hard just what we need.

Bucking Beads said:
I'll be pretty pissed off if Carlaw is in the team, he is a cat and has always been a cat. Anderson has mongrel and runs the ball hard just what we need.

Maybe so, but if as Jeb says Carlaw was in good form and Anderson not, I think it'd be a good precedent to see Carlaw chosen.

I would like to see Griffin reward good - and punish bad - form where it's warranted.

Coxy said:
Bucking Beads said:

Maybe so, but if as Jeb says Carlaw was in good form and Anderson not, I think it'd be a good precedent to see Carlaw chosen.

I would like to see Griffin reward good - and punish bad - form where it's warranted.

Carlaw should be punished for the years of pathetic football he gave us...

Not to mention Anderson can be pretty inconsistent and has yet to really nail down his spot.

If reports are on the money, then I have no problem with Dane getting a few games.

Then again, I get the feeling Dodds will get a game.

I am excited about this game, a real young backline with Lockyer set to lead them...

Big Pete said:
Not to mention Anderson can be pretty inconsistent and has yet to really nail down his spot.

If reports are on the money, then I have no problem with Dane getting a few games.

Then again, I get the feeling Dodds will get a game

Much better option than Carlaw IMO.

Bucking Beads said:
[quote="Big Pete":1f9g2s0x]Not to mention Anderson can be pretty inconsistent and has yet to really nail down his spot.

Much better option than Carlaw IMO.[/quote:1f9g2s0x]
From the reports I heard, I don't think Dodds will be fit on time...
Besides, I'm with Coxy on this one, and hopefully Griffin will reward work, performance and current form!

Coxy said:
Porthoz said:
Besides, I'm with Coxy on this one,

[icon_ee A rare moment in BHQ history [icon_lol1.
Yeah, I was going to say that when you actually wrote something that made sense! [icon_razz1 [icon_lol1.

Porthoz said:
Bucking Beads said:
[quote="Big Pete":1qsms7fz]Not to mention Anderson can be pretty inconsistent and has yet to really nail down his spot.

Besides, I'm with Coxy on this one, and hopefully Griffin will reward work, performance and current form![/quote:1qsms7fz]

Dodds is supposed to be ready for round 1 but will probably get a few games in QLD cup to get up to speed I would think. Carlaw played well in one trial give that man a start [icon_shru

Bucking Beads said:
Porthoz said:
[quote="Bucking Beads":bdz7r7xy][quote="Big Pete":bdz7r7xy]Not to mention Anderson can be pretty inconsistent and has yet to really nail down his spot.

Besides, I'm with Coxy on this one, and hopefully Griffin will reward work, performance and current form![/quote:bdz7r7xy]

Dodds is supposed to be ready for round 1 but will probably get a few games in QLD cup to get up to speed I would think. Carlaw played well in one trial give that man a start [icon_shru[/quote:bdz7r7xy]

Well fucken hell Beads what more can you do to get a start? If it was Kemp who played one good trial you'd give him a start despitehis woeful form over the last 2 years.

And I don't hear anyone complaining about Gagai being given a walk up start on the wing despite only playing one trial in first grade and playing well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.