Broncos vs Knights LIVE SCORES SPOILERS REVEALED

• Thread starter broncos_are_the_best
  • Start date
Alec said:
Coxy said:
:shock: OK, now I'm as big a fan of the K. Hunt as any bloke, but to say he's in better FORM than Slater is laughable. Ditto Bowen and Gidley. Bowen is positively woeful at the moment, probably because of the niggling knee injury that's kept him out this week.

Slater is the form fullback in the competition, without a shadow of a doubt. Doesn't mean he's a better player than the others, because each of them have different things they're good at/not good at.

And one thing to consider is that at Test level it's hard to play yourself out of the jersey. At the moment, Stewart and Hunt are the incumbent Test fullbacks and there would have to be compelling reasons why one of them shouldn't get the number 1 maroon and blue jersey (they're not wearing green and gold for this test).

And before anyone says it, Slater's form isn't a compelling reason to say that Hunt and Stewart can't do the job. That another player could do it better is often irrelevant in Test selections. People can whinge about it all they like, but form isn't the sole criteria for selection.

I am not saying he's in better form than Slater. That is not how players are rated IMO. Well, not completely on that. Hunt has shown us how good he is in the last 2 seasons...as have Bowen and Gidley. And they all had great 06s/07s (Bowen didn't really have a great 06 really, but still had an amazing 07 though). At their best, they are better than Slater. They all also offer a lot more with the ball. That's another reason why I rate fullbacks like that - they can come in as a 5/8th when needed. And sometimes it's needed a lot, since most real 5/8ths these days are just centres. Slater is lucky he is playing with Cam Smith in the side. Cam Smith plays like a hooker and halfback at the same time, while Cronk plays as a 5/8th. All Slater has to do is run through holes, and that's what he's doing...and doing well I guess, but that's not enough for me to rate him as the best fullback in the world.

Also another thing on form, you just watch it go right down in the second half of the season when he doesn't get picked for Origin, or if Smith gets injured. Would he still be the best fullback then?

Yes he would, Slater creates so much for himself and teammates running as a 2nd and 3rd receiver outside of kicking the football he does everything that Bowen and Gidley do plus has the X factor Bowen has plus is very safe in defense. Hunt is no more effective as a 2nd receiver than Slater is, in fact he is less effective because he doesn't create what Slater can time and time again. You don't watch Melbourne if you think Cronk plays as a 5/8th also, he does 75% of their kicking and takes more ball at 1st receiver than anyone else by a long way. Just because Smith is brilliant and sets things up doesn't mean he is the halfback of the side it just means he is an extremely creative hooker. It is laughable that you think all Slater has been doing is run through holes, go back and watch the Storms matches from 04-Now he does not just hole run he times his run into the line to create the gap for himself or others, he also puts other teammates away (something Hunt can't do) generally the guy creates havoc for the opposition defense he is the better fullback end of story.

Reports are saying 2 to 3 weeks for Rogers.I actually thought he would probably get off even with carry over points.Not saying he should but a bit surprised.

Kee said:
Reports are saying 2 to 3 weeks for Rogers.I actually thought he would probably get off even with carry over points.Not saying he should but a bit surprised.

Really? I admit I thought it was bad when I saw it happen originally, but seeing the replay again on the footy show or sunday roast whatever it was yesterday I thought it wasn't so terrible.

Kee said:

I think he is a bit unlucky in the sense he didn't have his hand between the legs however, the guy got into a very bad position and it look horrible.

FCB BB AKA MB said:
Alec said:
Coxy said:
:shock: OK, now I'm as big a fan of the K. Hunt as any bloke, but to say he's in better FORM than Slater is laughable. Ditto Bowen and Gidley. Bowen is positively woeful at the moment, probably because of the niggling knee injury that's kept him out this week.

Slater is the form fullback in the competition, without a shadow of a doubt. Doesn't mean he's a better player than the others, because each of them have different things they're good at/not good at.

And one thing to consider is that at Test level it's hard to play yourself out of the jersey. At the moment, Stewart and Hunt are the incumbent Test fullbacks and there would have to be compelling reasons why one of them shouldn't get the number 1 maroon and blue jersey (they're not wearing green and gold for this test).

And before anyone says it, Slater's form isn't a compelling reason to say that Hunt and Stewart can't do the job. That another player could do it better is often irrelevant in Test selections. People can whinge about it all they like, but form isn't the sole criteria for selection.

