Broncos Vs Sharks Match Thread

QUEENSLANDER

QUEENSLANDER

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Anonymous person said:
so we all hate Gillett now and think hes a grub after he slid in feet first to try and stop a try, dont we? [icon_wink

yeah where is jeb?

E

Emma

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
I don't think Slater is a grub so I'm not saying this to justify anything, but my question is did Gillett actually slide in feet first or was it knees first? Whilst still stupid, there is a big difference.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Emma said:
I don't think Slater is a grub so I'm not saying this to justify anything, but my question is did Gillett actually slide in feet first or was it knees first? Whilst still stupid, there is a big difference.

+1. That's how I first saw it, but admittedly didn't look too closely other than the first replay. Looked like he went into it knee first more than anything, like he was going in late and tried to pull out.

But meh, it was probably dangerous and Tim Smith wasn't real happy with it. If he makes a habit of it then yeah, maybe he's a grub. But doing it once, hardly!

Meat77

Meat77

NRL Player
Feb 10, 2010
On another note, how funny was it that the Broncos consistently aimed their attack at Smith, particularly in the first half! Maybe the Ivan-knockers should take note that he does learn things from training every now and again!

schmix

schmix

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
QUEENSLANDER said:
Anonymous person said:
so we all hate Gillett now and think hes a grub after he slid in feet first to try and stop a try, dont we? [icon_wink

yeah where is jeb?

A warning has been given for this post. Posters should be aware than baiting and/or personal feuding are not acceptable behaviour. I have left it in place as an example (and I'm begging you Jeb, don't react),

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Meat77 said:
On another note, how funny was it that the Broncos consistently aimed their attack at Smith, particularly in the first half! Maybe the Ivan-knockers should take note that he does learn things from training every now and again!

What was also interesting was that they were equally (even more so?) successful attacking Barrett's side. Which is surprising to a point because Ben Pomeroy is actually a reasonable defender, but Gillett made him look ordinary.

Anonymous person

Anonymous person

Banned User
Dec 16, 2008
Emma said:
it was 100% foot first, guaranteed.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Yup, just had a look at the replay on fox sports.com.au and you can see he tried to shove the right boot in there. Not cool, but as I said, first time he's done it.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Well it seems 9 times out of 10 the Broncos direct the 2nd man play down the left, usually on the 4th tackle. So that kind of dictates the kick go to the right. I think that's the problem there.

I think they need to run the ball down Folau's side a bit more, especially if he has Yow Yeh or Kemp outside him. And yeah, kick to the left side a bit more.

ningnangnong

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Forum Staff
Mar 5, 2008
When Hunt was invovled in the second man play, he wasn't afraid to kick it on the fourth which resulted in a lot of opportunities for Winterstein. Likewise, Wallace doesn't mind putting through the odd grubber, but he's been in poor form up until yesterday, which is perhaps why we haven't seen that play much.

Professor47

Professor47

NRL Player
Mar 5, 2008
ningnangnong said:
When Hunt was invovled in the second man play, he wasn't afraid to kick it on the fourth which resulted in a lot of opportunities for Winterstein. Likewise, Wallace doesn't mind putting through the odd grubber, but he's been in poor form up until yesterday, which is perhaps why we haven't seen that play much.

I hate it when they get too kick happy though... sometimes they kick because they see the space but it is already 3v2 or 3v1 in some cases... through the hands!!!

G

Gingerballs

BRL Player
Feb 20, 2010
Anonymous person said:
so we all hate Gillett now and think hes a grub after he slid in feet first to try and stop a try, dont we?
He'd still need to lash out with a boot to the face of a defenceless opposition player before he enters Slater's stratosphere of grubbiness.

Donny

Donny

NRL Player
Mar 31, 2010
God just because he tryed to stop somebody scoring a try in 1:100000 of a second doesnt mean he is even close to being a grub. Gillet is awsome and i dobut he is a grub.

As for Winerstien being "quite" i think somebody hit the nail on the head with the Special K remark. Hunt used to grubber in behind the line on the sweeping play about 50% of the time and id reckon we scored almost everytime when he kicked, Hunt just had great vision. That try that Folau scored off the kick on half time was the first we have scored all year from a kick so i dont think out wingers have being getting my oppurtnities. Winerstien did set that try up for Gillet against the Cowboys with that great run down the sideline. I do agree that he looks very fit and storng this year, looks a good 10kgs heavy'r.

Charmamba

Charmamba

Life is a Fantasy League
Jan 9, 2011
As Coxy said, its the first time he has done it, If he makes a habit then yes his a grub. Nothing else really needs to be said and we do not need to drag another slater debate into a topic.

I am very happy with how Gillett is going as a player. Gillet,Lui,Glenn,YowYeh,Winter,Hoffman,Macca we have some superstars in the making at the Broncos.

QUEENSLANDER

QUEENSLANDER

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Coxy said:
Yup, just had a look at the replay on fox sports.com.au and you can see he tried to shove the right boot in there. Not cool, but as I said, first time he's done it.

MATT Gillett has been charged by the NRL with grade one dangerous contact but will not miss a match with an early guilty plea.

Phew! lets just hope that ankle / leg injury he has comes good

Anonymous person

Anonymous person

Banned User
Dec 16, 2008
draggx said:
As Coxy said, its the first time he has done it, If he makes a habit then yes his a grub. Nothing else really needs to be said and we do not need to drag another slater debate into a topic.
let it be noted though that Billy Slater has never even been CHARGED with a feet-first tackle, let alone found guilty of one. as soon as it was illegal, he stopped doing it. you cant be labelled a grub for doing something that is perfectly within the rules of the game.

anyway, good to see Gillett wont miss a game because of it. part of me wants him to take a week off anyway to get his leg 100% right.

Charmamba

Charmamba

Life is a Fantasy League
Jan 9, 2011
Anonymous person said:
anyway, good to see Gillett wont miss a game because of it. part of me wants him to take a week off anyway to get his leg 100% right.

Yes and no i mean the Bulldogs game is a big one for us. We need 2 wins in a row and Gillett is a gun playing in the backs.

Anonymous person

Anonymous person

Banned User
Dec 16, 2008
yeah i know, but the last thing i want is him to play because we need to win and then he hurts his leg and misses 6 weeks.

thats where we kept going wrong with lockyer, playing him because we needed to win instead of letting him come back when hes ready. just dont wanna see that happen again.

Active Now

• Brocko
  • Stix
  • Bucking Beads
  • kiwi2
  • Astro
  • Broncorob
  • Foordy
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Santa
  • FACTHUNT
  • Yeahdawg
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Harry Sack
  • Wolfie
  • Waynesaurus
  • Allo
  • Behind enemy lines
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.