Broncos V Newcastle post match talk

Shannon would've saved us.

too ugly tonight. Newcastle adjusted their game to suit conditions whilst still concentrating on Broncos weaknesses = win

Ironbroncos said:
too ugly tonight. Newcastle adjusted their game to suit conditions whilst still concentrating on Broncos weaknesses = win

What weaknesses? Not our right hand side?

I was confused at Israel playing fullback in defence for us, but he did pull off a wonderful tackle on Mullen or Gidley or whoever it was to save a certain try...

Sorry to spoil the party for Locky.

It was terrible conditions. A shorter halftime and drier conditions may have had a different outcome. However we played to the conditions.

All the best for the rest of the season.

icon_thumbs_u

rnabokov said:
Ironbroncos said:

Marker Defence was crap as, De Gois had a field day making easy metres through the likes of Kenny n co struggling to get up. They ran straight through the Broncos, where as the Broncos tried running round them.

Lockyer and his passing wasnt spot on, some forced passing in wet weather footy..Newcastle forwards ran over us

I didn't see nor hear the game.

So what went wrong?

What a shit game. No one changed their game to wet weather footy. The forwards were completely soft, and I am bewildered as to why Dave Taylor is playing for the comets, while we have the crap that we had tonight.

Hodges is completely selfish at times. And Michaels - time to go. Why run towards the sideline? In wet weather?
Someone needs to teach Winterstein some defense. Like don't run back into the ingoal and get tackled.

They all turned up with a completely shit attitute. Every time we have big occasion matches we lose, because we let the occasion take over. First game back at Suncorp - loss. Bennett back at Suncorp - loss. There are others that I can't think of right now.

Too many offloads. Again.

I knew we would get caught out, but the attitute needs to lift. They all need a swift kick up the arse.

Ironbroncos said:
rnabokov said:
Ironbroncos said:

Marker Defence was crap as, De Gois had a field day making easy metres through the likes of Kenny n co struggling to get up. They ran straight through the Broncos, where as the Broncos tried running round them.

Lockyer and his passing wasnt spot on, some forced passing in wet weather footy..Newcastle forwards ran over us

OK - now I have a ...Ahhh ... a clue.

But how was our fearsome right hand side backline?

And yeah - where is Taylor? Did Palmer stand up?

didnt really matter what side the ball was played, Newcastle had it covered, they numbered up when it counted and pressured Lockyer/Wallace..

no Taylor tonight, Wapau had a pretty solid game, put a nice hit on Jnr Sau i think it was.

Ironbroncos said:
didnt really matter what side the ball was played, Newcastle had it covered, they numbered up when it counted and pressured Lockyer/Wallace..

Well that should be a bloody obvious tactic for any opposition.

It's what we do to counter the bleedin' obvious that matters.

In any case, this was our 2nd match against good opposition. We lost both. Great opportunity to learn and move Forward.

Ironbroncos said:

Just the way I thought they would play us.

I haven't seen the game (I hate not seeing matches) but probably won't watch it after what people have said.

But basically it seems like Newcastle played a smarter game based on the conditions. It sounds like it was just one of those dour, crappy rainy type of games. We'll bounce back next week against Manly in better conditions.

ethos said:
Ironbroncos said:

Just the way I thought they would play us.

I haven't seen the game (I hate not seeing matches) but probably won't watch it after what people have said.

But basically it seems like Newcastle played a smarter game based on the conditions. It sounds like it was just one of those dour, crappy rainy type of games. We'll bounce back next week against Manly in better conditions.

However all over the place MAnly is, they hit the crap out of you in defence - just like the Dragons did to us.

I wonder with what team we will bounce bacK, and how Henjak addresses poor marker defence (Bennett couldn't), and deals with the targetting of Wallace & Lockyer.

rnabokov said:
However all over the place MAnly is, they hit the crap out of you in defence - just like the Dragons did to us.

I wonder with what team we will bounce bacK, and how Henjak addresses poor marker defence (Bennett couldn't), and deals with the targetting of Wallace & Lockyer.

True.

But Manly have struggled to score points this year and a dry day time field should mean we'll be able to spread the ball wide and beat them with skill. Yeah, marker defence is still an issue for us, even though our pack is the lightest it's been in a long time, and we're pretty fortunate that opposition teams haven't targeted us more in this area.

Newcastle in Newcastle is a very difficult ask though, especially when you add in the rain. But then again I can't really comment on anything considering I haven't actually seen the game. :P

We need to be making metres up the middle before we shift the ball out wide. We were fortunate in most of our games because Clinton and Kenny have been doing pretty well in that area, but tonight they were almost nonexistant.

I also get the feeling that if we had Michael Ennis in the side, we probably would have won. He likes the play direct and that's when we would have been at our best, spreading the ball in the later tackles.

If we are going to stick with having both Gorrell and McCulloch in the side, Gorrell needs to start IMO. I am a big fan of Macca but he is still a bit green and not ready to start the game yet IMO.

Although I'd be keen to see PJ Marh's Q-Cup form over the next few weeks, if he can stay injury free that is.

Active Now

• Bish
  • Sproj
  • sooticus
  • Bronx48
  • Battler
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Johnny92
  • Browny
  • LittleDavey
  • broncos4life
  • Skyblues87
  • Wolfie
  • ChewThePhatt
  • MrTickyMcG
  • broncotville
  • bert_lifts
  • Nerd
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Foordy
... and 12 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.