I am not saying he's in better form than Slater. That is not how players are rated IMO. Well, not completely on that. Hunt has shown us how good he is in the last 2 seasons...as have Bowen and Gidley. And they all had great 06s/07s (Bowen didn't really have a great 06 really, but still had an amazing 07 though). At their best, they are better than Slater. They all also offer a lot more with the ball. That's another reason why I rate fullbacks like that - they can come in as a 5/8th when needed. And sometimes it's needed a lot, since most real 5/8ths these days are just centres. Slater is lucky he is playing with Cam Smith in the side. Cam Smith plays like a hooker and halfback at the same time, while Cronk plays as a 5/8th. All Slater has to do is run through holes, and that's what he's doing...and doing well I guess, but that's not enough for me to rate him as the best fullback in the world.

Also another thing on form, you just watch it go right down in the second half of the season when he doesn't get picked for Origin, or if Smith gets injured. Would he still be the best fullback then?

Yes he would, Slater creates so much for himself and teammates running as a 2nd and 3rd receiver outside of kicking the football he does everything that Bowen and Gidley do plus has the X factor Bowen has plus is very safe in defense. Hunt is no more effective as a 2nd receiver than Slater is, in fact he is less effective because he doesn't create what Slater can time and time again. You don't watch Melbourne if you think Cronk plays as a 5/8th also, he does 75% of their kicking and takes more ball at 1st receiver than anyone else by a long way. Just because Smith is brilliant and sets things up doesn't mean he is the halfback of the side it just means he is an extremely creative hooker. It is laughable that you think all Slater has been doing is run through holes, go back and watch the Storms matches from 04-Now he does not just hole run he times his run into the line to create the gap for himself or others, he also puts other teammates away (something Hunt can't do) generally the guy creates havoc for the opposition defense he is the better fullback end of story.

I agree, and I've posted as much elsewhere. Slater is both the form FB right closely followed by Gidley. Slater also is so effective cleaning up at the back.

Hunt however can put players away - it just seems he is going through a bad patch. Nevertheless, at present, Hunt is way off compared to Slater and Gidley and I really hope he lifts for the Titans game.

We are going to really need him at his best.

It won't matter who is playing better as long as Hunt is in good form he will be picked.
The selectors usually go for the guy who is proven in test football under the pump, and Hunt is the guy, it's that simple.

my bet is if slater is picked hunt will be there somewhere aswell.....

nopatience101 said:
my bet is if slater is picked hunt will be there somewhere aswell.....

i've got a feeling Slater will be picked on the wing.

I think Stewart will get the job he is the favourite with the betting agencies which is usually a good indicator and is the incumbent and hasn't done anything wrong this year. I think they may bow to pressure and put Slater on a wing.

rnabokov said:
FCB BB AKA MB said:
Alec said:
Coxy said:

I agree, and I've posted as much elsewhere. Slater is both the form FB right closely followed by Gidley. Slater also is so effective cleaning up at the back.

Hunt however can put players away - it just seems he is going through a bad patch. Nevertheless, at present, Hunt is way off compared to Slater and Gidley and I really hope he lifts for the Titans game.

We are going to really need him at his best.

Yeah Hunts having a rough patch, but i also think its more the fact that the 3 players brisbane always turn to "Hunt,Hodges,Lockyer" arnt needed as much anymore we now have "Ennis,Wallace and Michaels and Boyd" All stepping up

Hunt hasnt seemed as hungry to get the ball. With the broncos not using their famous backline play as much this year, Hunt becomes the forgotten man in the opp 20.

he just needs to attack the line abit more like he did against the knights his try was almost a 10/10 i loved it and to see hodges supporting him and how quickly boyd got their to congrat him its looking good

Coxy said:
gUt said:
Kemp looks increasingly comfortable.

And that's no surprise to any of us who have long been calling for him to have an extended chance. Especially Mick, who's been NAUSEATING in his praise of the kid [icon_lol1.
He and Boyd are pretty close to locking themselves into the wing spots this year, purely with form.

[icon_lol1.

Yeah, I pretty much can't disagree with that mate. Not in the sense that I think he's the best thing since sliced bread, far from it. I still haven't even made up my mind about how good he can and will be long-term, it was more sheer frustration that he wasn't getting a run. That's all changed lately, so I'm enjoying seeing how he goes for a while.

Active Now

• Bucking Beads
  • Locky's Left Boot
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.