Status
Not open for further replies.
Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Big Pete said:
Decent bench too, Thaiday will probably move to prop at some point in the game.

I'll be very interested to see how McGuire has improved over the offseason.

I am more worried about any new Tatts he has...

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
The Rock said:
So the bench would be:

Hunt
Glenn
McGuire
Gillett

A little light for my liking.

ethos

ethos

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
Too light for my liking too, but I don't mind it for the first game of the season. The Cowboys game is always played at breakneck speed and the players' match fitness isn't at its peak. So, being more mobile is probably a plus.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
ethos said:
Too light for my liking too, but I don't mind it for the first game of the season. The Cowboys game is always played at breakneck speed and the players' match fitness isn't at its peak. So, being more mobile is probably a plus.

True. But Matt Scott is a machine. I'd be worried if he's on when Hannant is off that he might really give the Cows momentum.

Tronc still worries me with his lumbering, slow play but we'll see how he goes.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
The Rock said:
Coxy said:
[quote="The Rock":e47l39uy]So the bench would be:

Hunt
Glenn
McGuire
Gillett

A little light for my liking.

Yeah despite the extra weight these players have put on, I think we would benefit replacing Hunt with Anderson. I still think it's a waste having Glenn and Hunt on the bench.[/quote:e47l39uy]

Agreed, plus I think Hunt would benefit more playing 80 minutes at halfback in Q Cup in preparation for replacing Wallace when....errr...if Wallace proves he's shit [icon_lol1.

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Personally I see the configuration of the starting forwards that leads it to being a light bench with the players named, more then the problem of having Hunt and Glenn on the bench together as such(though I will say I'm more open to the idea then previous of playing Hunt in the Queensland Cup fulltime, provided its a view as being to develop him as a future 5/8th possibility as well as a halfback option not just the inevitable halfback replacement for Wallace as Coxy and others see him as being). Play Thaiday in the frontrow and Tronc onto the bench, Gillett or Te'o in the secondrow and you have more then enough options in the front and backrow off the bench. So yes you could solve it by bringing in Anderson or another frontrower and removing Hunt, but its not the only viable solution.

In the end it will be very interesting to see the side that will be named and just can't wait for that whistle to blow for round 1.

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
I hardly see the point of having Hunt off the bench, McCullough should be playing 80 mins of footy by now and Glenn can fill in at hooker at a pinch if need be.

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Bucking Beads said:
I hardly see the point of having Hunt off the bench, McCullough should be playing 80 mins of footy by now and Glenn can fill in at hooker at a pinch if need be.

Hunt can provide serious playmaking options from the bench that Glenn can't, sure Glenn might be able to slot in there at hooker from a defensive perspective, but dummyhalf service, kicking and other playmaking area's he can't match Hunt and the same can be said at 5/8th or halfback. He also gains experience in first grade much the same Darren Lockyer did early in his career at the Broncos before they played him at fullback fulltime.

In saying that though Beads I see the advantages of playing him in the Queensland Cup fulltime also and perhaps yes this is the better track longterm, I just don't like this assumption people here make that his immediately the future halfback, if we go this way I'm fine with it, but I see him as an option at both 5/8th or halfback longterm because despite this automatic assumption Wallace will just fail he may prove otherwise understand?

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
I am not against Hunt playing off the bench but I think he is better off playing QLD cup with the hope of securing a spot at halfback. I guess it depends on whether McCullough is going to be playing 80 mins or not.

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Bucking Beads said:
I am not against Hunt playing off the bench but I think he is better off playing QLD cup with the hope of securing a spot at halfback. I guess it depends on whether McCullough is going to be playing 80 mins or not.

Nah thats fair enough Beads, you know the funny thing about all this is, this could be solved if we just had a reserve grade competition again instead of the under 20's which imo doesn't do enough to introduce these younger players to the sort of level they will encounter. At least with a reserve grade competition they would be playing with players who have real experience in first grade too not just the odd callup.

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Dunno if its been posted already but Hodges injury is only a grade one tear and not grade two as first feared, making it more likely he will play.

Tristan Croll
Bronco Media
2/03/2011 11:55:40 AM
http://www.broncos.com.au/default.aspx? ... -good-news

Broncos star centre Justin Hodges has received good news on his torn hamstring he suffered during the final trial match win over Melbourne.

Medical staff have revealed Hodges’ injury is only a grade one tear giving him the best chance at being ready for the opener against the Cowboys on Friday March 11.

“It’s only a grade one tear, so obviously they thought it was grade two but it’s only grade one so it puts me in good stead for round one hopefully,” Hodges told Bronco TV.

Charmamba

Charmamba

Life is a Fantasy League
Jan 9, 2011
Confidence building at the Broncos!!

My pack is the best, says Wallace
Brisbane halfback Peter Wallace claims he'll be operating behind the NRL's best forward pack this season.

With the possibility of Australian forward Sam Thaiday switching to play in the front-row alongside star recruit Ben Hannant, Wallace believes the bulked-up Broncos have the power, skill and depth to muscle up against any forward unit.

"I think it's the best pack in the NRL, it's not just big, it's also very mobile with a lot of strike power," said Wallace on Friday.

"They're not just bash and barge, they can pass and they've got some skill.

http://www.nrl.com/my-pack-is-the-best, ... fault.aspx

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Then who will he blame if he ends up playing rubbish this season???

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
Best forward pack, lolno. Last season it was mediocre at best, Hannant wouldn't make it the best by himself.

ningnangnong

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Forum Staff
Mar 5, 2008
Our forwards performed poorly last season, but on paper it is a fairly strong pack.

If we're including Thaiday in the front row (which I'd rather we didn't), then this is how it shapes up:

Props: Hannant, Thaiday, Tronc
Backrowers: Te'o, Gillett, Glenn, Parker

They're just the first choice forwards, we've also got a bit of depth with Anderson, Kenny, McGuire, Dodds, etc.

Could be a very damaging pack IMO. Also, unlike most other Broncos packs, this one has the ability to get away plenty of offloads, so hopefully we've been working on our support play in the off-season.

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
ningnangnong said:
Our forwards performed poorly last season, but on paper it is a fairly strong pack.

If we're including Thaiday in the front row (which I'd rather we didn't), then this is how it shapes up:

Props: Hannant, Thaiday, Tronc
Backrowers: Te'o, Gillett, Glenn, Parker

They're just the first choice forwards, we've also got a bit of depth with Anderson, Kenny, McGuire, Dodds, etc.

Could be a very damaging pack IMO. Also, unlike most other Broncos packs, this one has the ability to get away plenty of offloads, so hopefully we've been working on our support play in the off-season.

Agreed, I wouldn't go as far as Wallace to say its the best pack currently, but theres still a lot of potential in it, especially in the backrow, I can't remember the last time we have had such depth there especially in ballplaying potential.

ningnangnong

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Forum Staff
Mar 5, 2008
GCBRONCO said:
Agreed, I wouldn't go as far as Wallace to say its the best pack currently, but theres still a lot of potential in it, especially in the backrow, I can't remember the last time we have had such depth there especially in ballplaying potential.

Yep, definitely. I think the biggest issue isn't ability, but rather consistency.

vertigo

vertigo

State of Origin Rep
Mar 2, 2010
ningnangnong said:
Also, unlike most other Broncos packs, this one has the ability to get away plenty of offloads, so hopefully we've been working on our support play in the off-season.

I'm happy were adapting to second phase play, from what I remember we never used to have it and weren't great at defending against it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Mustafur
  • easybreezy
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.